“Over the top” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 204 Hotels in Nice
London
“Over the top”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

What can be said about this jewel in the crown of the promenade des anglias in Nice.

Most certainly back in its day I'm sure this was the hangout of the rich and famous when they visited the French Riviera, no I think it's trying to hard.

The building is old and cramped with art that is just everywhere. There is no theme and it's just a load if painting, sculptures, busts and absolutely odd things.

The staff were friendly and helpful but not more so than at any other hotel.
Breakfast was in a very kitch breakfast room and the service was average.

Would I return? I'll probably opt for something a bit more modern.

Stayed July 2014
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear worldtravellerplus77,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at the Negresco Hotel. We were sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas. Please keep in mind our hotel will be undergoing renovations starting from October 2014.

I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly

Pierre BORD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We began and ended our trip to France in Nice at Le Negresco. The beginning was better than the end. Both times we got beachfront rooms, which are both gaudy and amazing at the same time. We had access to the beach on our first visit, but no instructions on how to make that happen. Tried to use the passes a week later, but no go. "They reserve mattresses for the actual reservation." Would have been nice to know at the time. We had a suite, so we got some nice hats and some champagne. Breakfast was supposed to give us a good seat and perhaps service, but that was all unclear and the service was spotty at best. As another reviewer said, the breakfast is disorganized, so skip the add-on and eat elsewhere.

On the second visit, we got a smaller room and no perks since it was going to just a short overnight stay. The receptionist wasn't well trained. He kept my credit card, didn't want to show us to our room (weakly offered), and was befuddled by simple questions. Not what is expected of a fine hotel. And then they didn't deliver on the wake up call, so we were lucky to have set our own alarm. The last challenge was no taxi waiting for us the next morning to take us to a very early flight; there was a car waiting for another guest, but none for us even though we requested one the night before -- so beware on both the wake-up call and transportation if you have a morning flight.

The concierge did a wonderful job of securing the perfect dinner reservations for both visits, so take advantage of the influence they must possess.

We knew we were going to splurge on this trip with a visit to Le Negresco, but when compared to some great hotels (e.g. Post Ranch, Rosewood, Ventana) in California, it just didn't measure up -- so keep your expectations in check.

Room Tip: Make sure they explain how to fully utilize their services, especially if they are part of a package...
      Rooms
3 Thank MMBaldie
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear MMBaldie,

First of all,thank you very much for your recent stay at the Negresco Hotel and for taking the time to leave your feedback. We were sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with certain aspects of your visit.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay in our property. Your remarks and suggestions will be shared with the concerned departments.
We noticed however that we managed to meet your expectations in terms of concierge service and comfort in the front sea view rooms. Thank you very much for mentioning some positive aspects even if we can not deny your disappointment reading your review.

We sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to serving you better in the future.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I had very high hopes for this hotel simply put, it was relatively unremarkable.
At a pretty price of over $5000 for a brief 3 night stay (for 2 rooms), I would have expected a much higher degree of excellence and amenities than we received. The first issue we encountered was that the people who occupied our rooms before we did, had apparently checked out very late (at least that was the font desk's excuse) causing our rooms to not be ready at 4:30 pm when we arrived! The front desk was mildly apologetic and said we would have to simply wait while our rooms were made up, they would not move us, the hotel was full - we were exhausted from traveling but there was nothing we could do so we didn't make a stink.
They ushered us into their breakfast and lunch room "La Rotonde Brasserie", which is decorated like a garish carousel complete with wooden horses and the occasional circus organ music. I would say that children might thoroughly this salon, but it overwhelmed me. We found ourselves in a jam, they offered to comp our drinks (2 bottles of water) to compensate for us having to wait over an hour for our rooms, but the meal itself was costly and really quite poor. Worse yet was the staff. We sat for a half an hour watching the wait staff chat and do absolutely nothing, while we waited for an after lunch coffee that never came. When I told the gentleman at the front desk that we were disappointed with the degree of service in the restaurant he didn't apologize, just met my remarks with a blank stare.
The most egregious offense was related to the bed however. Remember how I said our rooms weren't ready when we arrived? Well, once we got into our rooms and I got into bed, I found someone else's blood in the bed. I suspect that house keeping had simply chosen not to change the sheets between guests but leaving bloody sheets between guests is absolutely unforgivable. When I told the maid about it, she a) wanted proof, b)looked at me as though I was lying, c) never apologized. It was disgusting and very disappointing for a hotel of that supposed caliber and of that price. My sheets were eventually changed the next day, but no apology was ever made, and, not that I was looking for anything, but you would expect a hotel to offer SOMETHING for having a guest sleep in someone else's bloody sheets! At least an apology!
During our sejours at Le Negresco we explored the hotel's 5 floors all filled with lots of interesting art from various artists in a range of styles and eras. The hotel has stopped offering public tours but it's fun as a guest to see what they have to offer. The center cupola is quite lovely and there are 2 bars with very different decor, each beautiful in its own way. The breakfast/luncheon restaurant La Rotonde Brasserie (to which I referred above) charged approximately $50us for breakfast and I want to warn you - despite my seemingly appetizing photo - it's not worth it! The "warm" food was awful, at once tepid, dry and gelatinous - everything in that offering was far sub par. They had a decent spread of fruits, yoghourts, and breads which we made the most of but even their crepes and waffles were ice cold and soggy. None of the breakfast was particularly appetizing and certainly not worth $50/person! We canceled our breakfast after the first day and in stead went to local boulangeries and pattiseries within walking distance.
The rooms are average. The two we had were decent sized, with a stunning view on the water. One room had pink padded walls, the other blue. One (the pink room) had gaudy sparkly gold bathroom fixtures including the tub, the sinks and the bidet. I can't imagine they've been updated any time recently, but then again, you don't stay at a hotel like this if you desire a modern atmosphere! The other room had a far more modern bathroom however the towel warming rack did not work. Also, I feel it is important to note, we were on the 3rd floor with a water front view and it was terribly noisy. Even with the metal shutters drawn the street noise was considerable.
Overall my impression of the hotel was that it was a little worn down and needs some TLC. That said, it was convenient to markets, within walking distance of down town, and the train station (which we found out only after taking a 20 euro cab ride to the train station and then walking back in quite short order). The bellmen were the most attentive and nicest employees of any that we encountered, retrieving our rental car in short order each time we needed it, and always greeting us warmly, readily at our service. The concierge gave us attitude and was of little help, and I always felt the front desk people were judging me if I came to them with an issue. I wanted to Love this hotel. Sadly, I just didn't.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank M N
Dear M N,

It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service, and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. Let us simply say that all of us here at the Negresco Hotel are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing.

We do apologize regarding the distress and offend related to the bed when discovering the room after a long wait in our brasserie. Your comments regarding our front desk, housekeeping and restaurant service have been communicated to the respective management. However, we do appreciate your commendation regarding the service provided from our concierges and bellman.

Again, we certainly appreciate your taking the time to inform us of the inadequacies you experienced during your stay. We sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Sincerely yours,

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is my 2nd stay at the Negresco and I highly recommend it. Excellent service. Beautiful rooms and great location. The hotel is gorgeous with a lovely bar. Great for family or romantic get away. I want to thank the concierge for going above and beyond. My daughter left her stuffed animal in the room. We realized this at the airport. The stuffed animal was put on a taxi and delivered to us at the airport in time for our flight. My daughter was overjoyed. (Saved vaca) thank you again for the great service. We hope to return soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear trvl02011,

We feel honored by your kind praise following to your recent stay at the Negresco Hotel. Thank you for your loyalty and trust regarding our quality of service. The experience described here is a true testament of our will do go beyond our guest's expectations.

We hope to host you again in the not too distant future.

With my best regards,

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Negresco is a beautiful hotel on the Promenade des Anglais which also doubles up as an art gallery with pieces by artists including Dahli. Our room though a little dated (pink bathroom suite) was very comfortable with a sea view (What a view!). The staff were very helpful especially the concierge who helped with restaurant booking and car reservations.
The restaurant the Chantecler is well worth a visit for the amazing food and atmosphere but do not expect much change from E500 for two with drinks.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Ray B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Negresco Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your experience at our hotel and for your kind words regarding our concierge team. Needless to say, this praise was passed on to all the concerned associates and they are truly motivated.

The Negresco Hotel is a perfect place of class service and hospitality. Located a few minutes away by walk from the city center, the property is an iconic place of the French Riviera.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback. We look forward to your future stays with us.

Yours faithfully,

Pierre Bord
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and i had an amazing couple of nights in the Coco Chanel suite last week. The view was amazing and the service was very friendly and helpful. I could not speak highly enough of this hotel and its brilliant staff. This is the place to be in Nice and I hope to visit again at the same time next year and then every year after that.

Breakfast had a great variety of different food options and the scrambled egg was lovely.

Celine looked after us brilliantly during our stay and the lady who runs the service at breakfast is a credit to the hotel...........they would struggle without her!

*****excellent stay thank you*****

Room Tip: All rooms are unique and although we were fortunate enough to stay in a suite on this occasion, we h...
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Sean D,

Thank you very much for your detailed review following your recent stay at The Negresco Hotel in Nice and commendation of the Coco Channel suite, our restaurant "La Rotonde" and quality of service.

I will give me great pleasure to pass on your encouraging praise to Celine from the front desk and the rest of the teams. We hope you had a safe journey back to Liverpool.

We look forward to your return to your new home in Nice and remain,

northwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Beautiful surroundings in main part of hotel.Bedroom had amazing views over promenade.Bathroom a little dated and tired.Lacked quality bath products and basic cotton wool for makeup removal! Felt guilty mascara on white towels!.No shower cap! Apart from that we had not booked the fine dining restaurant, but were given a late booking.Worth waiting for, amazing room, attentive staff and food which was just wonderful. 3 hours for service but most enjoyable. Hotel staff were all so lovley and helpful with any directions or recommendations. Nice is a beautiful place to experience, especially the little train tour to the old part of town. Would deffinately return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of hotel off the main promenade but still have amazing views
1 Thank chocolateNorthwich
Dear chocolateNorthwich,

It is a true pleasure to read your heartening and wonderful compliments on our hotel and services during your recent stay at the Negresco Hotel. Your kind praise of our restaurant is greatly appreciated and I am glad, that you got the chance to experience this place awarded recently one of the best restaurants of the French Riviera.

In January 2014, the Negresco Hotel is the first 5 stars hotel of the French Riviera to be certified Ecolabel. It makes a pioneer in the field of socially responsible hospitality. Additional bath products, shower cap and cotton wool are provided upon request for ecological purposes.

We certainly hope that you will visit Nice and the Negresco Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,