“Very nice hotel”

Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez
Ranked #19 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As Martinez clients we saw a huge improvement since the hotel is managed by the Hyatt Corporation.
The staff all now is very kind and friendly, and I think this is definitely a General Manager credit.
Furthermore the sea-view rooms on the forth floor are simply stunning, and we have notice that all the rooms are going to be renowed.

Room Tip: sea-view rooms on the forth floor. They are decorate in "art deco" style, with stunning v...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Martinez.

Your satisfaction and your comments are an encouragement to us in the pursuit of making each stay a memorable one.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.

With all our very best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,844)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Under a new name under new owners and new management is this hotel now. A lot of things have changed! I have stayed about 15 times in this hotel but a lot of things have changed to a negative result! More than 70% of the staff is new. All employed staff in the restaurant and bar is new! Thanks god I have found some few old members of the staff at the reception and concierge!
Let us have a detailed information. Room number 237 is more expensive than a standard room. It was called DE LUXE. What was de luxe? The toilet paper was 3 layer (or 2?) and not soft. The window frame was not fitting tight enough. The isolation glas was of bad quality. The room has an outlook at the car park and railway. Underneath the room every day trucks were arriving to deliver goods to the hotel. They are arriving at 06:15 a.m. The train is running about every 30 minutes- So the room is and was very noisy.First I thought the train is running through the room. The balcony is very small.and rusty. Of course you cannot sit on it. But it is offered with partly sea view and view to the mountains. Using the bidet has had consequences: The bathroom was set under water. A new swimmingpool was build. The reason was: The water pipes were faulty. After informing the concierge nothing has happened. Nobody was sent to fix it!! 24 hours later again I have informed the concierge. Then a technician was sent. He has arrived and was not well prepared and trained. Without any information he has left the room and returned another 3 times. He has used his own keycard and entered the room without ringing the bell. The next evening the same problems appeared. The bathroom was set under water. Again I have informed the concierge. Nobody has calculated that water which is laying several hours on tiles can run through the ceiling and damage another room. 90 minutes later no technician has cared about this desaster. Again I have informed the concierge who could not believe that the same things can happen twice!
Of course there were no ability to hang towels on a pole rod or rail above the bidet.
Now the story for getting breakfast. The new management has installed new procedures. Upon arrival you need to say your room number and then you need to sign a bill. It was unimportant that the staff was able to see if breakfast is included in the rate or not. Of course the second day the machine was not working and they let the guests in without signing a bill. After my complaints at the third day they have changed this procedure. The butter is rationed. The staff is serving one small portion for 2 people. Orange marmelade is not served anymore. You can get it only with room service. Of course the staff was not informed about that and needed to ask a colleague or supervisor. All of this sounds like a bad joke. There is a buffet and you cannot get orange marmelade or butter!! The choice of fruit and bread is poor. Choice and the number of offered cold cuts now has a 3-4 points standard. Sometimes the staff was unable to speak english. Plates will be removed within minutes and the guests have to care about new plates!!
While high season the guest have to sit in the bar to get breakfast. Of course they will get disturbed by controling room number and beeing sitted. The door to the terrace was always open and you feel uncomfortable.
Now an experience from the bar. No list of cocktails or drinks was placed on the tables. The waiter came without wishing a good evening and wanted to take the order without that guest can know what is available and what is the price for it. So I have asked for the wine lsit out of the restaurant. Of course the waiter said that this is impossible and it is not available. So he has refused to bring the wine list. After repeating my wish the third time and informing him that I am a frequent guest in the house he brought it and put it on the table without any word or apologize. The bar itself looks old fashioned and needs new furniture and style. The smell in the toilet for men is a nightmare. Since more than 10 years this is depending on the construction of the pissoir. It is made out of metal and all men are unable to urinate correctly in it because of the faulty construction. Of course one metal piece was not fixed. Screws were missed and nobody has cared to fix it. Urin was running on the tiles and the roommates did not care about it. This already happens in the morning at 10.00 p.m. Of course the guest relation manager and the manager of the restaurant was caring. But a lot of staff right now is not really well trained and this has a lot of negative consequences. Next winter the hotel will start with renovation but more important is to train the staff in a better way. Plenty of supervisors are not doing their duties. They act like waiters. While check out you have to sign the invoice even that you have payed with your credit card and you have used your pin code and the money transfer was confirmed.
Result:
Furniture: 3 points

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank AlsterHamburg

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about your disappointment. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not having fulfilled your expectations.

Your comments have been transmitted to all departments. Rest assured that our engineering department is well aware of the problems in room 237 and is working on it to solve all the issues you encountered.

We have taken notes regarding the service in our restaurant and bar, we gave new instructions to the staff to insure an optimal service.

Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. We thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

Once again, let us express to you our most sincere regret for not having met your expectations.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Hotel Martinez to show you our improvements.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have just spent three magnificent nights in Hotel Martinez. There is no better hotel. The entire staff from checkin through concierge, room service and room maintenance are using their best efforts to make your stay enjoyable. I would never recommend staying in any other hotel in Cannes as it will not be possible to produce the experience they are able to give. Very many thanks to everyone concerned and we look forward to seeing you soon again.

Room Tip: sea view is best. First floor rooms have larger rooms and smaller balconies (not a disadvantage).
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tablefan
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after staying at the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.
We are very pleased to read such nice compliments.They will be shared with all teams.

You will be always more than welcome!

Karine,
Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hyatt

I arrived as part of a corporate function. The hotel is a classic. It is an old building, and in many cases needs major renovation but still has the classic 1920s feel.

The service is awesome and from the heart the moment you walk in. The older or more mature employees are really polished, the younger employees are more likely to say “no” even when they should be saying yes; but well offset mostly by the great service. Food as well was excellent. Now you will pay and pay and pay for this; in my case a corporate function was absorbing costs. The prices in this part of town are so difficult to accept, just figure that a $5 dollar American type hamburger costs the equivalent of $20 bucks and everything from a can of soda to ice cream follows the pattern.
Taxi from Nice airport is over $100US, I took the express bus for I less than $10 bucks and the express train back was easy, clean and fun for 6 Euros. Cabs make New York look free. I live for Starbucks (I am from Seattle and if Café Vita were global I would go but I do look for Starbucks when on the road for, I have to have my Iced Quad Espresso. I get it everywhere in the world but in Cannes, there is no Starbucks, nada, zero Starbucks. There is one in Nice. If you hate Starbucks you will be super happy.

Again, coffee is way overpriced and they certainly do not put ice in it and they don’t have plastic cups, period; you will not find them in Cannes. Iced drinks are put into cardboard for the most part. The hotel does not provide any in-room coffee and they will not provide any “take-away” service. But they were happy to make my iced coffee at my included in the room price breakfast in a glass, it was very good, but if I had to pay for it, I think it would have been over $10 bucks easy. Breakfast was excellent. One executive had breakfast before checking in and an omelet breakfast plus coffee exceeded $40.

The city is over the top with money that is hanging on everybody’s sleeve. They seem to want to make sure you know they are super rich and it gets tiring. (There are a lot of wannabes making life less than pleasant as well)

The hotel itself is a refreshing place to relax with a pool. I just could not bring myself to pay the prices for everything and walked around trying to find alternatives; there are few. The restaurants close up at 6pm directly on the beach. There are a zillion look alike places all over-charging and serving up mediocre food all around the hotel and beyond.
I had a small Thai chicken stir fry and a beer for $55.00 next door to the hotel.

I walked 15 minutes from the hotel into McDonalds to scope out a plastic cup with a top to make my own iced quad..they had none and the place was packed and totally a massive mess. I actually had a Subway sandwich (Teryaki Footlong with water) and it costs over $15.00 to my total surprise. Dinner at the hotel at the prices they charge was not an option.

I ended up with a nice room but as with many rooms in this hotel it overlooked the garbage. Our corporate rate was not cheap by any means, I don’t think we can mention rates here, but you could get a cab ride back and forth to Nice for about the cost of this room each night. The garbage operation in this hotel is no small deal, they are picking up and slamming around in the morning, night and all times of the day. It was not great and I did not ask for a different room. You can see my photos. The room was otherwise quiet, clean. The electric outlets did not work, the drains did not drain. But I let it go. The AC was just a switch with three speeds, it looked very 70s. It worked well actually.

One of our executives on the team had ants massively overrun her room and had to move. She said they upgraded her to a wonderful ocean view room with any ants included. I did not see any moving protein during my stay. Overall, great stay.

The backside territorial view was ok if you can get past the garbage, the employee quarters, parking action and active railroad running next to the hotel. Service was awesome. I was on the 4th floor, the windows opened nice and wide with a little balcony for standing up and my guess would be to smoke if you did and I don’t.

I must also add that they did provide me this room before 2pm and I did not demand an ocean view room. I think I could have gotten one if I wanted, but I will never know. Ice delivered with a smile every night. Great housekeeping. I really enjoyed my stay even it you have to look past some things that should be better but are not yet up to par.

Room Tip: Check your room view. There is a 100% difference between looking out the back over garbage, trains...
3  Thank dg3225
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We took notes from your comments and shared it with our team to take actions were required.

Romain,
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stay in this hotel for 3 night and we upgraded to the executive room which was spacious and had a see view. The bed was so comfortable. Also staff were just brilliant...
We liked the open buffet breakfast, there were lots of choices.
I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are extremely pleased to read about your satisfaction.

We appreciated particularly your comments regarding the service at our hotel, it is for us the best compliment that we will share with our team.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

we were on holiday with 2 small kids (5 and 2). The staff are fantastic and very helpful. I would have given this hotel a much higher rating if it were not for the state of the room. Peeling paint, sockets hanging out of the wall mould in the shower. this hotel needs to update its rooms. we were in 515...other than that it was a great experience. I would go back for sure but you need to make sure you inspect your room first

Room Tip: make sure you inspect the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Regarding the renovations at the property, please note that Hyatt started a refurbishment program, a full and extensive refurbishment will start this winter.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Other than the fact that the hotel rooms do seem a bit in need of some refurbishment (mostly the bleach stained carpets and wonky closets, and the A/C controls hidden behind the door and 2 feet above my head), my stay was extremely enjoyable. I was traveling for business and can only imagine what staff have to endure during major festivals in Cannes, From the moment I checked in to the moment I left, the front desk, concierge, housekeeping staff and waiters were extremely polite, patient and gracious. That is what really made my stay. The wifi always worked, the hotel was conveniently located just far enough from the Palais and was near great restaurants.

Room Tip: Facing the back of the hotel deprives you of sun, but is a little quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Sir,

Please note that a refurbishment is planned and will start this winter in order to better match our clients expectations.