“Wow! What a place!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wingham, Australia
“Wow! What a place!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We can't believe this place. Magnificent new apartment fully renovated, good facilities but best of all location. Just a short bus ride to Cannes and isn't that a fantastic place as well as 10 minutes to Grasse the perfume capital not to mention the old Mougins just a brisk walk up the hill from the resort. If you like art this is the place to visit. Visit the Picasso photo museum! Insightful!
The staff are great and can't do enough for you as well as plenty of English spoken by staff. We have almost had our own personal guide Susana, employed by the resort , who has taken us on two excursions which has been exceptional. This is my favourite spot in France so far.... Not to mention the weather is also perfect.

Room Tip: Any renovated room is good but I imagine all rooms will meet your approval.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Anthony2004
Diamond R, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We are reading your comments with an absolute pleasure, thank you! We are looking forward to your next visit!

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stopped at Le Club Mougins for a week a couple of weeks ago in a 1 bedroom apartment. I had my reservations as we booked last year through Diamond Resorts and in the meantime they had decided to do some renovations and at one point we thought we were going to have to stay elsewhere. I had been informed that the place would not be fully open until a few weeks after our stay so was expecting a bit of a building site. This couldn't have been further from the truth. Although the work was still being done, this did not effect our stay at all. In fact apart from a few workmen walking past our apartment occasionally we wouldn't really have known anything was happening.

We arrived a little early, quite a while before check in time, on the first day and asked the receptionist if we could leave our bags so we could have a look around Mougins. Next minute she's telephoning to see if the room was ready and came back and informed us we could go straight in. This was a welcomed relief as we had had a long journey to get there and it was really hot. She also gave us lots of information about the resort, the buses, supermarket etc.

The room itself was lovely and clean and everything was new. It had everything we needed, and more, for a very relaxing stay.

All the staff were so helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough to help which was really appreciated.

A few minutes walk from the hotel there's a reasonable sized Carrefour and a lovely bakery where we got our fresh croissants for breakfast every morning.

We decided not to hire a car so made use of the public transport. There is a regular bus that leaves from a stop about 5 minutes walk away from the hotel that goes about every 20 minutes into Cannes one way and Grasse the other. It takes about half an hour to get to Cannes and from there you can take the train to places such as Monaco and Nice so you don't really need a car if you're not planning on travelling too far away.

We ate in the onsite restaurant 1 of the evenings and had a lovely meal. There's not loads of choice on the menu but the food was lovely and not too expensive.

Overall, loved Le Club Mougins and hope to be able to go back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank cj67_17
Diamond R, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
We strive to ensure that all our guests feel welcome and well looked after and we are pleased to read that you were no exception and that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. We truly hope that this is not the last time we had the pleasure of welcoming you. Thank you for sharing your experience and your kind comments with us and your fellow travellers!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed here thanks to Vacation Quest (Global Connections), a sort of time share group. I had wanted to stay in Paris, but there wasn't a condo available there when I was planning my trip. I am so glad that I went to Mougins. First of all, it was only my 10-year old son and me. We got a clean, newly renovated, beautiful 1-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath apartment. The kitchen was great. With every essential cooking item and lots of dishes. 4-burner smooth top stove, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher, fridge and a freezer that actually keeps ice cream frozen and microwave....oh and air conditioning! A/C is a huge deal. I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice the apartment was, knowing that it was undergoing renovations. It was not dusty at all. But rewind 5 minutes to our check in: it was fast and the woman was knowledgeable, professional, helpful and genuinely nice. I forget her name, unfortunately. We pulled up to our parking lot, opened the car doors and smelled the most pungent flower I have ever smelled in France. Even if my condo isn't there next time, I'm going to park there. Even my son appreciated the smell. Though the rental car company probably didn't appreciate the flowers all over the exterior when I retuned it. The resort has a gate that is locked at night, and opens by buzzing the front desk, so that's a nice touch of security.

The pool is small, but nice. And it learned that even older women go topless in France ;) my son was shocked and uncomfortable (10-year old American boy), so we left. Then he was afraid to go to the beach lest there be more topless women! There is a nice tennis court and even a table tennis, and the activities coordinator, Susana, invited My son to a round of tennis, before taking us up the hill to see Vieux Mougins, the original town before expansion.

The restaurant Bistro 21 is very good and the menu for children is only 8€. Very reasonable. The mussels were delicious (June), the waiter very nice and the chef also was very amicable. We were there during World Cup games, so they had the games on the TV as well as on a big screen with a projector. It was a lot of fun to,watch the games with others, esp the France games.

The apartment was cleaned 3x in our 7-day stay, the perfect amount IMO. They give a few coffee filters to start you off, then you need to get your own. I just rinsed them and reused them twice, then used paper towels :) the main bed was very comfortable, however, the pull out sofa bed was awful. So I would not recommend 4 people stay unless 2 are young children who don't mind a bed like that. My friend came from Geneva and stayed two nights and said the springs were like a massage :) lol we put the comforter down and it was a bit better.

Club Mougins is a nice resort and I will definitely return there and recommend it to tourists, especially Americans because of the English-speaking staff who know how to provide good customer service. Though you may be annoyed at the price of wi-fi on the resort. Hopefully they will soon offer free wi-fi, as most other hotels do. It was 50€ for the week(!!!!) so we did 3 days for 25€.

Also, I fell in love with the area of Mougins and Cannes. You need to rent a car btw, the bus would be a pain in the butt around there, and there are so many cool towns in the area that require a car. I have lived in Paris 2 years and return there whenever possible, but Cannes and Mougins are...still French (duh) minus the big city rudeness, dirt and speed. In Mougins, the drivers are polite and even wave, just like in Hawaii, where I'm from, to say thank you for letting them pull out, etc. The bakery in downtown Mougins is reallllllllly good, there is a big carrefour for groceries and again, friendly staff.

My son and I keep reminiscing our week at Club Mougins and can't wait to return. We spent almost 4 weeks in France (the rest in Paris), but he mainly talks about returning to Mougins, not Paris (except for Parc Asterix).

Room Tip: I'm not sure how rooms are chosen. If you need two comfortable np beds, book a 2-room suite if t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Heather B
Diamond R, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments, we are overwhelmed to read of your great stay with us.
We would like to take the time to thank you for your feedback on our resort team, it is great for us to know that we were able to make your stay with us enjoyable!
We are happy to read that you found your apartment to your liking and enjoyed visiting round the local area of our resort!
It is lovely to receive such wonderful feedback and we hope you will return and visit us again soon.
Resort manager
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

For our first visit to France we could not have made such a wonderful place, Le Club Mougins, as a first stay. We were made really welcome by all the staff. Especially we have to mention the Reception staff who always greeted us with a smile and a cheery welcome. And how can we possibly forget Susannah. Susannah is such breath of fresh air in the holiday industry. She positively made our holiday, even during the dark days of Brazil's defeat in the World Cup!!! Susannah's walks, particuarly to the island, were a very enjoyable day out. We are sorry, Susannah we could not actually make your walk up to the village, but we are already in training for next year. Perhaps it was the wonderful food served by Cedric and his team which weighed us down?
Our 'Room 101', although unrenovated, was very comfortable and had everything we needed.
We must go back next year as we have so much we need to see and do. Thank you all

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RonnieandNancy
Diamond R, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
We are thrilled with your comments, we are glad to read that you had a lovely stay with us.
It is great for us to read that our staff provided you with a fantastic service.
We hope to see you again soon.
Resort manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We are timeshare owners and booked through Diamond Resorts International. We had 2 units for 2 weeks. One was a one-bedroom unit with a partial kitchen and the other was a two-bedroom unit with a full kitchen. We were the first family to stay in the two-bedroom unit since it had been renovated and remodelled. The furnishings and appliances were very nice and comfortable. The only exceptions were the pull-out sofa beds, which were average to uncomfortable. The bedrooms were pleasantly much larger than we expected in Europe. We spent a lot of time on the spacious balconies, enjoying the quiet, fresh air and the nicely landscaped grounds. There was a beautiful planting of jasmine right outside our unit that was in bloom during our stay. A wonderful bouquet greeted our noses everytime we stepped out the door. The units were very clean, and the housekeeping staff did a good job of keeping up with our crew. Everything was in working order when we arrived. We did have a few small problems during the two weeks, and the staff attended to the problems immediately. The entire staff was friendly and made us feel welcomed. Nadia and the whole reception staff greeted us with friendly "bon jours" all the time, and they were so willing to share their knowledge of the local area and make suggestions for places to go and things to do. Susana, the Activities Director, was wonderful and so much fun to be around; she had us laughing a lot! Chef Cedric is awesome! He came in on his nights off to serve us liquid refreshments during the World Cup parties (so sorry France did not make it to the end). We had purchased some fresh truffles, and on our last evening in Mougins, Chef Cedric prepared a very special truffle dinner for our family. Chef Cedric and the resort's restaurant, Bistro 21, are the best gourmet value in all of Mougins! If you are in the area, you do not want to miss it (I think they are closed Tuesday and Wednesday evenings). I think that the resort director, Richard, has assembled the best staff of all of the Diamond Resorts International facilities we have visited in the last 15 years. The resort itself is nestled in the hillside of Mougins, in a residential area, so it is quiet. It is only a 5-minute walk into town to the boulangerie. The charming medieval village is also within (uphill) walking distance, and there are several high-quality museums, restaurants, galleries, vistas and shopping opportunities there. Cannes and Grasse are each a 15-miinute drive from the resort; Nice is about 30 minutes with no traffic. There are public buses to connect you to wherever you want to go, though we had a rental car,for which there was plenty of parking at the resort. It was a great location for our family. The resort had several well-kept amenities for physical activity: a tennis court, swimming pool, fitness center, mini-golf, and an outdoor ping-pong court. We did take part in some of the many activities Susana had planned, and enjoyed them very much. The only reason I am giving Le Club Mougins a score of 4 instead of 5, is that the resort is still in the midst of renovating and remodelling, and so there are construction workers and materials on the grounds during the day. I think the work is very close to being done, and I am confident that once the construction work is finished, Le Club Mougins will earn a score of 5. I give the staff a score of 5 right now, without hesitation! I hope that we have a chance to return to Le Club Mougins within the next few years. A bientot!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank HoustonBarb
Diamond R, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much for your extensive comments, we are very pleased with the standard of our newly refurbished apartments and we are glad that you appear to share this opinion. We will of course pass your commendation to the resort and restaurant teams. Thank you for sharing your location tips, we are certain these will be appreciated by your fellow travellers. Please do come back to stay with us as we are looking towards the next opportunity to welcome you here at Le Club Mougins

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Le Club Mougins is undergoing renovations to most of the apartment units, so only one block of rooms were open during our stay, and the pool was closed. We knew this ahead of time and it did not affect us. We had a clean 1 BR apartment that was outfitted nicely with all of the amenities described in other reviews, although we would have liked a full oven instead of just a microwave. The complimentary items were nice to have, but a supermarket is less than a 10 minute walk away for all your grocery needs. The staff were very welcoming and helpful and the Bistro 21 restaurant onsite is excellent (I provided my review on it in the Restaurants section).
We did not rent a car during our stay, relying on the buses and TER train to get around. Getting the train in Mouans-Sartoux was easy once we found out the bus schedules, and we used the TER to visit Cannes, Grasse and Antibes. We also enjoyed the old Mougins village on top of the hill. We walked up there the first visit and it was quite a steep climb. The second time we took a 5 minute bus ride for only €3. Best €3 I ever spent.
I would not hesitate to come back to this resort, after they have completed the reno.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank The_Mystic
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
We are pleased to read that although you have encountered some inconvenience due to the on-going refurbishment, you had an otherwise pleasant and relaxing stay and made the most of your visit to the area. Thank you for the travel tips you shared with our potential future guests and we are looking forward to seeing you again!

Kind regards
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 November 2013

After a couples trip to Paris, I traveled solo to the south of France to stay for a week at Le Club Mougins. My condo was on two floors with a living room, kitchen, balcony and bathroom downstairs and a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The view from the balcony was pretty cool - looking down the mountain (hill?) and over the dining court. The room wasn't fancy but was cute and perfect for my needs. The kitchen was small but was well-equipped (including the all-important corkscrew).

On my first night, I ate a fabulous dinner onsite. There were tables inside and outside. Since the weather was beautiful, I chose the table under the stars. The food and wine was delicious. After dinner, I moved to a little bar area by the kitchen and ended up spending the rest of that night getting to know the funny and friendly chef, Cedric, as well as some of the awesome guests that were also staying there. Throughout the stay, I visited the restaurant a number of times and was never disappointed in the food or the people.

All but one of the employees that I met were friendly and extremely helpful. I lost my adapter and one of the counter people let me borrow theirs. It rained one day when there was a tour planned for old-town Mougins. I was the only one who showed up but the entertainment director was more than happy to take me on the tour.

The pool was nothing special but it was fine for laying out and taking a dip. The resort was in a quiet pseudo-residential area but very close to the bus stop (10 minutes to Cannes), the bakery, the grocery store, the ATM, and old-town Mougins. One day, when the bus employees were on strike and the weather kept changing, I ended up going to the grocery store for food and wine, hanging out at the pool, and enjoying a good book. Throughout the day, I snacked on grapes, olives, cheeses, and pate with a fresh baguette. That night I made ravioli in a butter/cream/parmesan (alfredo) sauce with proscuitto and mushrooms. The furniture on the balcony is plastic, but I'd brought a red/white checked tablecloth and had the lights from the outdoor dining area so the ambience was just right.

Old-town Mougins is not far but the walk uphill was VERY steep. Even though I read this in other reviews, don't underestimate it! I enjoyed the studios and little shops and ate at one of the fancy restaurants in town, but you might consider getting reservations to make sure you can get in the restaurant of your choice.

I didn't have a car, so the bus service to Cannes and train service from Cannes was essential. Both bus and train service can be interrupted by strikes with virtually no notice, so if you're relying on public transportation, plan to do the most important things first in case you have to reschedule. If you're comfortable renting a car in the area, you'll have more options / flexibility.

I did a Vespa tour that I'll review later. I mention this because Phillipe came to Le Club Mougins with our Vespas. The tour lasted about 4 hours and ended up back at the hotel. I'd never been on a Vespa before. Although there were a couple white-knuckle moments (one when I found myself one of 4 vehicles across on a two-lane country curvy road), it was really fun. If I'd been a more experienced Vespa driver, I might have decided to rent the Vespa for the rest of my trip as it would be easy to park.

I took one of the half day tours from the hotel that went to Eze and Monaco (and one of the perfumeries). I would NOT recommend that tour as it was extremely rushed and there wasn't enough time to properly enjoy either Eze or Monaco.

Bottom line, if you don't mind the location / transportation issues and you're not looking for a "luxury resort", this might be a great option. Tell Cedric "hi" for me! Brenda from Austin, TX

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank luvsthewater
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review, we are delighted to read that you were impressed with the quality of service and accommodation we offer and we are especially grateful to you for your lovely comments referring to our team - it is very important to us to ensure that all our guests have a lovely and relaxing stay and so we are happy that you were not disappointed! Please come back soon!