“Overpriced and overated” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 204 Hotels in Nice
United Kingdom
“Overpriced and overated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed for 5 nights. We booked an excutive room with a balcony with a sea view (7th floor). The view from the balcony is spectacular and the location is good. The room was not what we expected for over 500 euros per night - very poor value for money. Very basic and not particularly large.
One of the aspects fo the hotel that attracted us was the photos of the pool and roof top area - we never got to use it! Every time we went up there, all of the very limited number of sun loungers and seating were occupied or covered in towels and belongings preventing them being used. This was very disappoiting as the area seemed poorly managed and they seemed reluctant to remove towels and belongings from seats that were not being used.
We did include breakfast in our package and this was well worth it - the buffet breakfast is excellent but cost extra.
Overall we found the hotel to be a convenient location but very poor value for money. I would not pay these rates to stay there again. We felt ripped off. Front desk staff were miserable too.
Finally, the pool and the gym close very early which is very odd

Room Tip: dont pay what we paid for an excutive sea view room - not worth it!
1 Thank UnitedKingdomBryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and really enjoyed this hotel.
The location is great - easy to walk to the old town or to stroll around the promenade. Bus 98 stops right in front of the hotel and takes you to the airport for 4 euros.
Room was nice and modern. Best feature was definitely the balcony with ocean view. We just couldn't stop taking pictures.
Really enjoyed the rooftop. The views are unbelievable - just go up and look around if nothing else. Pool is decent size so we used it quite a lot. It's true there are not enough tanning chairs, but they let us lounge around on the sofas, which was even better. Drinks and food were great. We usually went out to eat in the old town, but one afternoon we got lazy and decided to just have lunch on the rooftop. What a good decision! I spotted the offer "1 guest - 1 lobster" and decided to try it. The idea is that they use all parts of the lobster in 3 courses. Loved it all, especially the last course of risotto with lobster tail. The whole thing cost 39 euros - so worth it!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

It took over an hour to get our bags to our room - and we were late meeting our group. Breakfast at the hotel was good and I highly recommend getting a drink from their rooftop
restaurant - the view is great. If you are a guest who wants anything other than what is in your room (for eg I requested a thin pillow) - then you will find it tiresome dealing with the staff. After 2 days of requests I just gave up.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tourtheworld-74
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

After loyally staying at Starwood properties for over a year, I redeemed my first overseas reward certificate, believing the website's beautiful photos of this hotel. The modern rooms depicted were not what we got. Our inside room was clean but very, very dated. The decor was 50's beach hotel, and had not been remodeled in many decades. The room faced an interior courtyard with nothing but trash and pebbles. Our air conditioning did not work and we were charged $75 for a rollaway bed. The rude front desk could not be less friendly.

I have not stayed in such a rundown hotel (billed as an upscale hotel) in years. We were so happy this was just one night and could not imagine what a longer stay would have been like. I have redeemed reward certificates overseas with Marriott and Hilton and in all cases, thud hotels did somersaults to make us feel special providing us with upgrades and free amenities like a concierge floor and free wifi. Note, the pool closed at 5:00 (just when we wanted to take a dip), as they were cleaning the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room regardless of direction as all exterior rooms have balconies, but Bring ear...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Digimom

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Couldn't be more pleased with the location of this hotel - beach across the street and right beside Albert Park. Stayed for a chill out on the beach and wander the town kinda break with friends. We were on the top floor with a city view and the first morning I leapt out of bed and grabbed my camera to get shots of the morning light on the rooftops with the hills in the background. So beautiful. Balcony is generously sized and had great loungers - though you will have to ask for cushions.

The room was also generously sized - great bed - loved the bedside book lights. The rest of the furniture in the modern designed room was a little odd though. (And, don't misunderstand, I like modern). The couch - if I can call it that has a narrow seat and tall back. Not so inviting. The - I don't even know what to call it - armoire/buffet/luggage stand - was weird. I sat my case on it but it had a shelf over top that I hit my head on...anyway, not very functional furnishings outside of bed and balcony. Lighting in the main room was limited as well.

Website shows rooftop pool which we thought we would def use - didn't. Like many, its smaller than you expect and is at the back surrounded by 3 walls - so not like you are swimming with view of beach. The food/drink on rooftop was more expensive than we thought we'd like to spend, so although it did look nice, we didn't end up spending time up there.

I guess I'll have to comment on the front desk staff. My friend, who pulled out her rusty French - doing a fine job I thought, but struggled with a couple questions. Usually when you encounter this, the staff switch quickly into English and she wasn't very helpful and the struggle continued.

We stayed on points, so won't answer 'value' question. Location is often a big factor in decisions - this one is great.

Room Tip: I'm sure ocean view is spectacular - but I wouldn't fee ripped off by a city view. It's...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Cheapest room was $500 US - and you don't get a lot for that - but you ARE on the French Riviera! I hoped we were in for something special. We are SPG platinum level and are supposed to be upgraded to the best available room or a suite upon arrival. I don't think they do so unless you call them on it (they upgraded us - but it was the lowest upgrade they had – to a classic room) - so you really have to confirm with them. The “upgraded” room was actually quite dirty and when I complained they moved the next highest class room. I called SPG and they confirmed that there were junior suites available – but the hotel just didn’t bother to respect the terms of the SPG membership. There is no lounge - so platinum members do not receive snacks at night nor breakfast in the morning.
Check in was fast as was checkout. I liked the option they have to credit you 5 Euro or 500 spg points for every night you don't have housekeeping tidy up the room.
You are on the French Riviera, and that is nice. The beach is all rock – no one seemed to mind, but it sure hurts walking on the rocks trying to get into the water.
So, anyway, I don’t recommend the $500 rooms. You get more for $750 – mainly cleanliness. I didn’t pay anything as I used SPG points to pay for the room but I was told you can get the rooms much cheaper using different concierge services (like AMEX) or possibly calling the hotel directly and asking for any specials. Parking is 23 Euro/night.
Location is very good.

1 Thank ChiefSadler
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Dear ChiefSadler,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
So glad that you were able to stay with your family during this busy month of August, which explains your unfortunate situation about not having an upgrade.
The beach is well known and appreciated for its pebbles and many of our guests have found the best answer to this : wearing plastic swimming shoes!
May I congratulate you for participating in our ecological programme : Make a Green Choice - a great contribution to saving water and electricity. On top of this, you are rewarded with 500 SPG points a night - a very good choice indeed.
The location of the hotel is brilliant - overlooking the Mediterranean, a stroll away from both the old town and the pedestrian zone and centrally located between Monaco and Cannes.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
Very best regards

Pablo Bandala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Looking at other peoples reviews I was expecting a very low standard hotel. However, I arrived to find a lovely clean, well presented room. I stayed in the standard room and could not fault it. It seems to me that people were staying here looking for six star standard, if you want that, pay for somewhere down the road! The terrace and pool were amazing and although the prices are high that is what you expect from the area itself. The corridors were purple which some were moaning about, but they suited the hotel and made it smart.
It is perfectly positioned for the beach and both the old and new towns. The staff were helpful also.
Well worth a stay. Book on last minute for the best deal and don't be too bothered about the basic rooms!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Dear ClaireLewis16
Firstly, thank you so much for writing this delightful review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Le Méridien Nice and that you found everything to your complete satisfaction. Thank you especially for your remarks about the helpful staff. I am also thrilled to have a good review at last about the corridor decoration, which was carried out for us by a famous Parisian interior decorator, Mr François Champsaur.
The roof-top terrace and the pool are indeed amazing and is an experience not to be missed.
I do appreciate you taking your time to express your views and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Le Méridien Nice.
With my best regards