The Majestic lives up to what a 5 star luxury hotel should be, but with the accompanying steep price. Expect also to be charged for pretty much everything optional - internet, room service etc. I stayed for four nights at music conference time on business which is likely one of the busiest times of year for the hotel and the lobby was always very busy but the stay was quite enjoyable with no issues.
Check-in was pleasant and quick with a friendly front desk staff member. Room was booked as superior sea view and was upgraded to deluxe sea view. Rooms are luxuriously appointed but showing a bit of age - bathrooms was massive with a large tub and walk-in shower but would have been opulent about 15 years ago - but still showing signs of luxury - just not 2011 luxury. Marble walls and countertops, floors etc. The bathroom fixtures looked much newer so they likely did an upgrade there. Room was on the 2nd floor and "sea view" was a bit of stretch since yes i could see a bit of the water, but mostly i saw the turning circle and front entrance which was right below the room.
A warning - they have very effective blackout blinds that are motor controlled that i didn't know about. The turndown service put them down. I set my own alarm on my phone which I didn't realize was turned down low so I slept through it. I slept until 11:30am after the effects of jet lag and almost missed my first business meeting, so from then on, i raised the blinds slightly so that a little light came through in the morning.
The bed/bedding was quite nice and slept well. I did note that there were about 30 French channels, and at least 40 Arabic channels, some in English but a very limited selection of English stations - mostly just the news. A few of the Dubai stations were movie or HBO related and were in English audio and Arabic subtitles so were fine to watch. I guess when you have more Arabic channels than French - that tells you who usually stays at this hotel....
Restaurant was very busy with the conference and ate breakfast there every day which was included in the room package - and was a complete breakfast buffet incl hot and cold. If you had to pay separately you would want to think about going to the many restaurants nearby for probably 1/3 to 1/2 the price.
The sauna and steam room were small but fine, and quite hot - it's always nice to see a hotel sauna at a good hot temperature. They do charge you extra for the use of it which is not really normal for a luxury hotel, and a bit much. Spa services of course there are extra charges, but for 30 minutes in the sauna that kind of should be included in the already very generous room rate. I believe they were about to renovate the spa area after my stay.
Can't comment on the private beach or swimming pool since they were of course not used in January.
Overall, I would choose here for good value if you can get a special or off-season rate, but expect to face steep charges for the other usual costs. At regular rates, this would be a typical 5 star luxury hotel in a premium location, with steep room rates. If you're looking for value this is not the place, so i'm surprised to see other reviews complaining of how high all the extra charges are - which are typical at a 5 star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Majestic Barriere, icon of elegance and luxury, welcomes you into a world of refinement offering all the comfort of a legendary luxury hotel. The Majestic Barriere has a new look. Fully refurbished this winter, the hotel lobby and all of its rooms, suites and corridors reflect the latest trends bringing together luxury, tradition and modernity. In the near future, the Majestic 2010 will open a new wing, an extension of the existing hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Majestic Barriere Cannes Hotel Cannes
- Majestic Barriere Hotel Cannes
- Cannes Majestic Barriere Hotel