“Not the best Indian restaurant in Nice”
Review of Mother India

Mother India
Ranked #321 of 1,948 Restaurants in Nice
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We costed this restaurant after having a delicious meal at another Indian restaurant. (See review from us). However this restaurant was not as good. the onion bhaji wea tasteless and the prawn curry I ordered was not a patch on others. It was again lacking flavour and spice. There are better places to visit.

There are newer reviews for Mother India

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Visited this resteraunt twice now, once in 2011 when Interrailing, and again on returning to Nice in 2012 - one of the highlights of the resteraunts in the centre of Nice, tucked away down an alleyway, but once inside it is truely authentic and the food is spectacular - not overly expensive for Nice, about what you would expect, and superb service throughout, friendly and accomodating staff.

Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

A hidden gem, very affordable, lively vibe, of the 4 dishes I loved both of mine, veg samoosa & veg korma...some of the best I have tasted. My hubby loved his first & enjoyed the second (only reason for the 4 rating is he has had as good & possibly better & nan bread slighty overdone). Great options for vegetarians! Our waitress was lovely, nice sense of humour but run off her feet reason for 4 rating here is they have few waitrons. All in all def worth a visit!

Reviewed 20 September 2012

The food is excellent, but the service can be extremely slow and lame especially when the owner is not around. There seems to be a lack of waitors as well. The food is tasty and worth the price. The poppadums are over priced though. The setting is not too bad, yet very dark inside. They tend to put really loud bollywood songs which is terribly unplesant and makes it hard to hear what the other is saying. Last time, I had to ask to put the music down, which they did, but then, put it high again. This is something they need to look into. It might chase away clients who are looking for a quiet meal and not a circus vibe!. I would go back to enjoy the excellent food though. Unfortunately, the restaurant is only open for dinner. Closed for lunch.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

Tucked into a back street behind Cours Saleya, this was a real find - in fact we went there twice in our week in Nice, which was totally unexpected! There is no outdoor seating but the atmosphere is pleasant and the toilets were the nicest I saw in Nice!

In my partner's words, the lamb rogan josh is the best he's ever tasted with excellent quality and well cooked lamb, and not too greasy. They have a good selection of vegetarian dishes, and none of them were too oily or too bland. The service is very good - they have a limited staff but they are good at getting round their customers, although the restaurant wasn't full either night and its possible that they would struggle if it was. We didn't feel rushed, but also received our bill pretty quickly when we asked for it.

The price is very reasonable, especially for Nice - we paid under 50 euros for a two course meal, with naan, rice and beer, and vegetarian dishes are especially cheap. I would definitely recommend it and would return if I ever go back to Nice.