“Ok but not great”

L'Auberge de Theo
Ranked #199 of 1,962 Restaurants in Nice
Price range: US$30 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here
Food is average and not very good value for money
Some dishes are very good then others not to the same standard
Lack of consistency

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We visited this restaurant as part of a large lunchtime group booking and I never have high expectations when there are a lot of us - particularly as my partner is vegetarian.

We were delighted! The food was served to all of us promptly, it was excellent and very good quality ingredients. My partner was identified and received his specially prepared antipasto at the same time as the rest of us which is highly commendable. It usually needs one or other of us to go searching for his meal and he gets it when the rest of us have finished eating! Compared to a very highly rated Nice hotel, both the food and service were far better - besides which the wine provision was very generous. Members of our group were standing up chatting to each other and certainly in the way of the staff trying to serve both our group and other customers but they weaved round 'us' in a very magnanimous and friendly way. I don't know if it was cheap by comparison with other places because I paid an inclusive price for all the meals and wine we had in Nice but I know which one I enjoyed the most.

It is unusual for both my partner and me to be totally satisfied with a place but, on this occasion, we have nothing but praise for every aspect of L'Auberge de Theo. I would not hesitate to go if and when we are in Nice again.

4  Thank EgyptophileEngland
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Just up the road from where we are staying is the above restaurant, do go ,it is Italian food but with a difference not your usual pre cooked everything, we ordered spaghetti marinara ( seafood to our American friends) and it was spectacular, Served from special serving plates at the table and my Wife's Gambas was flambe'd also at the table, just so theatrical, It was enough to feed 4 people but cost only Euro 16.50 and Euro 28 for the prawns, fantastic in this very upmarket restaurant

1  Thank DerekCC_12
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is a long established adress in the hills of Nice (Cimiez), far away from the tourist traps near the sea. The interior is pleasant, although a litte "kitsch". The restaurant is recommended by several guides but they must have had a bad day when I was there. Starter was acceptable (but not cheap), my main course was a grilled fish platter (€ 24) with 3 choices of fish, 2 of them overcooked and of doubtfull quality and strangely served with a sweet pistachio sauce! The promised "fruit de mer" with my wifes pasta were just some mussels and a little of cut-down fish. This was not worth any money, let alone the 110 Euro bill for 2 x 2 courses and less than average wine. Maybe the pizza is better, at least it looked not bad. Service was okay.

My overall "average" rating was given with the pizza in mind and reflects my disbelief that they would haven been getting away that all these years.

2  Thank tplus
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This place is known locally as "good food". However it is not so much the case.
The service is low quality and they accept dogs...

1  Thank diopergueto