“Historical hotel”
Review of Hotel Negresco

Hotel Negresco
Ranked #17 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Your attitude to this hotel will depend on your room. If you are a lucky you will get an amazing room with wonderful view and good colour. If you are not you will have to use pink-green bathroom, old furnished room but also with amazing view. Reception was always polite and friendly, unfortunately i can not say the same about concierge service. You should visit Le Chantecler restaurant with 2 Michelin stars, they have an amazing vine list. Although we had paid for the hotel in January, when we arrived in August the reception reserved again a full cost. It is not a good news, actually when you pay 4000 euro.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I was disappointed when I arrived at the hotel. I had been travelling for close to 24 hours. Upon our arrival (with many bags) we were met by several employees who were keen to help us with the bags. This is not often the case with French hotels (the staff often pretend to be busy helping other custormers). We were greeted by a friendly young lady at check-in. She actually brought us to our room and had us inspect it. I loved this touch. It makes us feel like our satisfaction is truly desired. The furniture is old (elegant), but well maintained. The staff are exceedingly helfput. The breakfast was very good, but the guests take much too much and leave most of it on the plate. Which means when you go to get something, there may be none left. The employees however are helpful. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I LOVED this hotel!!!! Setting could not be more magical....across from the Promenade des Anglais. Our room had a view of this magical blvd. and I could not have been happier with waking up each morning to such a beautiful view.

Our bed was comfy,, our bathroom with its gold tub was quirky and beautiful. Only issue for showering was that the water leaked somewhat onto the floor. This was remedied by putting a towel between the shower glass and the tub. Sheets were crisp, toiletries were magnificent, room was spotless....just a wonderful room!

Art within the hotel was fantastic. Each floor was different and begged for exploration. Just loved the quirkiness of the art and moving around the hotel.

Food.....WONDERFUL, sumptious breakfasts available at the hotel. Pricey but fantastic quality...well worth the fee.

I'm a travel agent and had 18 clients traveling with me. EVERYONE loved this hotel. Even after 6 nights there, I wanted more. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank braunwynn
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Situated by the sea like a big beautiful cake, the Negresco is a perfect hotel.
We stayed in a big superior room with nice old furniture and wallpaper made of silk fabric, the bed was just beautiful with silk curtains and you could feel the atmosphere of romance.
The bathroom was roomy with both shower cabin and a bathtube.
Our room was situated by the elevator, but if you closed both doors to the room, it was silence.
The breakfast is wonderful with fresh orange or grapefruit juice, excellent croissants with the best strawberry jam. We also enjoyed the fruit salad and the beautiful berries, served on a special little plate. If you eat your breakfast outside you don´t hear the circus music.

Room Tip: If you choose a room with a seaview there will also be quite noisy. We had a room faceing the back o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank YlvaBromma_Sweden
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Beautiful hotel, great staff and everything you would expect from a historical property.

Spent a night at the Negresco and it was everthing I expected. However do not go if you are expecing a renovated, modern property, it is all but and it is what makes its "charm".

Would highly recommend if you want to try something different!

2  Thank opinions_matter
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed there 1 night and the dinner place we were recommended was simply horrible! - very odd to be referred to such trashy and over-priced rip off but such a supposedly fab hotel! The room was exceptionally nice as we were upgraded - thanks for that of course many times.... The service would be fine if not for 8 euro tiny bottles of water of which I had a few, assuming they would be your normal 2-4 euros - ouch - what a total and upper extortion!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank perfectionseeker
Direction7, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear guests,

We are glad that you were pleased with your room and very sorry that the restaurant that was recommended to you did not meet your expectations. We would appreciate if you could let us know when restaurant was, in order to avoid recommendation to future guests.
Please contact us at info@lenegresco.com

Best regards

Pierre Bord, General Manager

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Having read a lot of mixed reviews about this hotel on Tripadvisor (the one with the pink bathroom gave me grave cause for concern), it was with some trepidation that I took the decision to stay there. I was expecting a somewhat old fashioned hotel, but one that delivered a high quality product that perhaps is not to everyone’s tastes. Sadly, the hotel fell very far short of expectations, and lived up to all the stereotypes that one might associate with a somewhat staid, French hotel.

First impressions were good, with a dedicated team of voituriers who were very efficient in taking my car keys and unloading the vehicle. Check-in was friendly and efficient, and the receptionist showed me to the room (which had been upgraded to a seaview) and explained the usual things such as aircon etc. So far so good.

The room itself was on the top floor, and was classed as a refurbished room. Describing it as refurbished is really a misrepresentation (in fairness, I had not originally booked a refurbished room). Everything about the décor in the room was awful both in terms of style and quality. There was a mustard yellow carpet, silver anaglypta wallpaper (it was hard to tell if this was new or a 70s hangover), and a screen with a printed portrait of Marilyn Monroe. It was a little bizarre. Worse than that though were the new pieces of furniture, they were really poor quality and most probably made in China (some even had the sticky labels on that nobody had bothered to peel off). The hotel’s own magazine dedicates a page to their own furniture restoration workshop in their basement, yet instead of buying furniture that will become a future classic they bought very low quality pieces. Is this a big deal? In a five star hotel, especially one that places so much emphasis on its contents, one would expect new furniture to come from a leading European manufacturer; these pieces were flimsy and poorly finished. In fact the whole style of the room was a mess, the wallpaper and lights were deco and that was about it in terms of harmony, everything jarred.

In a refurbished room, one might reasonably expect the bathroom to be newly fitted, instead, save for a new loo and bidet (which leaked) everything was circa 1970. I actually liked the glittery bath, and basin, and follow the logic of preserving these pieces. However, it would have been far nicer to place them in a refurbished bathroom, and one that is fit for the 21st century. The shower arrangement was very Heath Robinson; I found it bizarre. Without getting too technical… the bath is over-mounted onto a marble surround with about an inch wide border around the entire bath so when you take a shower water collects in this area. Instead of addressing this with a redesign in the refurbishment, they have left the original solution which is a little plughole drilled into the marble surround, and a stop at each end to prevent water flowing onto the floor. There is also a nice plastic framed chart in the bathroom telling the guest how much they will be charged if they take any of the towels. Is this really necessary in a five star hotel? The hangers were also of the type to prevent people from taking them – an irritating waste of time. The toiletries, by Fragonard, were the best thing about the bathroom.

The most modern feature in the room was the light switches which are similar to a Lutron type product whereby there are various settings for dimming them etc. etc. In a small hotel room, where there are clearly many other things that need addressing, to spend most of the refurbishment budget on overly complex light switches is ludicrous and clearly indicates that whoever was/is in charge had no idea how to deliver value and improve the guest experience. Free wi-fi was available throughout the hotel and with good reception in all areas.

There was also a very small balcony with a door that did not lock, but merely shut to. Not an huge concern, but a five star hotel should be more security conscious. On a similar note, this is the only hotel that I have ever stayed in where you cannot lock the door from inside to make the room more secure. In fact the entrance door is only “locked” by virtue of there being no handle on the outside with which to open it. Not very secure at all! All relatively minor points perhaps, but it is attention to detail that distinguishes deluxe properties.

I shall return to the major problem I encountered with the room later.

Breakfast was served in the Rotonde restaurant which is fashioned as a carousel. Again it is a little bizarre (repetition of this word, but necessary and very apt for this hotel) but I found the moving horses, and merry-go-round coupled with the seaview quite pleasant. The buffet was good quality (some very (over) ripe wild strawberries were even on offer one morning) but very limited in choice. There were a few cereals, a few cheeses, either miniature baguettes or sliced bread, essentially only one or two of everything which is fine for a day or two, but can get boring. Once again, it was very old fashioned and nothing like the lavish buffets many hotels have nowadays. There were also a few hot items. The service was rather slow, there were about half a dozen waiters for a relatively small room in which everything was mainly self service. There were one or two who looked like trainees, whilst it is important for them to learn, as a diner it was very annoying for me to see one of them wandering around aimlessly and looking totally clueless as to what they should be doing. The other staff should be more actively managing them so that they are a useful addition to the team. As with the rest of the hotel, this area also requires some maintenance with worn and faded upholstery, and lots of chipped paintwork.

Now I will get on to the famous lobby. Other people have complained about being “bounced” out of the hotel if they came to look at the lobby. I agree with this policy, as I found tourists wandering around taking pictures (the hotel temporarily allows tourists in a narrow time window in celebration of its centenary) most annoying. This area itself whilst undeniably of architectural and artistic interest is virtually a museum. During my stay I never saw a guest sat under the dome enjoying the room. It really does feel like a museum, something to look at, but not really interact with. More use should be made of this area for guests, not just for launch parties and suchlike. I would suggest a tea salon, it has the perfect style, and seeing people using this area would bring some much needed life and warmth into an otherwise dead area.

The hotel does indeed house an impressive art collection, and some wonderful Yvaral carpets, but it does feel a bit lifeless, like a museum. In fact, a recent reviewer has it spot on describing it as being like a mausoleum. The hotel needs a lot of work, in pretty much every aspect. I suspect that the funds are not there, but it could do with a Savoy or Ritz Paris style long closure to upgrade the entire property. As it currently stands I do not believe it is a deluxe hotel fit for the 21st century. A hotel first and foremost needs to deliver on guest experience and services, being a great museum doesn’t translate to being a great hotel. Everything is tired, even the rose print carpet in the velvet upholstered lift is worn and in need of replacement. I am sorry to say it, but the world has moved on since the 1970s and people expect higher standards. By contrast, Eden Roc (also an historic property) has managed to retain its history and charm, but also incorporate modern services and facilities as well as the most friendly and wonderful staff. It is the polar opposite of what the Negresco currently is.

Back to the room… On my second night my neighbours decided to watch television right into the small hours. In most other hotels it would not be a problem, but the Negresco has an appalling lack of insulation between the rooms, and virtually every bedroom has a thin interconnecting door with its neighbour. I must emphasise that the television was on at normal volume levels so it was not my neighbours acting unreasonably. I called reception and they sent some people to investigate, but they concluded – and quite rightly - that as the volume level was reasonable they could not ask my neighbour to turn their television off. I could hear the television perfectly clearly in my room, despite the wall and connecting door the muting effect was minimal! The hotel was fully booked so I could not change room. I could only get to sleep when they decided to turn their television off. Needless to say, the next day I was exhausted. I am not someone who is particularly bothered by noise, I am not the type of guest who needs to be able to hear a pin drop. Indeed, the road noise – and I was on the top floor – may be a nuisance for other guests. It is not clear why they have not double glazed the front facing rooms; even secondary glazing would cut out a lot of the noise.

I spoke with the deputy general manager the next day who advised that they were full, but could show me another room later that day which had no connecting door. My day had been ruined already as I was tired, I did not need to spoil my plans further – I was in St Tropez for an entire day so could not have inspected the alternative room in time. The deputy general manager was not unsympathetic and offered to see if they could move the television away from the connecting door (which I believe they did). It appeared that this was not the first time that they had had a complaint resulting from poor sound insulation (from other rooms). On check-out my rate for that night had been reduced by 50%. Whilst this gesture is appreciated, I feel that they should have either waived the night or charged me the full rate. Either they think a sleepless night is acceptable or it isn’t; 50% is illogical. I discussed this with the deputy general manager and his response included pointing out that I had been upgraded to a seaview and then he chose to quote the usual rate for that room as if he was trying to make me feel grateful for my sleepless night in a seaview room. This was very arrogant and old fashioned. Customer service is key to ensuring that the guest leaves with a good impression despite having suffered an incident during their stay. I recently stayed in a deluxe property, and had arrived back to my room in the small hours and went to take a shower but found the water was only lukewarm, I called down and was told that they were having boiler issues. I had my shower, and didn’t think anymore about it. Upon check-out, the general manager made a point of coming over to speak to me, and advised that they’d waived the night as I hadn’t had full use of the room. I was overwhelmed, as this is above and beyond; I wasn’t really that inconvenienced and it hadn’t spoilt my stay. Compared to Negresco where I had a horrible night of aggravation and was exhausted for all of the next day yet they still chose to charge me when clearly the room was lacking soundproofing seems odd. I did receive a follow-up letter from the general manager restating their position.

I didn’t warm to Negresco, it was not a hotel that was a pleasure to stay at. An hotel should always feel as if it’s grateful for its guests staying there, sadly this one felt as if its customers should be grateful for being allowed to reside there. Patching things up here and there isn’t enough, the hotel needs a complete overhaul to bring it up to scratch. The basement area should house a spa/swimming pool; not even having a sauna/gym in a five star hotel is bizarre. If you can book this property at a competitive rate, don’t expect anything too great, if you’re paying close to rack rates you can do so much better down the road in Cannes or Antibes (or anywhere else in the Riviera) and have a genuinely deluxe experience.

5  Thank IntlTraveller21stc