“Don't let the roadworks put you off”

Novotel Suites Cannes Centre
Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
York, United Kingdom
“Don't let the roadworks put you off”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is the third time we have stayed here. We know the locations handy for the town and the beach, as well as the restaurants. What I didn't know was that I would be getting a 6am wake up call courtesy of a pneumatic drill digging up the road right under my window.
I had read here on tripadvisor that there were some roadworks going on down the bvd, the have dug up the pavement as well so if you are wearing thin shoes you will feel all the pebbles underneath you.
Obviously this has nothing to do with the hotel so I cannot mark them down for that- what would have been nice would have been a courtesy call/text/email advising us of this so i knew I would be awoken early.
The reason I gave I a 4 was because of the very slow check in. It was gone 8pm and we had been travelling/delayed for hours I just wanted my bed. The receptionist was talking to a lady in front of us in native tongue. An American teenager interrupted saying the front desk had hung up on his call twice and what was his problem? The receptionist pretended he didn't know much English to help the kid, but when the lad asked the receptionist to carry on booking in his guest the receptionist turned to him and said she isn't a guest. If she wasn't a guest (and just a friend I presume- As I don't speak fluent French I couldn't eavesdrop!) then why didn't he tend to our needs first?
Don't let this put you off, everyone has their off days- I'm sure we will be back in time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunroofgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The room was big, with a queen size bed and an extra bed for my teen. The bedroom area had a divider and the living area had a table and a microwave and sink area, which we really appreciated. The bathroom was great - separate from the toilet and my room had a separate shower and bathtub. The decor was very nice. The location was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see, and we enjoyed the petit dejeuner. The wi-fi connection was great as well. I highly recommend it.

1 Thank Lmk304
SUITEHOTELCANNES, Directeur général at Novotel Suites Cannes Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Suite Novotel Cannes Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Patrick Surault

Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel was definitely a great experience during our tour through France and is highly recommendable for families with teenagers. The location is in walking distance of all sightseeing spots you want to visit in Cannes even if there is currently road construction in progress just in front of the hotel. The breakfast could be improved. However, all in all, the price paid for is definitely worth the money. One side note: the parking below the hotel is a big challenge if you are having a bigger than standard car.

1 Thank FamTrescher
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed three nights at the Suite Novotel in Cannes recently and was most pleased with our stay. The rooms are clean and quite big -- large enough for two adults and a teenager. One can draw a partition to divide the living room from the bedroom area. Bathrooms are separate from the toilet -- very convenient when travelling with a teenage daughter. The bathroom itself has a separate tub and shower. The kitchen area has a microwave oven and fridge, so we made our own breakfasts. We borrowed cups and bowls from the hotel's breakfast room as there is no cutlery or crockery in the room.

Staff seemed friendly and helpful. One can borrow beach towels from the reception desk.

Drawbacks: the hotel is a bit far from Cannes' beaches; it's at least a ten minute walk to the railway station and another 10 minutes to the nearest public beach. The airconditioner could have been colder. There is only one lift, so it can get quite busy at times.

Pluses: room size and price. We booked in advance and paid about 109 euros per night. Where else can you do that in Cannes in the high season and get a really good-sized room?

1 Thank Unhappy14
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 13 July 2013

be prepared to endure hot and stuffy conditions in your room. Aircon was not working properly within the hotel premises (lobby, restaurant, reception and rooms). windows could also not be opened to help the heat escape the room. rooms could be cleaned slightly better as many spots were missed in the toilets or bathrooms.

despite aircon issues, the hotel has a good kids breakfast which is also adult friendly.
good TV and movie selection and comfy beds.

Nice hotel but aircon needs to be fixed!

Room Tip: parking on site for only 10 EUR and choose room away from main road. be prepared to wait for the el...
3 Thank ETBANGKOK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I was really pleased I chose this hotel. Having stayed in the Suite Novotel in Malaga I knew what to expect. I particularly appreciate having a mini-kitchen as I travel by myself so don't always fancy dining in a restaurant (be aware that plates, cutlery etc are not provided). The local Monoprix supermarket is only a short walk away. (French food and ready meals are a lot nicer than English ones!)

Staff were friendly. As I asked for a quiet room I got one facing the interior courtyard rather than the main road - I recommend this for light sleepers. Generally noise was very minimal from other rooms too.

As other reviewers have mentioned there are currently a lot of roadworks going on around the area so it might not be the best choice for those in wheelchairs or with serious mobility issues as some of the pavements are dug up. Best check with the hotel before booking as it looks like they are progressing fast so might be over soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the interior courtyard and you won't hear any road noise at all.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Yes this hotel is located within walking distance of the main train station but be prepared to traverse some gravel sidewalks while the works are taking place on the Main Street.

Checkin was friendly and Olivia happily reassigned a room after the original was an unrequested smoking one.

Which turned out to be good; just be warned that if assigned a shower-only room that you may be mopping up afterwards! The design of the washroom is such that there are no barriers for the water so you end up with a room covered with water after your shower. Think of being on a boat after a rain shower.

Beds are comfortable and rooms quiet with some English TV news channels. A kettle is provided with some tea and coffee selections. Although no mugs, just plastic cups on the 'galley' above the microwave. There is an ironing room on the 6th floor.

We didn't take advantage of the breakfast but there are numerous little cafes in the area to get fruit, breads, juices, etc.

Checkout by Vanessa was quick and professional. A cheery goodbye and we were off. Would stay again - in a room with a bathtub!

Room Tip: Request a room with a bathtub.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends