“almost OK room”

Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Menton
Fiesch in Valais, Switzerland
“almost OK room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

Single-double room is big enough for one but way not spacious enough for two. Bottom looks unclean. The whole hotel seems old. Bathroom is clean. Road just in front is way too noisy (even with double glass). It is located too far from Menton center to ask such a price during low season. Internet is a joke. Forget it in your room. It only works (slowly) in the reception. Breakfast was pretty good (although expresso was horrible). Minibar has out-of-date products. Sea-side view looks good, especially in the morning.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

This hotel is pretty good located, and we choose a room with seaview and balcony, and that is to recomend. The beach is just in front of the hotel, only a busy street between, but the hotel has installed soundproof windows so no worry. The hotel is in bad need of a renovation, the bathroom is quite worn down and the worst part is the bed - only about 150cm wide for a double...
The room had minibar, AC and balcony which rises the rate so we can recommend it mainly for the location.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

I had stayed at this hotel in the 1980's and in 1995 and always found it to be wonderful - great location, good price, nice staff. I stayed there with my mother in Nov. 2005 and had a rather frightening experience. The sliding door in our 3rd floor room facing the ocean would not close properly when we tried to lock up before going to sleep. I woke up around 4am to find a man standing at the end of my bed and thankfully I must have scared him, because off he went through the sliding doors and hopped off our balconey. When I turned on the lights, I discovered my purse was gone. I went downstairs and told the desk clerk what happened - he didn't seem to understand - and walked outside to underneath our room's balconey, where I found my purse, minus my wallet. I went upstairs and made calls to cancel my credit cars while mom packed. Going downstairs at 7am to leavve, we found a new desk clerk, a woman. I told her what had happened and she didn't seem to care, but simply pointed to a 3x5 inch sign behind the desk that said "management not respnsible, etc." I was rather upset and told her I understood that we were partially to blame because the door wouldn't closely right, and she said "oh, but all our doors work."

At that point, I gave up - I have a hard time understanding why a hotel staff would be so uncaring when a crime was committed on their property. I will never go back and would caution others as well. There were not many guests at the hotel when we were there and that seemed to make us a target.
Now, whenever and wherever I travel, I always use the safe in my room, and have asked to change rooms if something isn't working. You really cannot be too careful, since some hotels just don't care.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Uncaring and indifferent staff
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank ParisTraveler58

Travellers are raving about these Menton hotels

ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2007

The breakfasts were poor. When we asked for something other than the bread and croissant, we got one yogurt each. Another day we got one orange each. At 7 euros per person for breakfast, it meant we paid 21 euros for 3 coffees, 3 orange juices and 3 yogurts.
The fitness room was in the basement and the lighting was so poor, you could have injured yourself getting there, never mind using the few pieces of equipment..
During our stay there was a water leak in the ceiling at reception and the bucket placed there was there for a few days before it was rectified.

Stayed July 2004
2 Thank bethmoff
sheffield england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2006

Le Dauphin is right on the sea front.
Ask for a room with sea view and balcony.
Spotlessly clean throughout.
Excellent rooms with air con and very effective lightproof shutters.
Very helpful staff speak excellent English and many other languages.
Price very reasonable - 105 Euros for a double including breakfast

2 Thank saxville
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2005

Le Dauphin is situated right on the beach in Menton on the French Riviera. There is easy parking outside the hotel or in the small car park next door to the hotel - a rare thing in these parts! The hotel is a little dated, with the rooms and bathrooms requiring a make over in the near future, but they are homely, comfortable and clean. We had a double room overlooking the sea with a lovely balcony and a mini bar in the room. The TV provided CNN for those who like to catch up on the news while away. The rooms are of an average size and the staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is well located for both walking in to the town or exploring the southern coastal regions of France and Italy. We had a lovely walk on the beach before breakfast. The breakfast is of the usual coffee and croissants continental style which was lovely in the sun. The area is generally expensive as this is the South of France but the hotel provides accommodation at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2005
12 Thank cosmos328is
Rochford, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2003

This is a great little family run hotel right on the sea front with easy parking next to it which is a plus in this area of France. The hotel is clean and bright and modern and the family are friendly and helpful. We used it as a base for our honeymoon exploring the South of France and bits of Italy. Perfect position for both. We'll be back for our anniversary.

17 Thank Janette H