“Modern hotel, good location, facilities and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montaigne Hotel & Spa

Montaigne Hotel & Spa
Ranked #25 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Kiev, Ukraine
“Modern hotel, good location, facilities and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel is located close to all places of interest and it is in quiet place. Rooms are quite big, in very good condition, and with all those small details that make a stay not only good, but perfect. It certainly has its 4*, and sometimes 5* places are worse than this hotel. I liked the restaurant and breakfast. I would return back here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Kate,
Thank you so much for your rewiev which has been transmitted to all the staff. This kind of message makes us very happy and gives us energy to continue!
Hope to welcome you soon,

Serge Reinhard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Clarksville, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a hotel to avoid. The only reason to stay here is if you want to be within a 15 minute walk to the restaurants and the beach – but I am sure there are better alternatives.

Complaint #1: Be sure to double-lock your door. They gave our room keys to a bunch of new arrivals. From what I could tell they do not have a computer system to keep track of which rooms are occupied. Otherwise, they might have noticed that a) we hadn’t checked out, b) we still had an unpaid tab on the room, and c) the room was configured with a king-sized bed which might not have been the best choice for a group of teenagers apparently on some school trip. When I complained to the guy who said he was the manager he reluctantly mumbled a barely audible “sorry” and blamed me for not reporting this when it happened (as opposed to a few hours later when we were checking out) – as if that would have made any difference. Subsequently we received a letter from the general manager saying he was sorry and blaming “human error” – as opposed, I guess, to computer failure or weather.

Complaint #2: Their WiFi is useless. It was non-functional about 90-95% of the 3 days we were there. I overheard many guests complaining about this at the front desk and they were all told gibberish about how the problem was in the guests’ firewall configuration. (See the theme here about blaming the guest.) I was sometimes able to get apps to work when their browser counterparts would not – so I suspect they hotel’s firewall was not configured correctly.

Complaint #3: Pack water shoes! The shower is enclosed by only a small glass wall so it threw water all over the marble bathroom floor – and we did not use the horizontal jets that would have made matters much worse. We had several near falls due to the incredibly slippery floor. Others in our tour group had the same complaint.

I have not rated this hotel for Value since our stay was part of a tour.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Born-in-Bklyn
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I wish to express my deepest regrets that your stay in Hotel Montaigne&Spa did not meet your expectations. It is very regrettable also that you were not properly informed about the restaurants and shops, the closest are less than 300meters (0.91miles) away, and you even have some restaurants around the corner of the hotel.

I assure you that for the safety of our clients we have the latest technology to manage the room occupancy, the movements of the doors and the electronic keys (RFID Card). After investigating more on what really happened with the help of these systems and our video surveillance system, we were able to see that when the young guests (we do not accept school trips) entered your room, the door was slightly opened. Unfortunately the guests mixed the room numbers 101 and 110, I think we can call this “a human error”.

Concerning the WIFI connection, a total check of the system has been done lately and we are constantly checking it to provide the best service to our clients.

Our bathroom floors are made of specials bathroom tiles, nevertheless we propose to our guests anti slide mats when wanted. Unfortunately any other type of carpet or soil type would not be hygienic in a hotel bathroom.

I stay at your entirely disposal for any further information,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is well placed, less than five mins walk from beachfron and main shopping area. There are supermarkets and shops within 100 m. The staff were very friendly and helpful, happily spoke good English. Breakfast buffet was good, reasonable quality and variety of hot and cold choices. Did not try the separate restaurant but friends said it had nice food. There is a very pretty outdoor area for breakfast or lunch. The basement pool isquite shallow and otas warm as you would expect, but was very clean and enjoyable. Did not try any of the spa services. Room was comfortable with a window that opened, quite rare these days. I kept window closed at night as there was quite a lot of street noise. Bathroom was okay, clean with good toiletries. Overall, I think this is a good hotel. They seem to have good internet deals. Great position for exploring Cannes. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank O3098HTelizabethm
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to read your comment! Thank you for taking the time to write it with so many positive details!

Hope to welcome you again,

Best regards,
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Montaigne is a surprising value, all things considered. It's on a quiet side-street just off the main thoroughfare (Boulevard Carnot) and 2 blocks from Place du 18 Jun (another main street) and the train station. The hotel is within easy walk of the Boulevard de Croisette (the main waterfront street), the Film Festival pavilion, the marina, and all of the waterfront restaurants and shops. It is also an easy (5-10 minute) walk from the Saturday morning farmers market which becomes an antique market on Sunday morning.

We were on the 6th floor, and had absolutely no noise problems. Our room was extremely modern, and the bath was surprisingly large and well-lit. They have a spa in the basement, and an indoor swimming pool.

All that said, the hotel seems to specialize in tour busses. They had several very large groups in-and-out during our stay. An exceptionally nice breakfast buffet is included in the room price. In addition, the hotel features a very well-appointed restaurant (separate from the breakfast "dining room") and has recently hired a new Italian chef who has re-done the menu and the wine list. Dinner there was much better than one usually expects at a small hotel. Valet parking is also available, as is laundry service. In short, I would definitely recommend this hotel, particularly for the budget conscious traveler.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a street-front room for the view. The street is quiet, and the drapes very thick to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnK1954
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear JohnK1954,

Many thanks for your very detailed comment! I read it with great pleasure and I was pleased to transmit it to my staff.

I am sure other travellers appreciate also all the tips you gave for their stay in Cannes.

Hope to welcome you again,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is very good. The standard of our room was high and the staff were helpful when we asked lots of questions about getting around Cannes etc. We ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was good and surprisingly reasonable by Cannes standards. Breakfast was fine, with a choice of hot and cold food. The coffee was particularly good.

The hotel is a short walk from the old town and is an excellent base for exploring the area. We bought a weeks travel pass from the station at Cannes which gave us unlimited access to the rail system in the area. We paid €22 each for a week, allowing us to travel from Cannes as far as Beaulieu. Presumably you could extend the range of your travel - although this might up the price. You will need to take your passport (or a copy of the main page) with you when you apply. You will then need to carry this proof with the tickets.

We would return to this hotel. Great value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paulboy100
Dear Guests,

I enjoyed reading your comment and I appreciate the time you consacrated for writing it. You also gave very nice tips for other travellers willing to explore the region! Thank you!

I look forward to welcome you again,

Your faithfully,

Aldeburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel over the Valentines weekend and the overall experience was good to average. The location of the hotel itself is perfect, located on a nice quiet street within walking distance to all the restaurants, shops and bars. The room we had was a large double room with a big bed and big television which was pleasing. The hotel and the room was very clean and nicely decorated.

I must add on a bad note, the hotel staff seemed to be more accommodating to the 'French' guests rather than the English although we did not meet any. When we asked to book a table we were told we could not as they were full, not even a later table or room service was offered so after that we did not bother to eat there. We were also waiting at reception to ask a question and a French couple behind us were called to come AROUND us to be served! We did not say anything but it was very offensive and made us feel out of place.

All in all, we would not stay here again due to not feeling very welcome. Which is sad to say about a hotel as everything about it was lovely, the staff just let it down.

Room Tip: Do not expect to get Wifi as mine did not work the entire stay!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Liviee21
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dears Guests,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your comment. I wish to apologize on the name of my staff that you did not felt welcome. At the same time I am very surprised because the most part of the staff is not from France, but all over the Europe (Italy, Albanie, Finland..) and all the staff speaks english.

We did not wait a such a succes for the Weekend of St Valentin and I have to say that we got surprised and were not at the best of our service.

If ever you wish to give us an other try, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you again,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago and did not have the best of experiences. However, this time, we were rather taken with the Montaigne. It's a short stroll to the Croisette and the Palais des Festivals (where my husband was working). We'd asked for a room with a bath, which we got, and our room was situated at the back of the hotel, which is quieter than the front. Plenty of hot water, good quality towels and toiletries. The room wasn't huge but functional, with a desk and an armchair.

The Wifi worked much better (this time, I was able to access an ftp site I have to use for work) except for one morning when it went down for a couple of hours. The staff were helpful and the problem did not occur again, although Wifi could be slow at times.

Good breakfast although mini-pastries seemed cooked from frozen rather than fresh. Fairly good selection of cereals, packaged juice (not freshly squeezed).

The addition of an Italian restaurant since our last stay is a plus. We ate there on our first night and the food was fresh, plentiful and tasty. It would be useful to have a note of the restaurant opening hours and menu in the bedrooms as it was not clear at times whether it was open or not. The courtyard is a perfect place to have lunch when the sun shines, which I did on the last day, the only drawback is that it took over 30 minutes for my main dish to arrive and I was not the only one. I would also offer small carafes of wine (250 ml) rather than just wine by the glass or half bottle/bottle.

I had the pool to myself a couple of times and it was lovely to be able to have a swim on site. All staff were friendly.

One last thing, the lifts are very slow especially when the hotel is full but I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

Overall, I'd definitely come back and maybe next time try the Spa facials, although they seemed quite expensive but the hotel does have packages and offers at times.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank caratania
Serge_Reinhard, Responsable relations clients at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Caratania,

Many thanks for your comment and all the precious information for us in order to improve our facilities and services.

I am happy to read that your overall experience was better than 1st time you came!

Awaiting the pleasure to welcome you again,

Sanna Gehrke / Deputy Manager