“Very bad experience for my honeymoon!!!”
Review of Claridge's Hotel

Claridge's Hotel
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Menton
Bucharest
“Very bad experience for my honeymoon!!!”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I have recently spent 5 days of my honeymoon at Claridge's. One of these days, in the afternoon, me and my wife left the room, we let the key at the reception and went to the beach. When we came back in the evening, after shower, we wanted to use our perfumes as usually but huge surprise: BOTH OUR PERFUMES ARE MISSING!!! We checked everywhere, nothing else was missing but the two perfumes we bought for our wedding and, as we started to use them at the wedding, they were practically new (Chanel Mademoiselle and Dior Homme, both 100 ml). It became clear to me that SOMEONE HAS STOLEN THEM, AND IT WAS SOMEONE OF THE HOTEL STAFF because I left my perfume outside in the hotel room, but my wife, she used to keep it in the baggage, among some clothes. Only someone that entered in our room for cleaning had time to check our luggage and see it. When we announced the hotel's manager, Gianmaria, we had another huge surprise: he said this is not possible, that his personnel was working there for 18 years and we cannot stay there anymore. It was Saturday, we would have left the hotel but no other hotel had available rooms in that weekend. We tried to explain all this to Gianmaria, but his behavior was very aggressive, he was only repeating that it's not possible and we can't stay there anymore. We went at the police station and came back with 2 police officers and the manager changed a little bit his attitude. He offered a settlement (one night free). We lost time in our honeymoon with investigation, police officers, last minute hotel booking and fights with an aggressive hotel manager who couldn’t even fight in English. Also we lost money, because his one night free doesn’t cover our loss. The next morning, when we asked the hotel staff about this, we found out that the manager didn’t ask them a single question about those perfumes and also he had a two weeks new employee. This makes Gianmaria a liar (maybe he has stolen them).
Also, the Wi-Fi doesn’t work all the time and the room has only two 220V sockets, one for TV and one for fridge. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND TERRIBLE STAFF!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank gliviu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Evian-les-Bains, France
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Just for one night to discover Menton. The room is super small and the bed is not so comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Menton hotels

Berkeley, California
Reviewed 8 March 2011

This is a very comfortable economy hotel just a block from the train station. Across the street was an outdoor public market; and the beach was less than a mile walk.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Evans, Georgia
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This small hotel is not small in amenities and service. I made my reservation several weeks in advance, and I selected the Claridge's because of its ideal proximity to the train and bus stations (la gare et la gare routiere). Gian Maria, the reception desk clerk, assured me via email that I could ship some personal items that I didn't want to carry on the GR5 trail ahead to the hotel. I had planned on spending 2 nights at the hotel, but since I finished my trek a couple of days early, I spent 4 nights there.
I try to adhere tp the South Beach Diet, which flies in the face of traditional French breakfast, which is high in calories and low in fiber and protein. I asked the proprietor if he knew of a nearby restaurant where I might be able to order an omelette for breakfast. He thought and shook his head. Then he said, "I'll tell you what tomorrow morning I'll get some eggs, and I'll make you an omelette. I can get the eggs at 8:00. Would 9:00 be a good time for breakfast?" Each morning I sat down to a breakfast of delicious coffee and an omelette.
Starting my second day at the hotel, each employee there addressed me by my name, and the proprietor and two reception desk clerks always knew my room number when I came in.
The rooms are small according to typical American expectations, and the hotel has a 2-star rating. But the noise control, climate control, and immaculate rooms make this a 3-star experience. The way that the staff treated me was what I would expect in a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Scotland
Reviewed 28 May 2010

An good, friendly welcome. All staff pleasant, helpful and friendly, Good breakfast. Station only 5 minutes walk. Good free WiFi but weak signal on second floor.

Rooms small but good sound insulation. Room sizes will change during refurbishment in July and August 2010: http://www.hotel-claridges-menton.federal-hotel.com/ This may mean that the star rating and prices will go up.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Derbyshire
Reviewed 30 April 2010

We have stayed at Claridge's about seven times, each time for about two weeks and have always found it clean, comfortable and well run with friendly and helpful staff who have welcomed us back warmly at each visit. It is a budget hotel giving good value for money, well placed for the town and the bus and rail stations, and we have never experienced any problems on our visits.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We only stayed for one night and the hotel was very basic. It was supposed to have air conditioning but that didn't work and so we had to sleep with the window open, which was very noisy. The hotel is next to a train station and so the noise of trains going by kept us awake. The room appeared to be clean and the bed was comfortable. However, the next morning we all four (two couples) had bites but thought nothing of it until the bites started to itch and weep later on. We did not see any evidence of bed bugs but we have to conclude that we picked them up here. We decided to have breakfast out of the hotel because the breakfast area didn't look very clean.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends