“Boutique Hotel in a lovely setting”

Hotel La Villa Cannes Croisette
Ranked #37 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my family at the end of June and beginning of July as we had a family wedding in Cannes.

The first impression of the hotel was that it was a very clean and pleasant hotel with a boutique feel.

The rooms were small and the amount of storage space was minimal. I had a double bedroom with a cot in it and there wasn't a lot of floor space after that. The bathroom was clean but there was no bath, just a shower cubicle which was a bit frustrating for trying to wash a 9 month old in.

On the upside, the pool area was really pleasant. A larger pool for swimming in and a smaller pool that children could go in.

There were plenty of sunbeds and grassy areas around the pool.

The breakfast at the hotel was continental with tea or coffee. This had to be ordered the night before so they knew what time you would have breakfast and how many people would be there. The breakfast was always fine.

The location of the hotel was excellent. It was set back aout 5 minures walk from the main road that runs alongside the beach. It was less pretentious than a lot of the other places in Cannes and a lot more down to Earth.

There were a couple of supermarkets about 100 metres from the hhotel. The hotel were quite happy to let us store things in the fridge in the bedroom.

Other facilities in the hotel room were a safe, a TV, electric blinds which were amazing for keeping the room dark and helping baby sleep until well after 8am!

I would recommend this hotel to people without kids who fancied a quiet break.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 August 2008

We booked a 3 night stay to celebrate a couple of birthdays. Arriving in Cannes by train from Nice airport we taxied to the hotel. A front garden gate and path lead into a friendly reception area. Not sure how much English is spoken because my wife is fluent in French. We arrived almost 3 hours before the check-in time of 3 o'clock and were told our room would be ready in 30 minutes.

The hotel occupies a corner plot and space around the hotel is at a premium.

Our booked room overlooking the garden turned out to be a view over the front garden with the railway line less than 30 yds away. Book a rear garden view to avoid this issue. However the French rail network appeared to be quieter than ours and the trains did not spoil our stay.

The room was a good size with a comfortable bed, a tidy bathroom and plenty of storage and hanging space but why do hotels use screens around baths that do not prevent water wetting the floor when taking a shower? We don't do it at home!!

We had a room only booking and did not take breakfast in the hotel. We found it locally at 6 euros against the fourteen charged by the hotel. I cannot therefore comment on the quality of breakfast except to say that there was a very pleasant vine covered terraced in which to take it.

The pretty pool at the rear of the hotel was very clean and of a sufficient size to take a leisurely swim. A small circular pool adjoins the main pool - suitable for supervised young children. The sunlougers and chairs were of good quality but due to the size of the hotel grounds a keen sun worshipper would need to move frequently to stay in the sun. A pot of tea for one poolside at six euros was a surprise especially as it came without the customary biscuit.

The location, close to the eastern end of La Croisette, gives easy access to two public beaches. A range of bus stops close by gives those who prefer to ride than walk a range of options. Boat trips, restaurants and shops tend to be at the western end of the La Croisette and this should be considered when booking accommodation in Cannes.

Travelling to Cannes from Nice airport does give you a number of options. Taxi, express bus, local bus and train are all available and depend on your willingness to pay and your sense of adventure. We chose a train from Nice St Augustin station, a walk away and a 4.9 euro ticket plus a taxi transfer to the hotel [9 euros]. On the return we decided to use the local bus. Beware - a 75 minute journey turned into two hours during evening rush hour but at one euro per person it is a tempting option. The express bus runs from the other end of town at 14 euros while a taxi will set you back considerably more.

We boat tripped to St Tropez but book ahead because this is popular . A range of boat trips are available and well worth considering as is train travel along the coast and inland.

At £156 per night this is not a cheap hotel but this is Cannes and the hotel location is good, only a couple of hundred metres from La Croisette. With a healthy budget you will not be disappointed. Our friends stayed at the 5* Martinez about 400 metres away - very plush and in the prime position but they certainly paid for it!!

Try booking direct with the hotel and you may be able to drive a better deal.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank lutonlip
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We have just returned from a pleasant 10 days in this hotel.

The hotel is clean and welcoming, and is a non smoking hotel (rare for France). The hotel is within 200 yards of the main promenade, and well located at the eastern end of town, so is quieter, than other hotels we have stayed in, in Cannes.

We were initially put in a large double room on the ground floor of the main building, but her indoors was not happy with the small terrace onto the garden, so were relocated to a terrace room in the rear hotel building with direct access to both the garden and pool, both of which are lovely.

My only criticism of the hotel would be its proximity to the rail line, but you could say this of any hotel, fronting the promenade in Cannes as the rail line runs just behind the coisette.

Parking is free outside the hotel, and was never a problem, so you can save a packet here if you have a hire car as we did, rather than be ripped off for expensive hotel parking.

The hotel has a small bar area, and there are loads of restaurants within a 10 min walk of the hotel, we were spoilt for choice.

The hotel has a small garden out front, which is a nice area to sit and eat breakfast in.

We will return to this hotel next year.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 July 2008

- They don't tell you they are located next to the train line
- They don't tell you they're going to charge you 24 euro to use their worn out shabby towels for 4 days.
-They have an Orange wireless hotspot (with poor coverage) and charge double what Orange charge for the same service.
- I was charged for water from the mini bar that i didn't drink... i bought my own water (because theirs was ridiculously expensive) and put it in the fridge and they charged me for it.
- It is not centrally located.
- It is certainly not worthy of the 'alleged' 4 stars
- breakfast is a ridiculously overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank andcil
Reviewed 3 April 2008

I found The Hotel California charming. The owner makes your stay quite special and the staff in general was helpful and friendly. My first floor room was large and clean though the walls needed new paint. I was given an upgrade to a large room without any request which was great. The hotel's lobby is lovely and the pool area and garden patio add to the experience of the unique hotel. The location is ok but is a little far removed from the heart of Cannes. It is a nice walk down the Croisette, but for a solo traveler the location is not ideal. Cannes is safe but there is little to no foot traffic by the hotel during the evening. The breakfast each morning is served in a nice dining area. I believe this hotel is a good value for Cannes.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
loto, manager at Hotel La Villa Cannes Croisette, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2008

i would like to take this opportunity to THANK YOU ALL THE TRIPADVISORS reviews
the good reviews were cheering me up and the bad reviews were useful as well to try my Best
Although I have been managing this Hotel for 16 years with all my heart and loving all my guests
now the Hotel is sold and the new owners will be managing it ...
and I thought I would drop you all a THANK YOU note from the deepest of my heart hoping the new management will love you as well and take good care of you.

By the way the area is really SAFE , We have had no problem for the last 16 years I have been managing it- THANK YOU

Reviewed 31 December 2007

We once again stayed at the California’s Hotel during a Convention.
It is quite normal and acceptable to pay in advance for our full stay.

Over several years, this hotel has reliably rendered consistent high
quality service. On this trip, one of my colleagues stayed elsewhere,
in a Palace. When she visited me in the Smart room and experienced
the ambience of this beautifully refurbished hotel she immediately
booked the Romantic room for next year and I booked the Smart
room again.
The room size is totally adequate for our needs. The Hotel
location is close to the Croisette and all the local amenities. We
particularly enjoyed the private pool and gorgeous well maintained
garden area.
I would highly recommend this FIRST CLASS Hotel to anyone who
value gracious customer care from highly competent
Multilingual staff.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank beansprout1945
Reviewed 30 November 2007

I must confess that I'm still puzzled by all the glowing reviews of this place, as they position this hotel as the third highest rated hotel in Cannes - but its never a 4* hotel. The room was about 9-10sqm in size, scarcely decorated and directly facing the railway with trains running literally in front of the window in about 20 meters distance. There is a small reception area with a bar, no real lounge area as such.

I've booked a room for 3 nights, but due to unforseen change in personal circumstances had to leave on the night of the arrival, checked out with the receptionist and was told to pay just for the first night, which sounded fair. After returning home I've discovered that my credit card has been charged for two extra nights in addition to the first payment. I believed in a technical mistake first so have asked the credit card company to investigate, but to my surprise this hotel apparently always charges for the full stay - no matter when the guest actually leaves. So beware: should you choose to leave earlier you will be liable for the full price. I guess the management will reply in this forum telling I've got it all wrong..

The position is good in terms of its proximity to the Croisette.
In summary - you could enjoy this if you went expecting a two star hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
13  Thank Shastar
loto, MANAGER at Hotel La Villa Cannes Croisette, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2007

Dear Sir
I would like to thank you for your comments,
and I would like also to point out 2 things
1/ the guests who wrote very nice reviews are not stupid and you owe them and their opinion a kind of respect
2/ in your case , you booked through an internet agency and not directly with the Hotel
we have contracts and we must respect them because we are charged high commissions on the bookings you make through them

The Hotel has been totally refurbished in 2007 with the best fabrics nad the rooms are fully equippped and we do have plasma TV in all rooms
on the internet system you booked , we only sell the Smart rooms(12sqm + bathroom) because they want very cheap rates
but if you come to Cannes again, I will offer you a free night in a Romantic room
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & MERRY CHRISTMAS