“Nice hotel, shockingly bad service and irritating fragrance!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes

Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes
Ranked #5 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Adelaide, Australia
“Nice hotel, shockingly bad service and irritating fragrance!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was a guest at the Majestic Barriere in Cannes on June 3. I had been looking forward to staying in the hotel. Unfortunately my excitement turned to disappointment as the room I was given looked dirty with marks on the wall and paint cracking on the wardrobe doors. The Majestic Barriere is a five star hotel and this room was not in a good condition. This room was 512.

The weight scales in the bathroom did not function. It would not work. Also after many attempts the TV was not working. I was tired from my travels and I decided to have some rest in bed. I asked for a king room and I noticed the bed was 2 single beds pushed together. This is very uncomfortable to sleep on as the bed moves apart and there is no real layer on the mattress apart from the mattress protector.

Two singles beds do not suffice for a king bed. Soon after laying in bed one of the beds wheels fell off and the bed was lopsided. I tried to fix this myself but I couldn't attach the leg to the bed.

At this time I called guest services to have someone come to help me fix the bed and television. The telephone operator advised me that he would send someone to fix the room. I went to La Plage and spent a few hours relaxing there. I had to spend 29 Euro for a sunbed as I couldn't rest in the room. The room smelled like the fragrance from the lobby. The whole hotel smells like the Foquet fragrance.

This fragrance was starting to give me a headache. If I had known that the hotel was going to smell like a perfumery I would have stayed away. After a while the smell is quite powerful and there was no where to escape it in the hotel.

When I returned to my room I was very disappointed to find that my bed was still unfixed. I had been away many hours and I wanted to go to bed. Once again I called guest services and asked for someone to come fix my bed. I was advised that someone would be at my room very soon.

I waited in the room. Not able to watch television as it still was not working. The room fragrance was making my head sore. It began to irritate me. I was very agitated that the service was so terrible in this hotel. It is a five star hotel and I am left waiting over 5 hours to have someone fix the bed?

I called guest services, yet again. This time I could hear some men talking and laughing before the operator bothered to address me. I had explained that I needed to go to sleep and i wanted the bed to be fixed. I paid over €220 and I wanted to sleep in the middle of a king bed for that price. The man on the phone laughed and once more said that someone would be at my room soon.

By this time I was so frustrated and angry. In addition to this, my head was aching as that fragrance was irritating me. It's not even a subtle smell. It is potent! I went for a walk to calm down. When I returned to my room I found the bed was fixed. The bedside table was moved away from the bed and no one bothered to neaten it up again. The television was fixed but by this time my headache was very terrible, caused by an awful mix of frustration and the irritating fragrance. I had called reception to speak to a manager to make a complaint.

The duty manager was very polite. I was advised I would have a new room. I had a drink at the bar while the new room was being prepared. I was slightly happy to be upgraded to a suite with a terrace, room 249. The terrace was nice to get fresh air away from the fragrance of the room again. Although I was on the second floor and I could hear the loud diners at the poolside restaurant. My plans for the evening were RUINED by your incompetent staff.

My initial room and bed could have been fixed quickly and I could have enjoyed my night out in Cannes. I live in Australia, I don't get to Europe very often, mainly because of the price and I have limited time when I do travel due to work commitments. So when I do come to Europe and I have one night to enjoy Cannes I don't want my night to be ruined by a hotel that is meant to have a good reputation, is still expensive and absolutely stinks.

My frustration continued when I checked out. There was a €304 charge on my room account that was not mine. I was told this was a charge for breakfast. What did I eat for €304? This incorrect charge was removed. The whole checkout process took around 25 minutes. Way longer than it should have. I then asked another receptionist a question and she advised me there was a €42 charge on my account that was outstanding for wine from the mini bar. I never used any of the overpriced minibar items. Again this was incorrect and removed. I thought i was being pranked as this seemed like a complete joke!

So I feel there are many issues that need to be addressed for the comfort of future guests. I have never been so annoyed by bad service like I was in this hotel. This really did ruin my time in Cannes.

I could have chosen to stay at any of the other lovely hotels in Cannes but I chose to stay at the Majestic Barriere. I feel on this occasion I should have chosen the Carlton. I know errors sometimes occur, that is normal, everyday life but over the last two days at this hotel there were too many errors and service issues to ignore. This has left me upset with a headache and 2 days of my holiday ruined. When i emailed the hotel asking for a refund, i was told that i would only be able to be upgraded (subject to availability) on my next visit. Quite funny to think that i would return to the hotel again after this comedy of errors! one cocktail and upgrade does not fix 2 ruined days of my holiday.

I am still waiting after a few weeks to hear back from the manager regarding the refund as i have emailed the hotel again. Please be cautious about booking this hotel if you are irritated by overpowering fragrance.

The buffet breakfast was superb but it should be for the price.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you don't like strong fragrances or at least get a room with a balcony so...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mark_Trotta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Right on the Croisette, opposite the Palais, and surrounded by luxury shopping and restaurants, oozing Southern French glam and charm. Shockingly expensive but if you are staying here you probably dont care about the price. It's very Cannes. Great rooms, excellent service, gorgeous staff, and room service actually has better food than the overpriced, awful restaurant in the Lobby (Fouquets). Great choice for festival travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about the hotel Majestic Barriere.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our unique location and that you took advantage of proximity of luxury shops and restaurants.

I am also very pleased to read that you appreciated our rooms with their elegant and classic decoration. Thank you a lot for the positive comments concerning the service we provide and all our staff.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again for another experience!

Kindest regards,

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Excellent stay at the Majestic where we spent the weekend with our two little girls. What an amazing experience! The hotel location on the Croisette and close to the Festival Hall is just perfect.

The magic of the hotel is mainly due to the staff: extremely friendly and nice, professional, dynamic and with a high level of customer service. We clearly felt like a VIPs and it all felt so natural! A special mention to everyone. Everything has been perfect from check-in to check out!

We had the opportunity to enjoy the beach and its restaurant, the pool and the bar, superb! With our sea view terrace, I wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are amazing and no need to secure high floor ones,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your nice comments regarding your recent stay with your family at the Majestic Barrière.

We are very lucky to enjoy such a good location on the famous Croisette, few steps away from the Croisette and in front of the Mediterranean Sea…

Thank you also for all your appreciations, as we are working hardly every day to ensure that all of our valued guests are completely satisfied. Therefore, I am delighted to know that you left our hotel with this very good impression of our superb location and perfect services we provided to you and your family. I am very happy too, you took the full advantage of our new sandy beach, its restaurant and our outdoor swimming pool. The good quality of those services is very important during the stay with the family.

So once again, I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience and how highly you valued proposed service. We aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and are pleased to hear your every need was taken care of.

We would love to welcome you for another perfect experience with us, as soon as possible!

With best regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Through a happy set of coincidences I ended up at this hotel. The service was fantastic. It is the best hotel I have ever been to. The service was French at its most stylish and full of class. the front desk were the best trained. Nothing was too much trouble. Lots of helpful advice on where to eat but one of the best meals I had was actually in the hotel restaurant. Top chefs create fantastic meals. I stayed just after a hectic convention and this afforded the staff a little more time to relax and converse. The view from the hotel room across the bay was a joy every morning. Breakfast in front of the window was a fantastic experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review concerning your recent stay at the Majestic Barriere Hotel*****.

All of us are specially delighted to learn that you have fully appreciated all the aspects of your stay and with great pleasure we read your nice compliments as a fantastic reward.

It is always a pleasure to receive such a nice feedback. Be sure that your comments will be shared with the rest of the team and especially with the reception desk staff in order to let them know they managed to reach your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon for a new top class dream stay,

Your sincerely,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Everything about the experience at this hotel exceeded our expectations.
- Superb location within walking distance to the old town
- Simple but excellent breakfast
- Best hotel concierge I've experienced anywhere (thanks for all the tips Roger and for helping us when our bank card was taken by the machine)
- Luxurious bedding for a great night's sleep
- Every in room amenity you could think of
- Great housekeeping service twice daily with chocolates on your pillow each night
- Lovely big white fluffy towels
- The view from the room over the bay of Cannes was stunning
- The housekeeping staff actually wear black and white french maid outfits - so cute!

A few things for improvement:
1) 20 Euro charged to the bill for using an international adaptor (the charge was removed)
2) The private beach is not amazing (get a seat on the jetty if you can) and we were charged for using it even though it was included in package (again this charge was later removed)
3) The shower in the room is TINY .... the smallest shower I've ever seen

Overall, this hotel far exceeded our expectations of what a hotel in Europe should be. It is a great base to explore from and we will be returning.

Room Tip: Room 617 has a great view over the bay
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KerryWilliams56
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your nice comments regarding your recent stay at the Majestic Barrière.

We are very lucky to enjoy such a good location on the Croisette, close to the old town, few steps away from the Croisette, in front of the Mediterranean Sea…

Thank you very much for all your appreciations. We are working very hard to ensure that all of our valued guests are completely satisfied. Therefore, I am delighted to know that you left our hotel with pleasant memories and a good impression of our superb location, our excellent breakfast, the housekeeping service and so on.

I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience and how highly you valued proposed service. We aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and are pleased to hear your every need was taken care of. I am glad to know you will definitively recommend our hotel and you will be back, we hope very soon. Your appreciation means a lot to us, "merci beaucoup!"

I am just very sorry that you do not agree with our prices’ policy, and we do our best the next time there won’t be a removed position on your bill.

Again, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide your feedback, as we know your time is valuable.

We would love to welcome you for another perfect experience with us, as soon as possible !

With best regards,

miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel was in a great location. Last hotel we stayed in-ended a two week France vacation. Room was nice size,we had a sea view-very nice, no balcony but still nice. Service at front great, front desk check in Matilda very nice and Caroline the manager very nice and helpful-took care of a minor problem immediately. Concierge was great and very helpful as well.
Went to beach twice, 1st day great experience. 2 day they were a little off. Beach c
Uh recently renovated and very nice.
Hotel in a great location- bfast was good. No complaints about this hotel. Would def recommend if staying in Cannes.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Client,

Thank you very much for choosing the hotel Majestic Barrière and for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay with us. We strive to provide exceptional service; therefore your feedback is exceedingly important as it acts as an indicator of how we are performing.

We are very lucky to enjoy such a good location in Cannes; few steps away from the Croisette and in the heart of city centre. So we are very happy to see that you have taken advantage of it.

It’s a real pleasure to know you spent a nice stay at the Majestic Barriere at the end of you France vacation and you appreciated front desk ’s staff service and especially Matilda’s and Caroline’s. With a great pleasure I will be pleased to forward them your kind comments in regards to service they provided to you.

I am very glad that you enjoyed our new sandy beach and you had a great experience the first day. We will do our best, next time it will be “one of the key thing” you will remember.

Again, we thank you for your time, and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon again for, this tIme really perfect stay with us.

All the best,

los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I came with high expectations only to be seriously disappointed by the size of the room we were given. It literally fit only the bed and 2 side tables. Our window faced an air conditioning unit and the irony was that our own air conditioning didn't even work! We complained downstairs and they sent up a bellboy who just messed around with the a/c knob but couldn't fix it of course. Seeing as it was the middle of summer it was very humid and impossible to sleep in the stuffy small room. They should've offered something in exchange for the night we missed but no such thing was mentioned for the inconvenience.

I would only go back separately for the breakfast but I wouldn't pay to stay the night there again when there are so many other good hotels on the Croisette.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank oneinfivebill
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear guest,

We can see from your comments on TripAdvisor that your stay with us the last July didn’t live up yours expectations. We are sorry that your guest experience disappointed you.

We are concerned about your comment regarding the air conditioning. It is unacceptable that it did not working. Please accept our sincere apologies about it. To deliver the highest service to our customer is our prority, be assured that your comments have been carefully noted and measures have been taken to prevent such situation from occuring again.

We hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back at the Majestic Barrière in order to make you discover other types of rooms and to demonstrate the quality of our service.

Yours faithfully,