“A good place to eat traditional provencale food”
Review of L'Auberge de Theo

L'Auberge de Theo
Ranked #195 of 1,907 Restaurants in Nice
Price range: US$28 - US$39
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Nice
“A good place to eat traditional provencale food”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

It's a bit of an institution, in the 'posh' part of Nice - Cimiez. This is where the old money goes to eat. So the food's good. Surprisingly, it's not bad value.
It would be prudent to reserve at busy time, like Saturday night.
The location is nothing special, and it can be hard to park, but of course nothing like the madness that is central Nice. The interior is rather forced, with the old farm implements and provencale tablecloths not quite making the ambiance "cosy". But it's far from being a canteen, and the loud Nicois at every table keep things entertaining. Perhaps not the best for a romantic evening, but if you're looking for a decent place to eat, it's a fair choice.
The service is OK, (for France), with a personal touch.
What about the food and wine? Try whatever you like on the menu, it's all good to very good, and the wine list is reasonable.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Bearhouse

Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Absolutely Extraordinary”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I ate here many years ago and swore it was the best pasta I had ever had. Years later I returned to Nice, to stay with my aunt, she lives just up the street. Little did I realize this was the restaurant her and my uncle would go to at least once a week. During my stay I ate here countless times, I've tried many things on the menu, every dish, delicious! Maybe I'm a little bias because my family is very well acquainted with the owners and they made me feel like royalty when I was there. Though I payed attention they treated all their guest with sincere hospitality and respect. Everyone always seemed to be enjoying themselves. Oh, and it' a birthday dinner/lunch? No problem, they sure do give an extra spark to those birthdays, with just the right kind of all eyes on you and nothing but smiles moment.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Megan B
Sedona, Arizona
“Lovely Italiano in Nissa”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I had an elderly relative to take to lunch while visiting family here in the beautiful city of Nice (Nissa to the locals). Looking online for a quiet spot up above the hill-top area of Cimiez (musees Chagal, Matisse, Arenes romaines...) we found this 3 star charmer that fit our needs perfectly. Set into a hillside (don't come here for the view but rather the food) above the Baie des Anges, the good-size dining room has comfortable tables, cloth napkins and all, and features northern Italian and Nicois fare. The 18Euro lunch menu was just right for us, featuring tempura-fried zucchini flowers, a chicken scaloppini and unique potato fries that were light and crisp yet not greasy. The "house rose" wine in a pitcher was cold, fruity and tasty AND they brought ice cubes for the water - not all French places will do this so nicely and quickly... The ice cream or cannelloni desserts were also good quality. We did reserve but on a week-day it doesn't seem required. They do have Air conditioning but it was not icy cold which we preferred. All in all, come here for a quiet, authentic lunch a l'Italiano, served beautifully and politely in style above the hustle and bustle of the downtown of what is today France's fifth largest city. Viva Nissa!

• Visited August 2013
“Ok but not great”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here
Food is average and not very good value for money
Some dishes are very good then others not to the same standard
Lack of consistency

• Visited September 2012
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We visited this restaurant as part of a large lunchtime group booking and I never have high expectations when there are a lot of us - particularly as my partner is vegetarian.

We were delighted! The food was served to all of us promptly, it was excellent and very good quality ingredients. My partner was identified and received his specially prepared antipasto at the same time as the rest of us which is highly commendable. It usually needs one or other of us to go searching for his meal and he gets it when the rest of us have finished eating! Compared to a very highly rated Nice hotel, both the food and service were far better - besides which the wine provision was very generous. Members of our group were standing up chatting to each other and certainly in the way of the staff trying to serve both our group and other customers but they weaved round 'us' in a very magnanimous and friendly way. I don't know if it was cheap by comparison with other places because I paid an inclusive price for all the meals and wine we had in Nice but I know which one I enjoyed the most.

It is unusual for both my partner and me to be totally satisfied with a place but, on this occasion, we have nothing but praise for every aspect of L'Auberge de Theo. I would not hesitate to go if and when we are in Nice again.

• Visited September 2012