“Wonderful--highly recommended”

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Menton
US
“Wonderful--highly recommended”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My wife and i stayed at Hotel Napoleon the last week of April after attending a book fair in London. We just wanted to enjoy a little sun and some rest and relaxation. We found both. Our service at the Hotel Napoleon was exceptional. We found the staff friendly, helpful and always accomodating. They always went out of their way to make us comfortable. They really made us feel welcome.Their recommendations were perfect, both for restaurants and places to visit. We went to La Coquille d'Or, a seafood restaurant in town and had the best seafood we've ever eaten and I'm in my early '60's and have travelled quite extensively. The sea bass was out of this world. The small supermarket across the street from the hotel is convenient and has a great selection of food, beverages and sundries. The rooms and bathrooms at the hotel were modern, sizeable and immaculate. We had a sea view room and would sit on the balcony with a baguette and pate enjoying the view. There were a couple of doves who would stop by when they saw us which we enjoyed. We had rented a small car at Nice Airport and we were always able to find parking on the street near the hotel. The swimming pool was a nice treat also. I would highly recommend Hotel Napoleon and the town of Menton for a great trip.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the sea are good
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Watford
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is a modern, clean and smartly appointed hotel with friendly, helpful staff. The facilities are good, with a fitness room and small swimming pool. The rooms are immaculate and the mini-fridge is stocked with complimentary soft drinks each day. The decor is elegant and airy. Wifi is available free of charge, no hassle or tickets/passwords required, and was generally pretty reliable. There is an in-room safe operated with a key card, and the toiletries are of a high quality. The bed was extremely comfortable.

If booking a sea view room one should be aware that although the views are beautiful, there are four lanes of traffic between you and the sea - so there is quite a bit of traffic noise if you're on the balcony. However, the soundproofing when the doors are closed is excellent so it didn't disrupt my sleep at all. I also didn't hear any noise from the hallway even though my room was right next to the lift.

One should also be aware that despite what the hotel's website says, there is no longer any affiliation with the beach/restaurant of the same name over the road. In fact the receptionist advised me to go to the Festival beach, a little bit further along (there are a number of beach restaurants along this area, each with its own private stretch of beach). Not really a problem, just a little confusing, and their online and in-room information should be updated. I took the advice to go to the Festival and was very pleased - the food is good, the service is terrific and the sun loungers are a very reasonable 6 Euros per day.

The hotel itself doesn't have a restaurant although you can order light meals from mid-day until 9pm. The bar is open 24 hours for guests.

My only real quibble with this otherwise excellent hotel is the 12 Euro charge for breakfast. For a hotel of this caliber I would have expected a continental breakfast to be complimentary, and 12 Euros seems pretty steep. (Having said that, it's a reasonable spread - I treated myself on my final morning.) However, there's a supermarket over the road so you can always stock up on breakfast food there to eat in your room or on the beach.

Overall I had a very enjoyable, relaxing stay in this lovely hotel and would definitely be back.

Room Tip: Beautiful views from the balcony of sea-view rooms - but if traffic noise is an issue, choose mounta...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business during the monaco yacht show.
The hotel is very nice, very clean, modern and all round a great place to stay
It is located close to the Menton Garravan train station which is great for travelling into Monaco, 5.20 euros for a return ticket
The hotel is located very close to the many bars and restaurants that Menton has to offer and is directly opposite the seafront
I had a mountain view room which was very spacious, clean and well equipped (aircon, tea and coffee making facilities). The TV was excellent, i know this is not necessarily important but there is english channels (bbc one, bbc two and itv1) and in my experience this is very rare and was a welcome sight after a 14 hour day at work.
There was one particularly freindly young lad working on the bar, always pouring a beer for me as he saw me walking in at night.
Overall i would definitly recommend this hotel either for business or for a holiday in the south of france.
Good job everybody!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

4th stay in over 10 years and never disappoints. Comfortable beds in modern room with nice shower room off. Shower could have been more powerful though. Easy 10 minute walk into town for breakfast and dinner. Able to sit/lay round the pool without a problem. Didn't know you had to book off road parking though, but able to park in road.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
matlik, Owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thanks for the kind review, and I'm very glad we've kept up our standards!

Regarding paying for our car park - and to let all the readers know!: the hotel's car park has only 10 spaces - we'd love to have more! At the start of the year we changed our policy from "free parking - take a space if there's one available" to our current 10€ per night charge, reservable in advance. We did this because a number of our customers told us that, although they come by car, they never then used their cars while they were staying for fear of not having a space when they came back!.

It is strongly recommended to book a space in advance, as they do fill up very often. You can do this by calling the reception directly. For those who don't want to or if the car park is fully booked, there is plenty of free parking around the hotel, with July and August the only two months when finding place within 100 yards of the hotel can sometimes be tricky. The area is very safe: so far there have never been any incidents of theft or vandalism in the surrounding area.
Seattle
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Located at the edge of town closest to Italy, it is in a quiet yet convenient area. There is a supermarché across the street, the train station is close, and the botanical garden is around the corner

Staff is polite and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable with Cocteau art throughout

The things that prevent me from giving this hotel 5 stars are:

1) our mountain view room backed up on a high school and nearby athletic field.
2) limited seating at pool, and some guests who think seats are reserved (they are not) and leave for a few hours expecting their same seats
3) orange juice at the full breakfast is fresh squeezed, but the "continental" breakfast serves boxed orange juice
4) room wasn't cleaned until after 3 pm during our 6 night stay there

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prunella224
matlik, Owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Hello, and many thanks for the nice review. To give a quick response to the points you make:

1) The view from the back of the hotel does depend on which floor you are on. On the lower floors, you get the garden; on the upper floors, the mountain. In both cases, the hotellery school building is very present: it was built 3 years ago, after we delayed their project for a year forcing it to be more elegant (wooden cladding) and reducing its planned height by one floor. Its redeeming factor is that it makes the back of the hotel peacefully quiet!

2) I would love to be able to solve the issue of seating space around the pool! Despite the "pool rules" stating no reservation of loungers, it is difficult to police without customers getting angry... Any hints welcome for a good way to get round this tricky problem!

3) The express breakfast (5€: hot drink, 2 pastries, glass of juice) does indeed not feature freshly-squeezed juice, whereas the full buffet breakfast (12€) does. To include it in the Express breakfast, we would have had to put the price up, where the aim was to privide a cheap-and-quick option.

4) Particularly in the summer, when we are mostly full, it can take some time to get all the rooms done. If you put the "Please make my room" card on the door, we do our best to prioritse it. The hardest thing to juggle, however, is days when there are many departures and arrivals: guests need to leave their room by 11:00AM, and we need to get them ready by 2PM - On those days, if a room wasn't available for cleaning before 11AM, then it will usually only be done later in the afternoon. If you have a particular imperative, let the reception know and they will try to make sure you get attended to.

Best regards, Matthew Likierman
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel is really nice and the sea facing rooms are well designed and offer a comfy balcony. Location is perfect as you are litterally accross the street from the beach. We stayed one night to go enjoy a wonderful dinner at mirazur.

The staff is really the weak part though to the point of being comical in their amateurism... Here is a best off of our 24 hours there:

- the employees at the reception are always on the phone for personal calls. They keep repeating they have to go because they have guest waiting but never do. We heard about cousins and boyfriends and other things like this in both french and italian while waiting. The night we were going to Mirazur, we wanted to ask for directions but after 2 minutes of this "I have to go" game, we took the brochure and left. The person apologized and then resumed her call
- except the cleaning staff, I don't recall having seen a smile in 24 hours and most employees seem to believe guest owe them for doing their job
- we had a lot of luggages cause we are travelling with 2 kids for 3 weeks accross Europe. I asked for help with the luggages upon checkout. After 30mn waiting and asking twice, I started to move the suitcases myself walking in front of the reception for a good 20 minutes. When I went to do the checkout, the lady asked me candidly how things had gone and acted surprised when I indicated that the help never showed up... How could she not have noticed me moving things around in front of her nose for 20 minutes is a mystery
- the best for the end... I ordered breakfast room service for the 4 of us... The guy on the line told me he needed to find a pen and then went on for 3 minutes talking to his colleague about a lot of things while I was waiting... then stopped me when I was placing my order complaining that he was alone and probably could not deliever all this in one trip... all this being 2 continentals and one omelette with a bottle of water :-) He was right though... they had to do it in 2 trips as they first forgot the coffee

So all in all, one of the cutest hotels with a beautiful location staffed with the most amateur crew I have ever seen...

Room Tip: get one facing the sea... if you decide to go of course...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BlueTrain
matlik, Owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Please do accept my sincerest apologies for the shortcomings in the service that you received from some of our staff during your stay: they clearly fall below what I expect of our employees, and are hopefully atypical of what our guests usually experience. The 14th July is probably our busiest weekend of the year (or 2nd busiest after the 15th August!), but I realise it's no excuse for letting our standards slip.

As a father of 2 small children myself, I know how difficult it can be to travel with kids, and things like the luggage issue you experienced really don't make things any easier! I can promise you is that I will do my best to rectify things for future guests.
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We really enjoyed our 3 days spent at this hotel. The rooms are very modern and comfortable. The staff extremely helpful. We used the hotel car park which costs E10 per day . The pool area was rather small but enough room for those who wanted to sunbath. My husband really enjoyed the icecream parlour located down at the beach. Delicious! We were on the second floor with a sea view but would recommend to try to have a room as high as possible as you get a better view of the sea. We shall certainly return if we are ever in Menton again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view as high as possible for a better view of the sea and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple