“Historic luxury hotel in great location - at a premium price”

Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes
Ranked #5 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 7 March 2011

The Majestic lives up to what a 5 star luxury hotel should be, but with the accompanying steep price. Expect also to be charged for pretty much everything optional - internet, room service etc. I stayed for four nights at music conference time on business which is likely one of the busiest times of year for the hotel and the lobby was always very busy but the stay was quite enjoyable with no issues.

Check-in was pleasant and quick with a friendly front desk staff member. Room was booked as superior sea view and was upgraded to deluxe sea view. Rooms are luxuriously appointed but showing a bit of age - bathrooms was massive with a large tub and walk-in shower but would have been opulent about 15 years ago - but still showing signs of luxury - just not 2011 luxury. Marble walls and countertops, floors etc. The bathroom fixtures looked much newer so they likely did an upgrade there. Room was on the 2nd floor and "sea view" was a bit of stretch since yes i could see a bit of the water, but mostly i saw the turning circle and front entrance which was right below the room.

A warning - they have very effective blackout blinds that are motor controlled that i didn't know about. The turndown service put them down. I set my own alarm on my phone which I didn't realize was turned down low so I slept through it. I slept until 11:30am after the effects of jet lag and almost missed my first business meeting, so from then on, i raised the blinds slightly so that a little light came through in the morning.

The bed/bedding was quite nice and slept well. I did note that there were about 30 French channels, and at least 40 Arabic channels, some in English but a very limited selection of English stations - mostly just the news. A few of the Dubai stations were movie or HBO related and were in English audio and Arabic subtitles so were fine to watch. I guess when you have more Arabic channels than French - that tells you who usually stays at this hotel....

Restaurant was very busy with the conference and ate breakfast there every day which was included in the room package - and was a complete breakfast buffet incl hot and cold. If you had to pay separately you would want to think about going to the many restaurants nearby for probably 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

The sauna and steam room were small but fine, and quite hot - it's always nice to see a hotel sauna at a good hot temperature. They do charge you extra for the use of it which is not really normal for a luxury hotel, and a bit much. Spa services of course there are extra charges, but for 30 minutes in the sauna that kind of should be included in the already very generous room rate. I believe they were about to renovate the spa area after my stay.

Can't comment on the private beach or swimming pool since they were of course not used in January.

Overall, I would choose here for good value if you can get a special or off-season rate, but expect to face steep charges for the other usual costs. At regular rates, this would be a typical 5 star luxury hotel in a premium location, with steep room rates. If you're looking for value this is not the place, so i'm surprised to see other reviews complaining of how high all the extra charges are - which are typical at a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Beachman727
Write a ReviewReviews (2,257)

Reviewed 9 February 2011

Stay at this hotel for one night in February for a leisure trip. This is indeed what you need in Cannes.

Location:
Excellent. If you use public transport, the hotel is very close to train station and the airport shuttle bus. It’s also excellent for shopping with all the boutiques downstairs and nearby. It is the closet hotel to the Festival Hall and hence very handy if you are attending a meeting.conference

Lobby/Arrival Area:
Grand lobby with a lot of beautiful orchids. It’s the most beautiful hotel lobby in Cannes. Comfortable sofas where you can relax.

Public Areas/Facilities
There is a main restaurant that stays open throughout the year. I wanted to try Le Petit Maison but it was closed during off peak. Nevertheless the main restaurant has a good set up. Dinner was busy and I couldn’t get a ‘table without reservation. Food must be good to be this busy. I had breakfast here and it was great. Breakfast in hotels in Cannes is expensive everywhere but the one in Majestic is outstanding. If you are here you should try it.
There is also a heated pool. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to use it due to short length of stay. The pool is of good size. There is also a private beach and jetty that are open in summer.
Public area is in good order and is clean. In the corridors of the guest rooms there are pictures of the celebrities who stayed here – makes you feel you are one of them.
There is also a Spa/Fitness which I didn’t visit. Something for the next time!

Rooms:
I was lucky enough to stay at a Corner Suite. I believe that the other rooms are as well decorated in the same theme but this is Cannes and if you can afford it you should definitely book a sea view room or suite. That is part of the journey staying at this upmarket town.
The suite is large. Very spacious with 2 balconies. Excellent view across the coast line and the city. Very high quality of bedding and furniture. The bathroom is also great – enormous, clean, contemporary (with a small TV) and great amenities. The shower is great and so is the bath tub.
The entertainment system is also great. A good selection of TV channels and radio stations.

Services
Service from check in to restaurant to concierge was smooth, very friendly and very efficient. There was a queue when I checked out (due to a group checking in and out at the same time) but it was dealt with professionally.

Verdict:
Excellent hotel, much better than other big competitors along the beach. This will be my first choice if I return to the city of Cannes.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jtung74
Reviewed 5 February 2011

My friend and I called in to MB for coffee as a treat. We ordered two cappuchinos which were served luke warm. I complained to the restaurant manager and he said, ' we push a button and that's what you get '. ! I then complained to the deputy manager who told me that there was nothing wrong with the coffee, it was just my taste. We discussed it but she said there was nothing at all she would do to rectify my complaint. We had to leave, after paying sixteen euros for the coffees, feeling very sad and dissapointed about the lack of good customer service.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Carmeltravelling
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I stayed at the Majestic on a business trip and was very disappointed by the quality of service. On the first night I found plenty of bed bugs on the comforter and had to change room at 3am in the morning. The room where I have been relocated had a very small window overlooking the air conditionning system, a broken closet with no door. The paint inside the bathroom was falling apart. I received no apologize for what happened on the first night until the end of my stay where I had to complain to get some apologies!
The hotel lobby and restaurant are nice but rooms and service of the hotel, compared to its price and rating, are not worth it.
Also, anyone going there on a business trip should be aware that Internet access is overpriced, even for guests of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank TaC80
Voyageur_expedia, Manager at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2011

Dear TaC80,

Firstly let me offer again our sincerest apologies for the problems and the lack of care that you have experienced during your last stay with us.
I am sorry about the unfortunate experience that you have encountered and to read that you have not been given the care that you were expecting under those circumstances.
Again I am sincerely sorry for this situation.
Upon your comments regarding bed bugs we had immediately called our pest control company which has performed a thorough investigation.
Although their conclusion is that there was no obvious presence of bed bugs a thorough treatment of the room was performed to eliminate any pest.
There was no other report of this nature.

Nevertheless I am sorry that your night had been marred and that we did not offer the apologies that you were rightly expecting.
I have also noted your comments concerning the room condition and can assure you that all rooms will be visited by maintenance department during ourforthcoming annual closure.

I reconfirm the offer I made to you upon check out for your next stay

Hoping that you will grant us the opportunity to give you a much better opinion of our hotel

sincerely

Béatrice Gagnaire
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 18 January 2011

First of all, have to own up to the fact that we were not footing the bill for our stay. This said, this hotel is great - fantastic service, fabulous location, wonderful team. We had a room on the 7th floor and the view was heavenly. A great place to stay - as good as the Martinez where we stayed a couple of years ago.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank caratania
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Stayed here for a conference with my spouse, it was great. Good staff and great location. Of course very expensive as it is very close to beach and conference facilities.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Hans S
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We managed to get a sea view room with balcony which made a great difference to our stay. All the hotels along the Cannes coast offer a range of prices to match the view/non-view. There is city view (this is of the side of the building along the street), mountain view (sight of all the buildings that are built on the mountain). Sea view does not always mean you get a "full on" view, I recommend asking to see the room before you take all your luggage up.

The room was the best thing, the bed & pillows were huge and comfy, the decor was glamorous and modern.

You could certainly rack up a huge bill on top of the room rate. They charge extra for most things, 24 euros for 1 movie, 31 euros for a movie package, 15 euros per person for any room service meal (this is on top of the meal cost), 15 euros for the use of the internet for 1 day, charge for the sauna etc etc

We did use the movie package this gave us unlimited "new release" movies for about 18 hours. It worked out OK but we were happy to find out that Dubai TV had lots of free movies in English.

The buffet breakfast is definitely worth getting up for.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple