“My wife´s favourite hotel on the Croisette”

Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez
Ranked #17 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Helsinki
“My wife´s favourite hotel on the Croisette”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Hotel Martinez, now under new management by Hyatt, has a good position on the prestigous La Croisette. Years ago my wife and I used to stay at the Carlton just a block away but this time we chose the Martinez on account of its swimming pool. We were not disappointed and this may just be our hotel of choice in the future when visiting Cannes. The staff are very pleasant and helpful, the check-in and out is faultless, the rooms nicely decorated, and the overall feeling is that of understated elegance. Breakfast is really the best I have ever had in a French hotel of this standard. For those with the means and the urge to spurge there is the Palm d´Or restaurant with its 2 Michelin stars. This is an excellent hotel and a good alternative to the Carlton Intercontinental.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Mr. Helsinki,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Martinez.

We have taken notes of your wonderful comments and will share it with our team.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.

With all our very best regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Very nice and classic hotel, located in Blvd Le Croisette, which is the best place to stay at. You are walking distance from restaurants and fancy shops. The service is excellent and the rooms as well, very comfortable. The only thing that really surprised me is that you have to pay to use the swimming pool and beach of the hotel, even if you are a guest! And the buffet is good but definitely not worth 40 euros per person...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Estef,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Martinez.

Your satisfaction and your comments are an encouragement to us in the pursuit of making each stay a memorable one.

Please note that Hyatt has been managing the Hotel for a few months only and the new projects are to come very soon.

Guest Relations Manager
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Just checked out and checked in two hotels down at the Intercontinental Carlton and much happier.

Although the worst part of my stay was being given my bill which had a 542.20 Euro laundry bill for mainly baby clothes and tee shirts, socks and underwear...that wasn't the only bad part.

There was virtually no internet the entire stay. Even after calling multiple times and having several different logins set up. It operated a little bit, worse than a snail pace and continually booted one off the wi-fi. Had to wait until middle of the night to do important downloads when it was working a almost normal with less users on it.

Yesterday a beach attendant scolded me for having waters and soda (purchased from my minibar!) and baby biscuits and a banana from the hotel-purchased breakfast for my 1 year old out at our 37 Euro (74 total Euro or two) lounge chair stand. Attendant said that you're not allowed to bring you own food to the beach. Apparently they want you to buy more of their cocktails?....not like I can drink much from their menu as I'm pregnant. Really ridiculous since the drinks and banana that I had were themselves hotel purchases. It was really embarrassingly...we were scolded and had to put away the drinks and stuff, where everyone else who had rented lounge chairs in the vicinity could hear. It felt like really rude treatment.

Checking out just now, my laundry has been charged as express, and it was equivalent to for a small bag of mostly tee shirts, underwear socks and baby clothes. I guess they are now explaining because I gave it to them at 3pm, rather than 2 pm, and it was returned the next day at 5pm, it was express prices....I didn't need express and that wasn't what I'd call express...wish they would have communicated this?!? Jus now after pleading with the manager that this was also unfairly high for baby clothes, they knocked off 58 Euro....so now its just about 500 euro for mainly baby clothes, socks, tee shirts and underwear.. I asked for a 10% discount on my two-night hotel room stay to make up for these insane laundry charges. They flat out refused even that. The lady told me they had to stick up for the hotel. I'm not a rude confrontational person. I just left and figured I'll handle it separately with American Express, with whom I booked.

This place is not 5 star. The customer service was chilly from the beginning. I am beside myself with this outrageous 800 dollar laundry bill and it ruined my trip to Cannes.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RebekahAmir R
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Mrs. Amir,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez. We have reviewed your comments regarding your experience while staying with us and please know that we take this very seriously. This is not at all a reflection of the high standards which we have set for our hotel.

We are aware of the issues guests have had with the WIFI and it is with great pleasure that we can announce that we are finally upgrading and changing our entire WIFI system. This will occur at the end of October of this year and guests will be able to connect easily even from the pool area.

As far as the laundry charges, I can certainly understand your frustration for the large amount for baby clothes however all the charges are listed on the laundry slip which located in all the rooms.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the unfortunate circumstances which occurred at the beach. Your remarks have been related to the beach manager so action can be taken. I’m sorry that you felt embarrassed in front of other guests.

Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. Thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

The Guest Relations
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We arrived after having read several 'scaring' reviews on tripadvisor and so partially prepared.
I am not a frequent guest of Hyatt properties but When I book a 5 stars hotel my references are Four Seasons, Mandarin, Oberoi, Ritz Carlton but also some Intercontinental properties...
Check in has been carried out by a smiling and friendly lady but has been one of the most complex I ever had: first prepaid procedure for the room (??!!) and then..again another swipe of card for extras......
Room was just fair for the category but with some furniture really tired and old.
Bathroom without a walk in shower is not acceptable in 2013 for a five stars properties, for having a shower in the tub I almost flooded all the bathroom.
Balcony had a rusty fence that probably did not see paint from several years..
A cheap flat screen tv 24/26" was on a top of an old minibar that remind me the families hotel in rimini ( with all respect for Italian 'pensione famigliari').
We decided to go to the pool and lucky from 15 sept. It was free of charge.
in pool area wifi doesn't work, would think my reaction if I would have to pay for the access and then unable to work!
Wifi in the room worked properly.
In the evening we went to the pool bar for a drink and despite atmosphere was nice service wasn't:I ordered a cognac and they brought it into a glass that seemed bought at Ikea, ok I have not ordered a Louise XIII but considering we are in France I would have expected a better service and presentation (it was anyway 22 € for a std. Cognac.....)
Breakfast was fine (probably the first service we encountered at level of a 5 stars) even though not awesome/exceptional for an Hotel of this level.
We had beach access included in our rate ( yes even though you are guest.....you need to pay to go to the beach......).
Beach restaurant is very cozy but the beach is too cramped ( to be fair it is the same for all other hotels in the area including the carlton), I cannot understand how people can pay hundreds of euro per days and then get packed like in coach class on a plane...
Privacy does not exist so if you come to Cannes to enjoy beaches better you look for some other places on the french riviera.
By the way.....AGAIN...wifi is not available in beach area....gents, we are in 2013 and extending wifi to the beach and pool area does not require a huge investment also considering that this is also a business hotel so far.
I read several replies here from Hyatt (honestly many of them seem a serial cut and paste reply) stating that hotel will go through a full revamp in the next 3 years (!!!!) but mean time you will pay 5 stars rates for an old and tired hotel....come-on Hyatt...would be more fair to shutdown the property entirely and make what need to be done now......and the list of works required seems very long.
If you can afford one of the top notch rooms on 7th floor maybe they are worth the monies but for std rooms better to look somewhere else.
Just to conclude with a positive tip..... Bed was really confortable for very excellent sleeps.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carcentina
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Carcentina,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez. We have reviewed your comments regarding your experience while staying with us and please know that we take this very seriously. This is not at all a reflection of the high standard which we have set for our hotel.
As you may have read previously, we have completely renovated 45 rooms and suites on the sea view wing of the hotel. Concerning the condition of your room, which you mentioned in your comments, we are going to begin renovating the hotel in the near future. We are not able to completely close down the hotel for renovations due to the fact that the city of Cannes holds each year major international events, such as the Cannes International Film Festival and other very large conventions where our level of occupancy is at its maximum. Thus, we will renovate the hotel during the low season, one section at a time.

Paris, France
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed at Hotel Martinez in July for 7 nights.
Pros: Beautiful hotel and beach area on the Croisette. Lovely and well appointed room, with a comfortable bed and large bathroom. Pet-friendly hotel. Great restaurants. Great and fun couple that plays music in bar in the evenings.
Cons: Extremely overpriced accommodations. The beach fees are outrageous. I could not sleep until after 3:00am EVERY night because of the horribly LOUD music coming from the bar on Rue Latour-Maubourg!!!! When I brought up the nightly noise issue to the front desk, I was told, "Well it is just like that here in Cannes". Not a good response!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JLNDSY
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 15 September 2013

Regarding the noise issue during the night, please note that several complaints are at the mayor's office and everything is done tu reduce those as much as we can. Nevertheless it is true that Cannes goes to bed quite late during summer.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

ok start with the good bits; great location and nice beach section (although have to pay for this and can still do this even if your not staying at the hotel)

The bad bits.....1.very long overdue a serious refurb; rooms feel like a rest home, a/c doesnt work, carpets stained, bathrooms look like from the 70's. 2. Staff definitely not the friendlist but this kind of comes with any hotel of this large size.

Id advise staying somewhere else and just pay to use the beach area as this in fairest is the best in cannes.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Regarding the renovations at the property, I can confirm that from winter 2013 the hotel will undergo a full and extensive renovation phased over three winter seasons and be fully refurbished within end 2016.
Prior to this full renovation the hotel has already undertaken a soft renovation relating to the replacement of furniture, curtains and carpeting throughout the parts of the hotel.

Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. We thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

We sincerely hope to see you back to the Hotel martinez.

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and the couple that sing in the evening Are wonderful. the rooms are not stunning but nothing to complain about. It's all as would be expected in a 5* hotel.

However what i didnt expext os to use the hotels beach as a resident is 35 euros, which although a bit Steep I got
Over as it's a very nice
Beach club, today I am at the hotels pool (for guests only) and I have been charged 17 euros for the pleasure of using the pool area! Which is unbelievable, and it's not like the drinks are discounted!

If you have more money than sense and paying on top
Of your room for the use of the pool seems ok then you will love it, if not then maybe look for an alternative which we will be Next year.

• Stayed September 2013

We have taken notes of your comments and will share it with our team.