“Not so good I'm afraid...”
Review of Lou Fassum

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not so good I'm afraid...”
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I just got the opinion that they had so much more to give and I feel sure that they do, maybe with a little nurturing they will because they have a great restaurant, with spectacular views... Most of the service was ok, although verging on rude from the maitre d' , and the food had 'great promise' but was lacklustre. I felt like they all needed to get together, the kitchen, the restaurant and the management, to talk, to come together on this fabulous restaurant they could have... My first course was very good a salde nicoise of a sort, which I would have preferred as a main in retrospect. My main course fish was totally overcooked and 'warm' although it had a nice taste, and my dessert was Ok but not special, such a shame!

Ilkley
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Having visiting this restaurant several times before and always have had the most amazing experience, I am sad to write that a visit last week tarnished my memories of this place.

We went on Saturday night and there was a set menu for 49 euros which we were happy to pay, the only problem was that everyone on the table had to have the same starter, main and dessert even though they gave 2 choices. If we had been 2 couples on seperate tables we would have been able to order the different choices.... couldn't understand this.

However, we chose from the A la carte menu and ordered wine, a jug of house water and pre dinner drinks. They brough us Evian water and poured a glass before we noticed but still charge us for it.

The appetisers were brought, put down with no explanation as to what they were. When we asked for an explanation, they just rattled off what they were but didn't inidicate which was which - one was obvious but the other two could have been either and as we had a non meat eater with us we had to be sure.

The food was good but not excellent and the same goes for the service.

I usually give a place a second chance but this is too expensive to risk making another mistake. Quite sad as the setting is stunning, shame they haven't kept the service and food upto par.

Nice, France
“A slight disappointment”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We were taken to this restaurant by visiting guests and had suggested it because another friend had recommended the menu at 25 Euros and this was within in our young hosts budget. How disappointing to find upon our arrival that this menu is not available between 01 July and 31st August. (we visited on 01 July!) There was nothing on the website to indicate this but beleive the menu has subsequently been removed.. So, we opted for the 39 Euro menu and it was very good but obviously rather more expensive that planned. The view from the terrace is spectacular.

Helsinki
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Considering the reputation, this should have been the Great Sunday lunch on our vacation trip to Cote d'Azur. But I think the visit made us just very confused as this restaurant has an "etoile" and has earned a "Coup de Coeur" (=a red heart) in the Gault Millau guide which usually is very reliable in their reviews.
The setting is wonderful and we got a great table on the terrasse. But the first course, the "foie gras" was very, very light in taste - actually the one I can buy vacuum-packed here on the market i Finland, produced by Rougié, is much better. The focus seemed to be on the bread and raspberry-port-jelly served together with the liver. It didn't help, it all tasted.. just fat.
The rest of the meal was slightly better but did not make us to recover from this first disaster. For the main course we had small octopus on a creamy lemon risotto - for me the risotto was tasteless and reminded me of our Christmas puddings we use to eat on Christmas eves morning... it did not make me think of an italian risotto...
We had a nice bottle of Patricia Ortelli's great local wine (70€ though) and ended up in 220 € for the lunch. I can tell, we had a few much more enjoyable meals for less than 100 €:s during our vacation week.

2 Thank Peter_from_Finland
Ilkley
“Fabulous Restaurant”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Just got back from 2 weeks in the South of France and visited Lou Fassum on 3 occasions - 2 at lunchtime and 1 evening.

On one visit - which we booked at 4.00pm for a 8.00pm dinner - when we arrived we weren't happy with the table and asked to be moved which they did immediately and with very good grace.

The food was incredible on each visit and the presentation was fabulous. All the staff were very attentive and polite without being intrusive (although miss the old wine waitor from years past).

The view as well looking towards Grasse and the coast are breath taking - well worth a visit.

I would definitely recommend this restuarant.

1 Thank Softail1