“Not bad and ten mins from Monaco, near Menton station”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Claridge's Hotel

Claridge's Hotel
Claridge's Hotel
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Menton
Verbier
“Not bad and ten mins from Monaco, near Menton station”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Nice enough cheap hotel, said full on the door so went in to see if they had a partner hotel they could recommend. Turns out they were not full and took 58 Euros for a clean double room. Difficult to part but 1 min from the station which is ten mins from Monaco so a massif saving on staying in Monaco it's self.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Julian G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I must admit I was a bit weary of staying here after reading some of the reviews, but in the end I am very glad I decided to stay here. I was in town for the Monaco Yacht Show and was looking for an economical place close by a train station with in a 10 minute train ride to Monaco. Claridge's Hotel did all this and provided strong FREE internet. My single room was clean, made up every day, the service very good despite limited english of some of the attendents. It is a bit noisy being on an intersection and close to the train, but it was really no bother. The windows are double and do a great job. 2 minute walk to the station, 10 minutes or less to the nice historic center with great places to eat, and less than 10 minutes walk to the beach. Economical, clean, and I would stay here again without reservation.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank newportchappy
Torino
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I've been in this hotel with my girlfriend in June 2011 and we decided to spend the weekend in Mentone. We choose to stay at Claridge's hotel, but it was a bad decision. The first day we decide to go to the beach leaving personal belongings in the room (money, keys, watches). When we returned in the evening at the hotel we had a surprise: all of our money was gone.
We reported the theft to the reception but Gianmaria (the name of the receptionist) was very grumpy and kept telling us that it was not possible and that its staff worked for him for 10 years.
the police report was useless.
We decided to leave the hotel. In the end we spent more money to search for an available hotel and we was in a state of shock.
I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Danyto82

Travellers are raving about these Menton hotels

Bucharest
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I have recently spent 5 days of my honeymoon at Claridge's. One of these days, in the afternoon, me and my wife left the room, we let the key at the reception and went to the beach. When we came back in the evening, after shower, we wanted to use our perfumes as usually but huge surprise: BOTH OUR PERFUMES ARE MISSING!!! We checked everywhere, nothing else was missing but the two perfumes we bought for our wedding and, as we started to use them at the wedding, they were practically new (Chanel Mademoiselle and Dior Homme, both 100 ml). It became clear to me that SOMEONE HAS STOLEN THEM, AND IT WAS SOMEONE OF THE HOTEL STAFF because I left my perfume outside in the hotel room, but my wife, she used to keep it in the baggage, among some clothes. Only someone that entered in our room for cleaning had time to check our luggage and see it. When we announced the hotel's manager, Gianmaria, we had another huge surprise: he said this is not possible, that his personnel was working there for 18 years and we cannot stay there anymore. It was Saturday, we would have left the hotel but no other hotel had available rooms in that weekend. We tried to explain all this to Gianmaria, but his behavior was very aggressive, he was only repeating that it's not possible and we can't stay there anymore. We went at the police station and came back with 2 police officers and the manager changed a little bit his attitude. He offered a settlement (one night free). We lost time in our honeymoon with investigation, police officers, last minute hotel booking and fights with an aggressive hotel manager who couldn’t even fight in English. Also we lost money, because his one night free doesn’t cover our loss. The next morning, when we asked the hotel staff about this, we found out that the manager didn’t ask them a single question about those perfumes and also he had a two weeks new employee. This makes Gianmaria a liar (maybe he has stolen them).
Also, the Wi-Fi doesn’t work all the time and the room has only two 220V sockets, one for TV and one for fridge. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND TERRIBLE STAFF!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank gliviu
Evian-les-Bains, France
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Just for one night to discover Menton. The room is super small and the bed is not so comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 8 March 2011

This is a very comfortable economy hotel just a block from the train station. Across the street was an outdoor public market; and the beach was less than a mile walk.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Evans, Georgia
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This small hotel is not small in amenities and service. I made my reservation several weeks in advance, and I selected the Claridge's because of its ideal proximity to the train and bus stations (la gare et la gare routiere). Gian Maria, the reception desk clerk, assured me via email that I could ship some personal items that I didn't want to carry on the GR5 trail ahead to the hotel. I had planned on spending 2 nights at the hotel, but since I finished my trek a couple of days early, I spent 4 nights there.
I try to adhere tp the South Beach Diet, which flies in the face of traditional French breakfast, which is high in calories and low in fiber and protein. I asked the proprietor if he knew of a nearby restaurant where I might be able to order an omelette for breakfast. He thought and shook his head. Then he said, "I'll tell you what tomorrow morning I'll get some eggs, and I'll make you an omelette. I can get the eggs at 8:00. Would 9:00 be a good time for breakfast?" Each morning I sat down to a breakfast of delicious coffee and an omelette.
Starting my second day at the hotel, each employee there addressed me by my name, and the proprietor and two reception desk clerks always knew my room number when I came in.
The rooms are small according to typical American expectations, and the hotel has a 2-star rating. But the noise control, climate control, and immaculate rooms make this a 3-star experience. The way that the staff treated me was what I would expect in a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo