“A bit of a hike to La Croisette, and don't expect any inclusions”

Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso
Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“A bit of a hike to La Croisette, and don't expect any inclusions”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Well... to be precise the internet access was free however not particularly reliable in the rooms.
The location is behind the Palais and probably a kilometre or two from the centre of Cannes, but enjoys water views from most rooms and the rooftop terrace has expansive views across the harbour. There are many restaurants nearby and the old town situated nearby.
The rooms themselves were small but not completely unusual by European standards and were kept clean with very soft beds. The carpet, decor and doors look like they could use an update but my bathroom looked recently re-done.
Regarding the facilities, expect to pay for everything whether a small bottle of water in your room, access to the gym, or access to the pool - and at a price of for memory EUR35 per half day... wow. Cannes is expensive for hotels, and that's just how it is but for many hundreds of Euros a night, a free bottle of water or swim would be nice.

Room Tip: Water views of course!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travis J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire, UK
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This review is highly subjective but because I have seen quite a few similar ones lately on here regarding the same issues, I thought I should share my experience as well. I would heartily not recommend this hotel but instead would happily recommend the Hotel Le Canberra which is incredible.

In March 2012, my husband and I went on a romantic holiday to get away from building works in our apartment block. I chose the Radisson Blu in Cannes, booked for three nights, because the rooms were specifically advertised as soundproofed and it was right on the seafront. This was a terrible mistake and it ruined our holiday. Upon arrival, we saw that the entire promenade in front of the hotel was undergoing massive construction – this was not ever mentioned on the website. There was incessant drilling and other construction noise throughout the day and into the evening. This would have been less of a problem if the rooms were genuinely soundproofed but they are not.

We requested a quiet room but were given a room on the ground floor by a noisy road and next to the construction site. It was terrible. The room was poky with peeling paintwork, bathroom doors that didn’t even close and the room was definitely not soundproofed. When I went to ask to change rooms, we were told we would have to pay a 100 Euro a night upgrade fee because the only room available was more than we had paid. The staff were not at all understanding; two were rude, offensive and even said because we had ‘only’ paid 125 Euros per night for our room, we should be appreciate we got a good deal and therefore not complain about our room. It was horrendous customer service.

When I mentioned Radisson Blu’s 100% satisfaction guarantee promise card in each room, the man who was ‘assisting’ us simply shrugged at me and said there’s nothing I can do. I started to cry (!) because I was so frustrated and felt embarrassed due to his rudeness. He just shrugged his shoulders and started trying to bargain with me to pay the extra 100 Euros a night by saying he’d throw in breakfast etc. It was disgusting.

I spent fifteen minutes standing (crying) at the reception desk whilst being studiously ignored by the staff member who was supposed to be dealing with our issue and other members of the public were coming over to ask if I was ok and if I would like a glass of water.

Eventually, another staff member came over and offered to show us another room which had miraculously suddenly been found in our price range. It was again tiny but was higher up so the road noise was lessened...or so I thought. The balcony door was broken so there was a gap in the door frame which meant it was exceptionally noisy all night and the room was, again, tired and miniscule. I woke up the next day and checked out; two nights early; the noise was awful and the quality of the standard rooms was terrible. We spoke to the Assistant Manager who was very apologetic for the awful experience we’d had. She was fantastic and was the first decent staff member we’d come across at the hotel. However, I just wanted to leave due to our terrible experience, we didn’t feel welcome, so we paid for one night and left.

We moved to the Hotel Le Canberra which was fantastic and I can recommend it highly; I have written a review of it on Tripadvisor and if even just one person decides not to stay at the Radisson Blu but instead stays at the Hotel le Canberra, then I’ll feel like my horrendous experience was helpful to someone!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KrissieSmith
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

good location, clean, friendly staff. great spa facilities. my only problem was with the wi-fi: advertised as free, but I had to log in each time I used it, and found it to be an un-necessarily complex process.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 12 May 2012

good points:
- Exelent location: beach in 1 minutes from the hotel, city center in 5-10 minutes.
- newly renovated hotels with modern design
- fantastic spa and rooftop pool
- friendly staff
- very comfortable beds

bad points:
- rooms are very small
- swimming pool is not free for hotel guests
- breakfast is very basic and expensive

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Anton_Pekkari
London
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I reserved on-line and paid 205 euros for a room in which you could not swing the proverbial cat. It was also very noisy as the road works at the front of the hotel mean that some of the traffic is being redirected onto a road which lies behind the hotel where I had my room. French motorcycles can be very noisy all night long, plus the garbage men with their bins early in the morning. If you use the fold-down desk below the wall mounted television screen, you can not move from one side of the room to the other without climbing over the bed. If you use the collapsible contraption on which you can put your suitcase, you can't open the door to the hall. The bed is too small for 2 people. Breakfast was 27 euros per person. Around the corner on the boulevard overlooking the sea, you can get coffee, croissant and freshly-squeezed orange juice for 6.50 euros each. The only thing going for this hotel is its central location next to the port area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alphajet
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Was booked into a double room on the third floor. Upon arrival to the room i discovered that the sliding door/window had a considerable gap in it allowing quite a bit of noise and a breeze in from the street below.

I realised that this would not lead to a great nights rest and requested another room only to be told that there were no more rooms in my price category available and had to upgrade at extra cost.

The upgrade was a suite on the 5th or 6th floor at a cost of €225 (further €70).

This was definitely worth it for the location.
Fantastic bath, great balcony with view over the sea and marina, two widescreen TV's and decent sized lounge.

Service at dinner at the restaurant upstairs was certainly at a very slow pace.

Altogether, disappointed that the Radisson did not provide a free room move considering the problem with the original room. However, rather pleased with the final result.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 9 April 2012

All of the staff were
Very accomadating. Wonderful experience

Room Tip: Spa suite is highly recommended
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo