“Authentic and friendly, a gemstone hidden amongst touristical offerings”
Review of Lu fran calin

Lu fran calin
Ranked #111 of 1,924 Restaurants in Nice
Price range: US$31 - US$39
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town / Vieux Nice
Vienna
“Authentic and friendly, a gemstone hidden amongst touristical offerings”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

It took me considerable time to find a nice and locally rooted restaurant that night in Nice as there are many tourist traps in the old town. I was fortunate to to find a free table (although in the bar area) - the place was packed and obviously, I was the only foreigner. Service was charming, the waitress tried her English on me, I tried my French and we came along perfectly. Although reluctant to tripe (the plat du jour), she persuaded me plus offering a guarantee (if I happened to be unhappy with my choice, I could send it back and pick something else). Then complimentary olives (these tiny, extremly tasty olives from around Nice) and when I mentioned how fine they tasted, a second cup was put on my table. Concerning the wone, I picked the house wine (rosé) that didn't come i a carrafe or pichet but in a 0,375 l bottle (at 9 Eur rather reasonable for a French restaurant these days). During my stay quite a number of locals popped in and had to be turned away due to a lack of tables (reservation recommended). The plat du jour was tasty and very good, service impeccable and with esprit, next time in Nice I will be back!

• Visited December 2013

Perth, Australia
“Delicious food, weird/annoying service”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We decided to have a meal in this restaurant after we saw a couple eating a beef dish in the outdoor seating area, looked quite good.The place was very busy, mixed with locals and foreigners. Getting a table outdoors wasn't a problem, we were lucky to have the last one available. The outdoors area is very lovely, the old town is just beautiful.

All of us ordered the braised beef dish.We received the usual complimentary cut up baguette and a jug of water with wine glass each to drink from. A bit later we finally made up our mind on what bottle of wine to order, and that's when things turned weird. The wine bottle came out already opened! In the last thousand or so times I've been to restaurants, this has never happened to me before, waiters should always open the bottle at the table. To top it off, the waiter said that they have run out of glasses, so we will have to alternate between the water and the wine. I've asked if we can have any other glasses, a beer glass, or anything else for the water perhaps, he said they had nothing. So we had to tip the water out and drink the wine... to be honest we were very very close to just getting up and leaving this place, as it was all ridiculous, but then the meals arrived. And my god, the braised beef was just delicious!!! The meal saved the day. I'd happily go back just for that meal. I would have given it five stars if not for the service, or 1 star if not for the food... In my case four stars, the waiters were still friendly, and maybe they had a massive breakage of glasses shortly before we arrived, who knows...

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic & Rustic Nicoise Cuisine”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

After a few nights in Nice, suffering from food malaise due of a surfeit of bread and a deficit of vegetables, the meal we enjoyed at Lu Fran Calin was a welcome respite.

We ordered the highly recommended degustation platter of local Nicoise nibbles - all vegetarian - along with a superb organic red wine from Provence. For my main I had the best, heartiest Aubergine Parmigiana of my life and my husband enjoyed a slow cooked beef dish. The portions were huge and the service was so friendly, informative and attentive, despite a full house.

The atmosphere is exactly what you would expect of Provençal French restaurants, set within a mustard & terracotta coloured square and you are serenaded by regular intervals of accordion players and other musicians.

I think we were extremely lucky to get a table without a booking, so would recommend booking in advance.

Visited October 2013
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Standard Pasta Restaurant”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Of four nights in Nice this restaurant ranked fourth. There wasn't anything wrong with the restaurant but it lacked in character and quality when compared to the other places we ate at.
Ravioli was good and the Lasagne was fine. Waiter was friendly and efficient.
If you want a safe pasta place then you could do worse - but if you want something a bit more interesting and better quality - walk to the other side of the square and try Le Bouchon Provencale or Chez Juliette.

• Visited October 2013
London
“Authentic local food”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Authentic local food, generous portion sizes. Very friendly staff and service, with a lively atmosphere. Centrally located in the old town. (Visited 13 September)

Visited September 2013