“Nice but couldn't get spa treatments”

Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso
Ranked #12 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I booked this hotel expecting to get in a few spa treatments during my short break. Sadly they didn't warn in advance that you can't book for the next day. Or at least I couldn't. They should have emailed in advance suggesting I book treatments which I would have done if I'd known they were so busy. So I feel a bit let down. Also at breakfast we were left to find out for ourselves what to to and what was where, no one showed us where anything was. All in all it looks nice but I wouldn't come here again. Looking forward to going home tomorrow.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Minidriver09
cecile_malbos, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear traveler,

We thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso.

We regret that our service did not reach your expectations. Therefore, I personally want to apologize for this inconvenience.

At this period of the year, our Thalassotherapy Center is highly demanded. To take the best of our center and to enjoy it entirely, it is recommended to book treatments in advance.

Hopefully we will welcome you again in much better conditions.

Bests regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,559)

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed in the hotel in the summer which allows to enjoy the great terrace with the bar and the amazing view on the sea. The food is good and there are also the bar. The room had a nice balcony with view on the sea

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank alix33
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Arriving at the hotel first impressions were great very nice lobby, very clean and modern - the staff were ready with my room key, the room was immaculate, and a very good size for one person.

The downside was the wifi - every time my ipad locked it would log out of the wifi this happened to other people I was with, I wouldn't have minded if I was on holiday however I was with journalists who really need the wifi to be top notch.

The breakfast was good, it has various pastries and cooked breakfast, it wasn't the best I have ever had but still enjoyable

The hotel has a beautiful sea view (you can have dinner and drinks on the top floor looking out at the harbor which is fantastic) and great service so yes I would recommend it to others, just needs the wifi glitch sorting.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LFLT
cecile_malbos, Responsable commercial at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your honesty about your stay in the Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso.

We hope to see you soon and will be very happy to welcome you again.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Rooms: not huge but comfortably furnished in an attractive modern style. Beds have feather toppers which are lovely if you like a soft bed, otherwise ask for it removed before you arrive. They also have orthopedic pillows.
The bathroom is a bit of an issue.
Having stayed 3 times in 3 months I feel as if the interior designer was more interested in appearance than functionality. Twice I had a room with a hip bath with a very high side and a fixed shower screen leaving about 2 feet of space to get in. An elderly person would simply not be able to do this. The first time I stayed I had a walk-in shower (no bath at all though), so request this if it is going to be an issue. No hooks for bathrobes in 518 (city deluxe) which is a bit annoying.
The washbasins are made of grouted brown mosaic tiles. The grout had discoloured at the bottom and was not nice to use. Mirror is heated and there is a magnifying glass for make-up.
Food:
Breakfast was a bit disappointing and should have been replenished quicker. Staff did not show us to a table or even take our room number. Had to ask for coffee and napkins.
This was the only meal we had.
Staff:
Very efficient reception staff, always greet you on arrival. Very friendly.

Location:
Perfect as you can walk to all the bars and restaurants in town and a big plus if you have a sea view room is falling asleep to the sound of the sea at night!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveler,

We thank you for writing your experience at the Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your honesty about your room. We regret that your stay was not up to your needs and have communicated your reviews with our team.

We hope to still have the pleasure to see you again in our hotel and really want to satisfy you.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

What can you say about the Cote d'Azur ? Which-ever way you cut it, it is beautiful. But don't the locals know it, and use every trick in the book to remove cash from tourists.

At least at this hotel, it is done with a certain style and a politeness. On the plus side, the staff were very friendly, service good once you remember this is France so don't expect the kind of false bonhommie and plastic smiles that you get from your typical American hotel worker, and 1) you try speaking French (you're in FRANCE, remember ?) and 2) use "pleases" and "thank-yous," it is appreciated.

Location-wise, superb. You can see where the Russians tie their yachts up, or gaze on the shops where the French whose ancestors escaped Mme Guillotine spend their money on designer clothes (Liberte, Shopping, Fraternite ?). Plenty of good, but stunningly expensive cafes within easy walking distance.

But, politeness and location aside, this is a high-class rip-off, much like the rest of the Cote D'Azur. Now, that's fine if you are expecting it, so expect it. To that ends, be aware that:

1) To use the swimming pool will cost E25/person/day.
2) To eat breakfast (actually a very GOOD breakfast) will cost you E27/person/day
3) To park your car, or rather to line someone else's pocket to park your car for you in case you are too stupid or too lazy to finish a journey by going through the actions of "parking," it will cost you E35/day.

So, 2 of you ? That's E149/night BEFORE THE ROOM.

Ah, the room. I got a Good Deal. How ? Because the AC Hotel (Marriott) in Antibes that I was booked into made a mess of my reservation. Even with 3 months notice, they oversold my room and I was sans-lit 2 days before flying out.

But, even at E169/night with compensation and a MASSIVE apology from Marriott, this is a stunningly expensive price room.

What do you get ? Well, a TINY bathroom, a tiny bedroom and a fold-down flap for a "desk" with the TV bolted to the wall above it. One "comfy" chair that I spent the entire time dancing around.

And a mini-bar. Empty. In a wardrobe. Without a handle on the door so you can only open it by putting your fingers under the door because the edge of the fridge door hits the walls of the wardrobe.

And two mugs. With two teabags. And two plastic spoons that melt when you put hot-water on them. And the spoons are SHORTER than the mugs so you burn your fingers trying to stir your drink.

And a kettle for boiling water. And four "Nespresso" coffee capsules, but no "Nespresso" machine so you can't actually turn the capsules into drinkable coffee.

And a balcony that you need climbing equipment to reach.

And lifts so tiny that you need to back into them with your luggage or you'll never get out.

Now, frankly, I'm used to all these idiosyncrasies in France in Campanile, Ibis or Novotel properties. But, you pay Campanile, Ibis or Novotel prices, not the rack-rate of between E550 and E850 that this place displays. And this is a Radisson !

So, if you want to have a good view of the sea, a decent breakfast, and someone else is paying and you can minimise the amount of stuff you take so that you can fit it in your room and you don't think you'll want a cup of coffee, stay here.

If you're on your own dime and want to go to France (and let's face it, who doesn't - it's a wonderful place), don't bother with the Cote d'Azur - it is over-rated and over-priced and the best that you can say about this hotel is at least the staff are nice and just doing their jobs....

Room Tip: Avoid floor 6 or anything overlooking the front.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank net_boyUK
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of December for business. A good stay but not so excellent!
The hotel has a central location and a nice view: near to the port, 5 misutes walking distance to the Palais des Festivals, 5 minutes far from La Croisette.
I slept in a Superior room: a very comfortable room, but too expensive compared with services they offer.
Good buffet breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Zighy_10
cecile_malbos, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Dear guest,

We thank you for sharing your impressions about your stay in our property.

It is regrettable that you are not fully satisfied by your stay.

We are very sensitive to the views of our customers and we use them to improve ourselves and have an excellent level of service.

We try to offer the best rates to our customers and we are sorry that the value for money you had was not sufficient.

I hope you would give us your trust again and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the Radisson for 3 nights and we really enjoyed. The staff was very attentive and we thought that the room was comfortable too. If ever in Cannes again we wouldn't choose a different place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat_in_Jamaica
cecile_malbos, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear traveler,

Thank you for your interest and positive feedback about our hotel.

It is a real satisfaction for us to read that you have enjoyed your stay.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Cannes !