“Charming hotel, good staff, good food, good location ... Full of French charm!”

Belambra Clubs - Le Vendome
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Menton
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

After careful consideration I chose this hotel as a base for a 5 day stay to explore the Côte d'Azur.
I wanted to stay in Menton due to it being off the main tourist trail, it's quieter atmosphere, and it's excellent location. I was not disappointed! I didn't hear an American accent once during my stay (no disrespect to Americans intended, it's the barometer I use for how touristy somewhere is) - It certainly seems to be the place that the French and a few people 'in the know' go.
The hotel is really charming. It clearly caters for an older clientele, but this is not a negative. Just don't go expecting a buzzing bar and Jaegermeister - it's more a sleepy scrabble and a gin & tonic kind of thing. The building is lovely and over looks the Mediterranean and the beach. It also has a rear entrance onto the shopping street. The room was well sized, with lovely high ceilings. The bathroom and separate toilet were clean, well sized and modern. Plenty of plug sockets too. The only issue with the room is that our TV was broken, but after reporting it it was fixed. There is also no fridge so remember that if you stay in the summer.
There is no WiFi in the rooms, however there is free access in the public bar and lounge on the ground floor. Annoyingly you have to log in every half an hour and give all your details each time but at least it's free.
We stayed half board and really glad we did. Breakfast is a very good selection on juices, fruits, cereals, pastries, breads, cheese, ham, yoghurt etc.
Dinner is different each night but they publish the coming days menu outside of the dining room so you can decide in advance if you want to eat out or stay in. Good quality food, would really recommend this as eating out can be pricey (especially if the £ is weak against the € when you go). There is always three courses. Starter is a choice of cooked dish (soup etc) or a salad buffet. Mains are things like fish, rabbit or lamb. The sweet is a self select buffet with lots of choice (fruit, cakes, cheeses etc)

The hotel had assorted board games available and always has some form of entertainment available during the evenings (a film show, singalongs or card games etc). This really gives the hotel a lovely French charm you won't get in the larger, plusher hotels.

The staff are really friendly and helpful. Most are multi-lingual.

As I mentioned this is a good base for exploring this section of the Côte d'Azur. I walked to the Hanbury Gardens in Italy following the higher coast road. It took about an hour and a half each way. A beautiful walk and well worth it for the views. I also took the coastal walk the opposite direction to Monaco which took a leisurely 2 1/2 hours. Again, beautiful views and a great angle to see Monte Carlo.

The train station is about a 15 minute walk or a €7-€9 taxi ride. If you want to use the train then
the train to Monte Carlo takes about 8 minutes, the train to Ventimiglia in Italy takes about 10 minutes. Fares are cheap (a couple of Euros) but make sure you remember to validate your ticket before getting on the train.

There is lots to see and do in Menton - a charming little town and really friendly people. Would highly recommend this town and this particular hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
7 Thank Horizonx30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Izmir, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I wanted to make my res for this hotel through booking.com, however as it was saying that there were no more rooms left I made my booking through the official site of Belambra clubs.And during my stay there was always a sign saying "Chambres Disponible". Anyway, the price was the same and I made my booking and payment without any problems.
I and my wife stayed 6 nights in this very well located hotel. We booked a room with a sea view and the difference we have paid for was really worth. Apart from the wonderful view, we could hear the sounds of the waves while we were sleeping at night. There's a car park very near the hotel and the cost is reasonable comparing with the overall prices in Cote D'Azur. The room is average big in terms of French hotels. The lobby area, the garden and the sunbathing terrace are nice to rest, have some drinks etc. We took the half board option, and had 4 dinners in the hotel. In contrast with the previous comments the set menus were all satisfactory, the wine being served for free was also good. But in my opinion the breakfast was very weak, very little variety of choices, we were fed up of having croissants every day. It's the first time I have seen that they didn't offer any kind of egg for the breakfast. The staff is kind, and most of the time smiling. Despite the lack of their English knowledge, they always tried to be helpful. Overall we had a pleasant stay in this sweet hotel, and would recommend. Some small details which might effect your decision and maybe could be improved:
- There's a safe box in the room but you have to pay 15 € extra for a week. (I used the trunk of my car instead!)
- Lack of TV channels and none of them were English speaking / international. We weren't able to hear any news in our entire holiday (which was good from another point of view!)
- Wi-Fi (free) is only available in the lobby area and you have to log in each time. It didn't work for 2 days in the course of 6 days.
- Breakfast should definitely be improved.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank summersonizmir
dublin ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Just returned from a very pleasant stay at Club Belambra Le vendome. It was a perfect choice for me. The hotel is very cosy and I was lucky to be allocated a gorgeous room, 406, overlooking the bay of Menton and beyond. Perhaps,in the busy season it may me held for two people as there were 2 beds in the room. There was a lovely new modern en-suite in it also a terrace with wooden decking, plus table and chairs with a great view, the light and weather were fantastic. After reading other reviews I didn't know what to expect from the cuisine as I had gotten a great value break with booking.com. it exceeded my expectations,lovely french cooking,e.g.french onion soup,homemade ratatouille,veal.etc. The restaurant was lovely and informal with french chic, and half board was either dinner or lunch,it is a really bright and sunny room overlooking the sea. Menton is a gorgeous vibrant town with great transport links and I can't wait to return. There is a choice of the express bus from the airport to Menton or the 99 bus to Nice train station and train to menton.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the bay of Menton if you would like to really soak up the ambience!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank rosemary s
British Virgin Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stopped in Menton, France on our way to back from Italy. The hotel is on the seafront and also has an entrance on the pedestrian walkway rue Saint Martin. Make sure to put Promenade du Soleil into your GPS and not rue St. Martin. There is no parking at the hotel but you can stop to drop your bags in front of the hotel and park in a garage a couple of blocks away.

Our room was quite large and had a view of the main pedestrian shopping street, which was quite attractive. There was no noise from the street. The bed was very comfortable and there was a loveseat and 2 side chairs. The furniture is vinyl covered but that is probably due to being close to the beach. The dining room is a bit sterile but since we were there only one night and dinner was included in the price we ate there. The food was good but nothing special. Breakfast, also included in our rate, was very good.

The seafront in Menton is quite pretty and there are lots of bars and restaurants along the promenade. The pedestrian shopping street is very clean and has a combination of high street shops and tourist souvenir stores. Note that the usual Cote d’Azur items (tablecloths, lavendar sachets) are much less expensive than other towns we visited. There is a wonderful shop selling “Citron” products as Menton is a center for growing lemons. We bought a delicious Crème de Limoncello and some lemon olive oil.

The hotel staff were very friendly and made us feel most welcome. The rooms, hallways, lobby, bar and restaurant were all immaculate. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The less expensive room's view described as garden view is onto a pedestrian shopping street. It...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BVIslander
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

2 couples were on a bike tour of France & Italy. We were amazed when we rode up and saw this place was right on the beach. It was one of the cheapest rooms we booked on our entire tour, but had the best location. The rooms were big, comfortable, & clean. Breakfast was good, we didn't have any other meals there. They had live music around cocktail hours and the bar was still open when we got back from exploring the town that night. I will have to say, I think we were probably 20+ years younger than everyone else we saw staying there, but that didn't make a difference to us. They gave us a safe place to lock up our bikes for the night too.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank StaceyCA
Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

don't take half pension, only breakfast. There are plenty of very good restaurants in the neighbourhood !!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends