“Birthday Champagne”

Ranked #18 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday Champagne”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great location and impressive history. The interior were not really my taste, but the room was huge. The Breakfast was very good. The best surprise was a free bottle of Champagne on my birthday (I never told anyone it was my birthday, so they must have seen it in my passport)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Martinez.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed the champagne for your birthday.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.

With all our very best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was a perfect stay in Cannes. There were only two small issues but the serivce was at it best so i can't blame them for that. The Room was nice and spacious with a huge terrace with sunbeds and a table for four people to sit and eat. I used the terrace during daytime as it was perfect weather almost. The lunch and breakfast we had to the room where also nice to be able to sit outside and eat. When i checked in to the hotel i was very pleased with the serivce i got from Caroline. She was very friendly and helpful. This is very important because i have been less welcomed several times at other properties. Big ? for Carolines service. I will for sure come back to this hotel again during summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Your satisfaction and your comments are an encouragement to us in the pursuit of making each stay a memorable one.

Paris, France
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel has a mythic reputation, the reason why we ( 3 friends, 3 rooms ) chose to stay there for a whole week. But we got already quite disappointed by the first impression: the lobby is the lousiest one I've ever seen in this category of hotels, absolutely no charm or class - just unpersonal emptiness, no plants nor flowers, only a cheap looking sculpture... The receptionist was very nice and professionnel, though, and check-in went smooth and we could go to to our rooms a few minutes later. The rooms are quite big, but decoration and furniture are really dated and better in any Holiday Inn! The view on La Croisette and the sea is spectacular, of course, but the cherry on the cake is that just across the street from our windows was (and is since the 70's, according to the concierge) a nightclub with extreme LOUD live-music until 3 a.m. every night which makes it impossible - with windows, shutters, heavy curtains closed - to sleep in peace. Definitively not the standards of a Grand Hyatt!!!.
Concerning the bar and the restaurant, I had the impression that the hotel employs many apprentices who still need a lot of training.

Room Tip: AVOID rooms in front of LA CHUNGA nightclub - you won't be able to sleep!
1 Thank germanolatino
amvmartinez, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We have taken notes from your comments and shared it with our teams. Rest assured that everything is made to stop the disturbances from the bar next to our hotel.

Regarding the renovations at the property, please note that Hyatt started a refurbishment program, a full and extensive refurbishment will start this winter.

Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. We thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

Once again, let us express to you our most sincere regret for not having met your expectations.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Hotel Martinez to show you our improvements and to assign you a new room.
Rimini, Italia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As Martinez clients we saw a huge improvement since the hotel is managed by the Hyatt Corporation.
The staff all now is very kind and friendly, and I think this is definitely a General Manager credit.
Furthermore the sea-view rooms on the forth floor are simply stunning, and we have notice that all the rooms are going to be renowed.

Room Tip: sea-view rooms on the forth floor. They are decorate in "art deco" style, with stunning v...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Nice, France
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Under a new name under new owners and new management is this hotel now. A lot of things have changed! I have stayed about 15 times in this hotel but a lot of things have changed to a negative result! More than 70% of the staff is new. All employed staff in the restaurant and bar is new! Thanks god I have found some few old members of the staff at the reception and concierge!
Let us have a detailed information. Room number 237 is more expensive than a standard room. It was called DE LUXE. What was de luxe? The toilet paper was 3 layer (or 2?) and not soft. The window frame was not fitting tight enough. The isolation glas was of bad quality. The room has an outlook at the car park and railway. Underneath the room every day trucks were arriving to deliver goods to the hotel. They are arriving at 06:15 a.m. The train is running about every 30 minutes- So the room is and was very noisy.First I thought the train is running through the room. The balcony is very small.and rusty. Of course you cannot sit on it. But it is offered with partly sea view and view to the mountains. Using the bidet has had consequences: The bathroom was set under water. A new swimmingpool was build. The reason was: The water pipes were faulty. After informing the concierge nothing has happened. Nobody was sent to fix it!! 24 hours later again I have informed the concierge. Then a technician was sent. He has arrived and was not well prepared and trained. Without any information he has left the room and returned another 3 times. He has used his own keycard and entered the room without ringing the bell. The next evening the same problems appeared. The bathroom was set under water. Again I have informed the concierge. Nobody has calculated that water which is laying several hours on tiles can run through the ceiling and damage another room. 90 minutes later no technician has cared about this desaster. Again I have informed the concierge who could not believe that the same things can happen twice!
Of course there were no ability to hang towels on a pole rod or rail above the bidet.
Now the story for getting breakfast. The new management has installed new procedures. Upon arrival you need to say your room number and then you need to sign a bill. It was unimportant that the staff was able to see if breakfast is included in the rate or not. Of course the second day the machine was not working and they let the guests in without signing a bill. After my complaints at the third day they have changed this procedure. The butter is rationed. The staff is serving one small portion for 2 people. Orange marmelade is not served anymore. You can get it only with room service. Of course the staff was not informed about that and needed to ask a colleague or supervisor. All of this sounds like a bad joke. There is a buffet and you cannot get orange marmelade or butter!! The choice of fruit and bread is poor. Choice and the number of offered cold cuts now has a 3-4 points standard. Sometimes the staff was unable to speak english. Plates will be removed within minutes and the guests have to care about new plates!!
While high season the guest have to sit in the bar to get breakfast. Of course they will get disturbed by controling room number and beeing sitted. The door to the terrace was always open and you feel uncomfortable.
Now an experience from the bar. No list of cocktails or drinks was placed on the tables. The waiter came without wishing a good evening and wanted to take the order without that guest can know what is available and what is the price for it. So I have asked for the wine lsit out of the restaurant. Of course the waiter said that this is impossible and it is not available. So he has refused to bring the wine list. After repeating my wish the third time and informing him that I am a frequent guest in the house he brought it and put it on the table without any word or apologize. The bar itself looks old fashioned and needs new furniture and style. The smell in the toilet for men is a nightmare. Since more than 10 years this is depending on the construction of the pissoir. It is made out of metal and all men are unable to urinate correctly in it because of the faulty construction. Of course one metal piece was not fixed. Screws were missed and nobody has cared to fix it. Urin was running on the tiles and the roommates did not care about it. This already happens in the morning at 10.00 p.m. Of course the guest relation manager and the manager of the restaurant was caring. But a lot of staff right now is not really well trained and this has a lot of negative consequences. Next winter the hotel will start with renovation but more important is to train the staff in a better way. Plenty of supervisors are not doing their duties. They act like waiters. While check out you have to sign the invoice even that you have payed with your credit card and you have used your pin code and the money transfer was confirmed.
Result:
Furniture: 3 points

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AlsterHamburg
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about your disappointment. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not having fulfilled your expectations.

Your comments have been transmitted to all departments. Rest assured that our engineering department is well aware of the problems in room 237 and is working on it to solve all the issues you encountered.

We have taken notes regarding the service in our restaurant and bar, we gave new instructions to the staff to insure an optimal service.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Hotel Martinez to show you our improvements.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have just spent three magnificent nights in Hotel Martinez. There is no better hotel. The entire staff from checkin through concierge, room service and room maintenance are using their best efforts to make your stay enjoyable. I would never recommend staying in any other hotel in Cannes as it will not be possible to produce the experience they are able to give. Very many thanks to everyone concerned and we look forward to seeing you soon again.

Room Tip: sea view is best. First floor rooms have larger rooms and smaller balconies (not a disadvantage).
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tablefan
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after staying at the Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez.
We are very pleased to read such nice compliments.They will be shared with all teams.

You will be always more than welcome!

Karine,
Guest Relation Manager
Seattle
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hyatt

I arrived as part of a corporate function. The hotel is a classic. It is an old building, and in many cases needs major renovation but still has the classic 1920s feel.

The service is awesome and from the heart the moment you walk in. The older or more mature employees are really polished, the younger employees are more likely to say “no” even when they should be saying yes; but well offset mostly by the great service. Food as well was excellent. Now you will pay and pay and pay for this; in my case a corporate function was absorbing costs. The prices in this part of town are so difficult to accept, just figure that a $5 dollar American type hamburger costs the equivalent of $20 bucks and everything from a can of soda to ice cream follows the pattern.
Taxi from Nice airport is over $100US, I took the express bus for I less than $10 bucks and the express train back was easy, clean and fun for 6 Euros. Cabs make New York look free. I live for Starbucks (I am from Seattle and if Café Vita were global I would go but I do look for Starbucks when on the road for, I have to have my Iced Quad Espresso. I get it everywhere in the world but in Cannes, there is no Starbucks, nada, zero Starbucks. There is one in Nice. If you hate Starbucks you will be super happy.

Again, coffee is way overpriced and they certainly do not put ice in it and they don’t have plastic cups, period; you will not find them in Cannes. Iced drinks are put into cardboard for the most part. The hotel does not provide any in-room coffee and they will not provide any “take-away” service. But they were happy to make my iced coffee at my included in the room price breakfast in a glass, it was very good, but if I had to pay for it, I think it would have been over $10 bucks easy. Breakfast was excellent. One executive had breakfast before checking in and an omelet breakfast plus coffee exceeded $40.

The city is over the top with money that is hanging on everybody’s sleeve. They seem to want to make sure you know they are super rich and it gets tiring. (There are a lot of wannabes making life less than pleasant as well)

The hotel itself is a refreshing place to relax with a pool. I just could not bring myself to pay the prices for everything and walked around trying to find alternatives; there are few. The restaurants close up at 6pm directly on the beach. There are a zillion look alike places all over-charging and serving up mediocre food all around the hotel and beyond.
I had a small Thai chicken stir fry and a beer for $55.00 next door to the hotel.

I walked 15 minutes from the hotel into McDonalds to scope out a plastic cup with a top to make my own iced quad..they had none and the place was packed and totally a massive mess. I actually had a Subway sandwich (Teryaki Footlong with water) and it costs over $15.00 to my total surprise. Dinner at the hotel at the prices they charge was not an option.

I ended up with a nice room but as with many rooms in this hotel it overlooked the garbage. Our corporate rate was not cheap by any means, I don’t think we can mention rates here, but you could get a cab ride back and forth to Nice for about the cost of this room each night. The garbage operation in this hotel is no small deal, they are picking up and slamming around in the morning, night and all times of the day. It was not great and I did not ask for a different room. You can see my photos. The room was otherwise quiet, clean. The electric outlets did not work, the drains did not drain. But I let it go. The AC was just a switch with three speeds, it looked very 70s. It worked well actually.

One of our executives on the team had ants massively overrun her room and had to move. She said they upgraded her to a wonderful ocean view room with any ants included. I did not see any moving protein during my stay. Overall, great stay.

The backside territorial view was ok if you can get past the garbage, the employee quarters, parking action and active railroad running next to the hotel. Service was awesome. I was on the 4th floor, the windows opened nice and wide with a little balcony for standing up and my guess would be to smoke if you did and I don’t.

I must also add that they did provide me this room before 2pm and I did not demand an ocean view room. I think I could have gotten one if I wanted, but I will never know. Ice delivered with a smile every night. Great housekeeping. I really enjoyed my stay even it you have to look past some things that should be better but are not yet up to par.

Room Tip: Check your room view. There is a 100% difference between looking out the back over garbage, trains...
3 Thank dg3225
amvmartinez, Responsable relations clients at Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We took notes from your comments and shared it with our team to take actions were required.

Romain,