“Summer trip to French Riviera”

Hotel club Vacanciel Menton
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Menton
Toronto, Canada
“Summer trip to French Riviera”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just returned from the French Riviera where Menton was my home base, Hotel Club Vacanciel Menton... aka L'Orangerine. 10 nights there and absolutely loved it! The hotel is a bit like an old peoples home, but don't let that put you off. It makes for a very safe and quiet hotel, very beautiful from the inside and out. The wifi worked like a charm in my room, the main areas and the breakfast high terrace. Breakfast was great - croissants, pain du chocolat, french bread, yogurt, sausage, ham, cheese, omelette, jams, yogurt, fruit cocktail, fresh fruit, apricots, dates, figs, juice, tea, coffee... everything! Everyone speaks french in the French Riviera, so if you can't speak french and aren't willing to give it a go... maybe it's not for you. Everyone is very polite and very kind, however, I did speak french my entire trip. This hotel is very close to the train station, and bus station - bus 110 takes you to and from the airport terminals for 20 euros - it's your best bet. I took the train to Cannes, Nice, Antibes, Monaco, La Villefranche and Ventimigillia. It's cheap, reliable and fast! My room was clean, but very tiny - a single bed, no safe (you definitely don't need one, it's a 3 euro per day charge anyhow), and the shower was a handheld nozzle but it did have a plastic hanger, mine was broken, so I had to balance it so that I didn't have to hold it the entire time. There are shops, restaurants and grocery stores all very close to the hotel. It's very close to the beach - 5 min walk, bring your own beach towel or buy one at the shop near the beach, they sell umbrellas as well. I enjoyed running the waterfront to Plage Buse, you go through Carnoles, Roque-Brun. There are views of Monaco, in fact, you almost hit it. It's a great run/hike - did it everyday! The old town in Menton is also very cute! Tried many restaurants and liked them all. I recommend the restaurants along the beachfront - service is really great and so is the food! June 21 is a music festival for all of France - it's a night to remember! I travelled alone, but to be honest, it's an area that you should share with someone else. The French are very much about being with friends and family, so it can make you feel a little lonely when you're on your own. It was a very relaxing trip and I enjoyed being able to speak French the entire time, without people trying to speak to me in English - haven't had that experience anywhere else in the world.

Room Tip: Either a side room or preferred front... try not to get the single... unless you're ok with a tw...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Amanda R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hebrew first
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Lovely old hotel, looks like it got stuck somewhere in the 1930s. But it was clean, the room was spacious, good location and helpful staff. Great value for money. Lots of package tours here so you need to get down to breakfast early before they hoover up all the food!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Superior rooms on the front of the hotel - no train or elevator noise, they ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Genoa, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,280 helpful votes
Reviewed 25 February 2013

On Booking.com this hotel is called Hotel Club Vacanciel Menton and signage to the hotel has this name, while the front entrance says “ L’Orangeraie”. It sits a good bit off the Rue Partouneaux through a well-tended garden, which makes for a nice start, but overall the hotel was very average and in some ways disappointing.

Check in was fast, friendly and I had my room 1 hr before check-in time, plus the lovely young receptionist spoke good English. As indicated in other reviews it’s well located, but Menton is a small lovely resort town so most properties are close to the center and beaches. The main problem with its location is the proximity to the train tracks, which run right behind the hotel and the poor windows provide little buffer to the constant train noise making it impossible to sleep without drugs! Other annoyances; the single room was sparten with a view of another wall, but clean, it didn’t have a hairdryer, no bathroom amenities except 1 bar of soap, the TV had only a handful of French stations (no other language) and the safe can only be used by returning to reception for a key. The bathroom was long and skinny-sitting on the toilet crushed your knees against the wall!

Breakfast was annoying! I arrived at 9, all the tables were full of crumbs; you are expected to bus your own dishes, so the tables are never cleaned. At least 1/4 of the food offerings were depleted or dried up looking, although the coffee was constantly replenished, little else was. In a way it’s understandable; I was appalled at how many people stuffed the remaining fruit and breads in their purses, one lady even came prepared with a plastic bag! French packaged groups were everywhere.

The final insult came at checkout. Booking.com clearly states check-out is before noon. There is no signage at the reception to tell you differently, so in the morning I walked around the town and returned at 11:30am, locked out of my room! The maid let me in and my luggage had been removed! When I went to reception to retrieve my luggage and find out what happen, the English speaking receptionist was on break. When she returned, she did locate me in the lobby and apologized, saying that Booking.com has incorrect information on their website and that check out was at 10am-quite early! There was no way for me to know this as there is no signage at the desk regarding check out. As compensation they offered me a coffee (declined) and I didn’t need to pay the .70 cents hotel tax! Overall a very uneven stay and I would choose another hotel on my return, especially if I wanted a good night’s sleep!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the back-very noisy due to trains. Avoid rooms near the elevator, very noisy. Actua...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AnnArborMHT
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This town, and hotel, were popular vacation spots early last century, and the hotel still has the charm, and drawbacks, of an earlier time. Gardens, lobbies, and grand staircases are lovely, rooms are fairly simple. Vacanciel L'Orangerie is now part of a chain that caters to the French package vacation crowd so lots of older couples, and planned events. That in itself can be charming, but also is easy to avoid. Staff was helpful with hairdryers, laundry room tokens, etc.
Rooms along the back costs less, but overlook the train tracks, so bring earplugs. Menton itself is a lovely town, and not quite as crowded or expensive as others along the coast. Driving back to Nice, Monaco, Cannes, etc. is easy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kayla46
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Nice old building, four storey, we were on the fourth floor in a room at the back. Problem with this is that the busy railway line is right behind the hotel so avoid being put in a back of hotel room, it's noisy most of the time! Also the lift is very busy nearly all the time as the residents tend to be aged, Menton town being a large French retirement home essentially. Staff fine, nice grounds. We did not eat or drink there, apart from a glass of wine (purchased locally) in our room (no one objected). If we were using this hotel again we would insist absolutely on a front facing room, which costs extra. Actually, we probably would go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Front facing !!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MOSSIEB
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel looks very grand from the outside and the gardens are beautiful. It is set well back from the road so rooms are very quiet.Staff were very helpful and it is an asset to have on site parking.It is a short walk to beach, shops and restaurants and is very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Janet K
Lyon, France
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel could be really great very easily. Unfortunately, for our week in Menton, too many minor niggles took the shine off our stay. I very nearly scored it 2/5 but as the hotel didn't stop us enjoying our week I've generously scored it as average.

L'Orangeraie has a lot going for it. It is well located just a short walk from the beaches, port and old town. There are a lot of nice restaraunts within easy reach too. The Hotel is in a nice garden setting and is quite a stately building, probably a very grand establishment at one time. It is clearly popular with the more mature tourist. Most of the guests are well into retirement, with a few families and couples not putting much of a dent in the high average age.

Crucially for us, it has covered reserved parking on site for €7 a day. A nice surprise when we checked in was that breakfast was included even though we had booked room only.

The room we had was a triple (only booked a double) and was as big as you could need. We had two large opening windows with external shutters and air con, which was a bit weak, but did the job. It looks like the rooms have been recently refurded and you get an TV with all the normal French stations.

The hotel has free wifi access in the bar/lounge area, not in the rooms.

All good so far, but as the title says, it's the details that let the side down. First off, our room smelt of bad drains. We reported this to reception twice. The very pleasant receptionist said she would have it looked into, but I don't believe anything was done. In the end we gave up and just left the windows open. My gut feeling is that the smell was coming from the AC so we left it off.

Now although we weren't expecting to get breakfast, once we were told it was included we decided to make the most of it. Breakfast is allegedly served between 7:30 to 10:30. We arrived before 10 each morning and there was at least one or two items unavailable. One day no pastries, one day no croissant, one day no cereal and so on. Most days I had to find a member of staff to replenish the cold milk, or provide more bowls and the fruit juice was always down to the dregs.

The hotel has a bar, but is closed from about 2pm until 6:30pm, so no chance of a beer whilst relaxing in the garden in the afternoon. It closes up early in the evening too, so don't expect a night cap after you've been out for a meal. We didn't try having lunch or an evening meal at the hotel so can't comment on that.

The cleaning leaves a little room for improvement too. Even on first arrival, the bathroom was a bit grubby in the corners and it didnt improve through the week. In my experience, standard practise when it comes to loo roll in hotels, is one on the holder and a spare. Not here. They just don't replenish it unless you go and find and ask the cleaner for a new one.

None of the above would be worth writing about by itself, but they all combine to make you think the proprietors are just doing what they have to and not really making an effort. Granted, this hotel is at the cheaper end of the scale for this part of the world, but it's still fairly expensive for what you get, and what you get isn't delivered with much enthusiasm.

Must try harder!