“Worst hotel during 5 weeks of travel”
Review of Hostel Smith Beach

Hostel Smith Beach
Ranked #5 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Nice
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I travelled with my two sons and booked Hostel Smith due to the "family room". The family room is a couple of blocks from the main hostel and you are completely on your own. The room is old, shabby, sheets and bedding are from the 70s decade, you will not sleep well because the room is either stiflingly hot (with the windows closed) or exceptionally noisy with the partiers in the streets and at the bars (windows open). My son even slept on a pile of clothes on the floor because the tile was cool. The bathroom has been recently renovated but fixed so that you can't shut the door if you are showering! Only 2 benefits: location in Old Nice is convenient and there was a tiny washing machine in the room (although it leaked). During 5 weeks of travel, this was the only lodging disappointment.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank wahoowa1213

Reviewed 6 April 2013

I've been staying at Hostel Smith. The stay here is really nice and the staff are great.

Upon arriving I was greeted very warmly from the very first staff member I met Frank. He explained everything I had available and provided me with the password for the free internet access via my laptop or the hostel available laptops. He also explained in great detail all the nearby attractions in Nice, Monaco and Cannes.

Entering the shared room, it was clean and calm and other guests were very friendly and it was a great way to meet new people. The bathroom was also spacious and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well.

With the very low prices I was also pleasantly surprised to find breakfast was also included in the price. Also you have 24 hour access to the hostel with a provided key with a small deposit.

These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hostel. They made me feel at home and were very helpful with any questions I had.

Louis

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Planned to stay 2 or 3 nights. Ended spending over a week here!
Very relaxed and friendly place.
Great management, friendly staff, good location, awesome price!
It's not 5-star amenities, but look what you pay!
People of all ages here and very much like a 'family' atmosphere - just join the conversation...!
Owner is very helpful in giving directions, advise and tips on saving money and visiting nearby towns (Cannes, Antibes, St. Tropez and Monaco for 1€!) - even Italy!!!
Those who wrote bad comments would even find fault at a 5* hotel - ignore them...

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank One-Mad-Tourist
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed at this hostel for 5 nights in Febuary, everyone that works and stays there is very friendly, there are a mix of all ages, from every nationality you could imagine, the location is perfect, just down the end of the street is the beach and the promenade, bars restaurants and shops are on the doorstep.

I have traveled all over Europe and never felt like writing a review before as normally everything that needs to be said about a place has already been said, numerous times, but with hostel smith this is not the case as a lot of the reviews are bad and written a long time ago before the renovations. So if your laid back about the little things in life, touring europe on a shoe string budget and want to meet some really cool people book here. If your looking for luxuary try the Hilton.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank celavie_13
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We had booked a private room with what was advertised as private bathroom and kitchen .when we arrived we were told that we had not booked it.we could if we like go else where.knowing there was nothing available in nice old town in the middle of summer we decided to give it a try.the room was spartan and we shared it with two very large hot water services which kicked into action when the only two showers were being used .(one of these bathrooms was closed so the 50 odd people on the floor used the one.)
In the middle of summer nice is a hot place without airconditioning.we did have a very large window where only noise from the busy street and not air got through.the window even had a couple of broken panes as well as not being able to close at all.
The hole hostel was basic .electrical wires popped out of the walls in several places.the main kitchen was disgustingly dirty and tiny.the free wifi only worked near the office. There was a small kitchen on the floor we were on which was rented out as floor space by travellers .the pictures on the website are truly a lie,they make the whole place look larger than what it is.the dorms were crowded with bunk beds.we could not help but think in an emergency no one would get out.
After two very very sleepless nights due to heat ,smell and noise we checked out never to return .i would hate my children staying in such a place......look around for something else.there are places close to the old town.DONT BOOK THIS HOSTEL

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank TimFromAustralia3220
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The only redeeming quality this place has is that it's close to everything. Other than that, it sucks. The beds are horrible, the bathrooms are worse. Security is lax to say the least and it's hot. They have no air conditioning, so you have the sleep with the window open. If you have the window open, you will not be able to sleep due to all the noise from the nearby bars.

Just look for something better. This place isn't worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Emma d
Reviewed 8 March 2013

As a hostel goes everything was supplied as expected. It's a really good price for what you get. Breakfast is toast and coffee which I was a little disappointed by. However this isn't so bad. The gentleman at reception is extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. All the service from the staff is friendly and enthusiastic. I lost my key. Luckily we found it. But before this he wasn't upset at the prospect of taking a drill to our locker to help is out. No drama or anything negative.

If you want to check out nice and aren't so bothered about the accommodation then this is the hostel for you.

• Stayed: March 2013