“Fantastic, Mostly Perfect”

Chateau de la Chevre d'Or
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Eze
Reviewed 17 July 2008

The physical location of the hotel, with spectacular views of the Med, Cape Ferrat peninsula, and set in the medieval town with unbelievable gardens, terraces, and pathways almost immediately make the property worth any price. Okay, there's the catch, no place is worth any price, and our suite at 700 euro per night, your essentially expect perfection. There were very few flaws and I don't want to enumerate them given the overall very positive feelings for this location/hotel.

If you are cost sensitive, or at least will have hightened expectations adding on each incremental 100 euro that will increase your scrutiny, my recommendation here would be to take the least expensive room just to gain admission to the property, then enjoy the beautiful terraces, views, pool, and Eze itself, such as the cactus garden high above the Med at the top of the town, and the Rothchild mansion tour in St J Cape Ferrat. The room really doesn't matter at the end of the day at this spectacular setting. I can't under-emphasize the character and setting of the property, it is truly stunning.

The restaurant too, isn't necessary, but looks very nice. Unfortunately, we had a real blowup situation, having been fully prepared to spend 1000 euro, but were insulted (likewise won't get into detail, but in a nutshell guests spending 700 euro night shouldn't be placed in appendages of the restaurant that shouldn't even have a table) and found a comfortable terrace place in nearby Turbie with spectacular views and very casual, friendly folks.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorldTravelPBI

Reviewed 4 July 2008

This is a superb hotel. The views are extraordinary. The Service impeccable. Its going to be expensive so no point in whingeing about the cost of anything there. We stayed in one of the suites which had breathtaking views.

If you want to stay there then the things that you neeed to consider are:

The hotel is an array of small medeaval houses all joined together...the rooms and suites are not the largest on the planet....nor are the showers...when the village houses were built in the 12th Century they didn't consider that in 900 years time a lot of very large Americans would be holidaying there.

The swimming pool is small and there are only about a dozen sun loungers....but the views are unbeleivable.

So, if you are on the large side or want a family holiday with small children then this probaby isn't going to suit you....otherwise its a dream of a place.

If you want an even better meal at half the price and even more spectacular views then take the 4 minute walk up the hill to the Chateau d'Eza.....incredible place and faultless service....gentlemen must wear trousers....designer jeans are ok....just no shorts of any kind.

We also ate at the little restaurant down the hill called Pinoccio...which was as good as you get anywhere....the fillet steaks and the slow cooked lamb shanks were superb.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Freddy22
Reviewed 26 June 2008

beautiful place and gardens. stunning. but food crazy expensive. dinner main courses some at 168 euros!!!!!!!! just one course. yes 168 euros. a record?
room tiny and a /c not good and our terrace had fans going all nigt long and kitchen smells coming onto it although view was great except you see alot of ac units as well.asked to move but no action provided. piano music great, food very good but price mad mad. small bowl of fruit 40 euros!!evian small in room 7 euros. mean mean.grand hotel du cap is cheaper!!! breakfast extra - didnt make that clear at booking and portions tiny and mean. pathetic.
i wont go back, village is beautiful and views amazing over cap ferrat.. the best. rooms in very good condition.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank alfredthomas
Reviewed 25 May 2008

My husband and I have been returning to the Hotel for the last 5 years. Not only the location and set up of the hotel is outstanding but the restaurant is my favorite worlwide. The chef is so imaginative, last year (2007) a dish themed around the simple tomato left all the foie gras and caviar I have ever tasted far behind. When combined with te location and the sympathic service of M. Derrien, the sommellier be prepared to a fantastic stay.

Digging deep in my memory looking for problem, 2-3 years ago we run into problem with using the safe as the instrutions were inacurrate. I am not sure if they fixed the instructions or if we memorised them after acouple of stays, so beware.

Also, remember that this is a luxury place on the Riviera and before ordering a bottle of champagne from the bar, check the price as it might be far more expensive than the whole gourmet dinner for two !

This is an ideal place for a clebrating an anniversary or a birthday. I would guarantee that you will never forget this place.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2008

The view at the Golden Goat is absolutely amazing. You truly can see the lights of Monaco on the left and those of St. Tropez on the right. Absolutely stunning. The hotel is in an unique location perched on the edge of a cliff in a medieval village.

Unfortunately the decor of the room (#2) did not match the beauty of the surroundings. If everything didn't match I would have thought a color blind person had done the color scheme. Everything was magenta, bubblegum pink and ultra modern. This turned out to be the least of our concerns.

When we checked in we asked whether we could make reservations for dinner that night. We were told that the restaurant was full which I thought was tacky for a 5* establishment to book their restaurant full enough that those staying with them couldn't eat there. But it was no big deal and we were told that we could eat at the hotel's traditional French grill. Around dinner time I went up to the desk to ask where the grill was and was told that they were closed that day and the person who checked us in had made a mistake. At this point I was getting a bit frustrated and asked what our dining options were outside of the hotel. I was told that if we wanted anything 'worth eating' we had to drive back to Nice (~30 minute drive).

But wait...it gets better. At this point I went back to my room to discuss with my husband whether we wanted to drive a half an hour in the dark on unfamiliar roads to get something to eat. When I walked in it sounded like a very loud classical radio station was on. It turned out that the bar was over our room with a piano directly over the bed. Trying to make the best of the situation my husband and I decided to go upstairs and sit in the bar to enjoy the music and have a drink. When we got to the door a staff member was standing outside and informed me that only those that are eating at the restaurant can go inside the bar. I called the front desk and was told that the piano would be playing until two in the morning.

I'm not one to complain but this was ridiculous. For over 800 euros a night this was completely unacceptable. I went to the desk and explained the frustration of the situation. They said they would do their best to have the piano end early.

We ended up going down to the bottom of the hill and having a fantastic local meal at the Cheval Blache that was definitely 'worth eating'. The restaurant staff was kind enough to let us stay a little late after we finished our meal so that we could avoid returning to the noise in our room. When we came back to the hotel a little after 11pm our room was still bubblegum pink but thankfully quiet.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 18 May 2008

When you spend $900 a night for a hotel room, you expect everything to be wonderful, and I’m pleased to say that it was. We spent 3 nights at the Chateau de la Chèvre d’Or at the end of April. This was my second stay at the hotel (my first having been not long after 9/11). We were greeted warmly by the reception desk and the concierge. Our room, # 15, was simply lovely. It was on the Rue de Bari just before the entrance to the hotel. We had a private staircase, a large closet area, a huge bedroom/living area with a fireplace, and an enclosed sunroom with a clear view to the Mediterranean, Cap Ferrat to the west and the hills behind Monte Carlo to the east. The marble bathroom was wonderful with a separate stall shower and Jacuzzi tub. My only complaint was that the chairs in the room, although in keeping with the décor, were not particularly comfortable.

Our three night package included a lunch on the terrace, a dinner in the gourmet restaurant and a wine tasting. The lunch on the terrace was quite good and the service was excellent. I was pleased to see that Felix the black and white cat, was still in residence on the terrace and seemed to welcome me back after all these years.

The dinner in the gourmet restaurant was a once in a lifetime experience. When we walked over to the lobby to go to dinner, we were asked by the man who was to escort us to dinner whether we wanted to have a cocktail in the bar since they were running a bit late in the dining room. While I did not feel pressured to have a cocktail, it was slightly uncomfortable to be kept waiting when we had the earliest reservation. However, I was able to occupy myself with the internet while waiting. The dining room is spectacular with an incredible view of the coast, and we were seated at a window table with a beautiful view of the Mediterranean. We had been told that our wine tasting would take place during the dinner, and I feared that we would somehow be shortchanged. Once again, we were pleasantly surprised. We were served at least one glass of a different wine with each course of the meal, and there were many courses! The wines were all of high quality; some were local and some from other regions of France. The courses consisted of extremely small portions of very creative and interesting food. Despite the small size of the portions, we were quite stuffed by the end of the meal. The service was exceptionally good, formal but not stuffy and reminded me of “the good old days” on Cunard Line in the 1950’s. The sommelier went out of his way to explain all of the wines to us which made the evening even more enjoyable.

The price of the meal with wine is undetermined since it was buried inside the $2,700 cost of our three night package, but it was no doubt very expensive. This was a special treat for us, and we hope to return to Èze someday soon. My overall impression is that the hotel staff is more friendly and accommodating than they were in the past.

If you want to eat nearby the hotel, try the Auberge du Cheval Blanc in Èze for a fun and reasonably priced dinner.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 March 2008

Eze, with its mediaeval village and panoramic views is an incredible spot, and if you stay there, the Chevre d'Or is the place to stay. Definitely the best situated of the luxury hotels, (Chateau Eza is higher up, and the view is limited to one side, although still amazing) the hotel is part of the village - rooms are located through doorways and alcoves and you need to walk the village streets to get to many of them. Bring your walking shoes - the cobbled streets and stairs are not suited to heels! It is important to note that all the rooms are different - and some substantially better than others in terms of location, privacy, size, decor and view. It may be worthwhile to check in early to have a choice of rooms. We stayed in a superior room with a lovely terrace. We couldn't fault the room although there were many, many stairs to climb which might not suit everyone. It was clean, and a lot of thought had gone into making sure there was every amenity. Service at the hotel was good overall, with extremely obliging staff, but it seems as if there are some issues. On one of the days, housekeeping forgot to make up our room, until we called to remind them. The same happened to our friends in another room. Breakfast, which is not included in the room rate, is of excellent quality, but given that it is a set price, they didn't seem keen to give you anything more than you asked for! (ask for everything they mention as options to make the most of the offer) We ate at the restaurant on one night, and it was fine, although we couldn't rave. As with many Michelin starred establishments, it has a very limited menu that doesn't accommodate fussy eaters or people with dietary requirements of any type, although the chef was accommodating to the non-shellfish eaters. Some of the flavours just didn't work for us, and the tiny main courses were sharply contrasted with desserts which comprised 2 or 3 plates each! Also, ensure you sit in the downstairs room with the panoramic view - we sat upstairs and the tables do not all face the window which definitely would enhance the experience. In summary, the Chevre d'Or is an amazing hotel - perhaps for a special occasion. Eze is not well situated to tour the Cote d'Azur, mainly because of its hilltop location and the need to travel windy and steep roads to get there. A day out in Monaco is doable, but otherwise it's a trek. One could however happily spend 2 or 3 days relaxing in this hotel and in the village. Late spring to early autumn when it's warm is probably best too, as the terrace is open and one can use the swimming pools and gardens and make the most of the hotel facilities. But the town is likely to be swarming with tourists. I am extremely glad to have had the experience of staying in Eze and at the Chevre d'Or, but am unlikely to go back.

Stayed: March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eze
Chateau Eza
#1 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel Eze Hermitage
Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer

Been to Chateau de la Chevre d'Or? Share your experiences!