“Best Hotel in Menton”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grossostheim, Germany
“Best Hotel in Menton”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

French hotels, particularly in the South, can sometimes be a challenge. Not in this case!

Parking is available, I made it in and out in my Q5....not easy, but possible. But narrow parkings are standard on Côte d'Azure.

Location of the hotel is perfect. In the centre, just 2 minutes from the main shopping street(s).

Reception was friendly and helpful. The lift to the rooms is a small, very small....but it works. The rooms are for French standards relatively large, clean and in friendly colours. Good bathroom facilities and good shower. Rooms even have a furnished balcony. Heating (via aircon) worked well in the December.

Breakfast offers sufficient choice, staff is very, very friendly. Seating might be a bit "close together", but we survived. Only small issue, the croissants are not fresh, the stuff you get in supermarkets, unfortunately.

Internet works good enough. Only issue, as so often, is the horrible login procedure. If you carry around a number of devices it is a pain. Particularly as the system accepts the same mail address only once.... What is the problem for "free internet" just to be "free"..??

After all, a nice, friendly hotel that I can recommend for a good value for money. Will definetely return to this hotel once I come back to Menton.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ThomasBavaria
Messina M, Front Office Manager at Ibis Styles Menton Centre, responded to this review, 14 October 2015
Many thanks to have spent your time answering to these questions,
We are glad to read that your stay was fine
And we will be pleased to welcome you a next time.
Direction

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

For a good value stay in a central location this was a good choice for us. I think you have to trade amenities for cost. Our priorities are cleanliness, great plumbing, comfortable night when we are on the road. It wouldn't be the place for a long stay. Helpful front desk; basic breakfast but good enough. It has very safe offstreet parking which is valuable. However negotiating the entrance is not easy for a larger car as the passage way in is narrow and tortuous. let the hotel do it!

Room Tip: Try for higher floors, facing front street. Are airy, bright, access to a little balcony.
1 Thank E T
Many thanks to have spent your time answering to these questions,
We are glad to read that your stay was fine
And we will be pleased to welcome you a next time.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The room is really basic. No kettle no fridge, no BBC channel. AC is not working. Breakfast is disappointing with no hot food, only croissants, choc au pains, yogurt, juice, hot drinks (machine is available at the reception, free of charge) cheese and ham. No eggs any kind.
Positive sides: very clean, nice staff at reception, centrally located. Carrefour supermarket is only 50 meters away. If you are on a budget, there is Indochina fast food on Rue Partouneaux to the West of Pierre & Vacances.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Mrs-Karlina
Messina M, Front Office Manager at Ibis Styles Menton Centre, responded to this review, 20 October 2015
We are thankful for the time you have spent in filling the questionnaire
Any advice is extremely helpful for us and we are sincerely sorry that your stay hasn’t attained your expectations.
We will check and try to solve the problems you experienced.
Hoping to be able to welcome you again
In order to try to change your advice,
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I booked one night at this hotel through Expedia. The only reason I booked it was because a family room was available with two double beds and a large veranda with panoramic views. When I turned up at the hotel, this room was not available and they put us in a standard room! I did argue with the receptionist but she said it was Expedia's fault. I asked why she hadn't contacted me to let me know but she was very obstructive and pretended not to understand me. I asked her to get Expedia to call me and I tried to call them too without success. If you have ever tried to call Expedia from abroad on a mobile then you will know how difficult it is, especially since they don't answer their phones! Anyway, we had to settle for a standard room. The first standard room was awful. I went to the loo and the toilet seat came off in my hand so we had to change to another standard room! The whole drama of being given a wrong room, then getting a faulty room and having to argue really did ruin this precious evening of our valuable holiday. Ironically enough, I did not hear back from Expedia until last night (almost a month after our stay). They told me that it was the fault of the hotel for not telling them the family room had been taken! So the hotel blame Expedia and Expedia blame the hotel. I wonder who is telling the truth. I don't know, so that's why I have had to make a complaint against my credit card company for the first time ever! On a side note, the room was dirty, I found a long womans hair in the bathroom and the car park entrance is so badly designed, you need to very careful not to scratch your car. And at the end of the day Menton is an awful place in any case - it's rammed full of coach loads of old people.

p.s. If the hotel dare to comment and defend themselves with their lies, please don't believe a word they say. Maybe you can call me Ibis Styles - you have my number!

Room Tip: Dont trust the hotel. They will give you whatever room they want.
6 Thank gazzerukukuk
allseasonsmenton, Propriétaire at Ibis Styles Menton Centre, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Styles Menton Centre. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At ibis Styles, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel is very clean, comfortable and well-located in terms of seafront and shops. But rooms have no safes (and hotel only has 5 at the disposal of its 40+ rooms), and no kettles and frigs (and although the hotel does have 2 coffee machines which it says are always available for use by guests, we did find that on several occasions during our week's stay both were out of use "for cleaning"). Because the dining area is too small to seat all guests at the same time, helpful notices were posted telling you which times to avoid for breakfast as resident groups were going on trips requiring early starts. Standing back to allow for these on most mornings, we did find that some items of breakfast food (fresh oranges, fruit yoghurts) were regularly not replenished for our sitting. Although it should be said that one tour group was interpreting the "eat all you want for breakfast" policy rather liberally when they lengthened the queue at the coffee machines by filling their flasks, and were seen to be packing up cheese and ham rolls, presumably for their lunches, to the annoyance of fellow guests and one supposes, staff too who seemed to be stressed by this behaviour. Without the presence of a large tour group it could have been a very pleasant experience.

3 Thank Carol N
Messina M, Public Relations Manager at Ibis Styles Menton Centre, responded to this review, 20 October 2015
We are thankful for the time you have spent in filling the questionnaire
We will check and try to solve the problems you experienced.
Hoping to be able to welcome you again