“A nice hotel in Nice, but the staff needs improvement...”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #83 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I really appreciate modern contemporary design and this hotel did not disappoint. The dissatisfaction that I did experience resulted ultimately from communication. I booked the room several months in advance with a note included in the reservation indicating that my family consisted of my wife and I and two young children ages eight and 11.

Midway through our driving tour of Europe and three days before our arrival in Nice, I received an e-mail stating that I would have to reserve a second very expensive room (even with the discount offered) for our children. When I responded that this was unacceptable, the hotel manager responded that he had upgraded us (very kind) to a room that would accommodate the entire family.

Unfortunately, when we arrived the rude front desk staff member looked at me incredulously and frowned while stating "there are four" of you. When I referenced that I have an e-mail resolving this from the manager, Pascale, the person again restated that only three are allowed per room. I had to show her Pascale's e-mail on my iPhone to get her to relent. I also pointed out that if Pascale had approved something already, it should be noted on my reservation and I should have been greeted with a smile and welcome and not an argument.

A note for those families with young children to Europe... I found it nearly impossible to find hotels which would accommodate more than three occupants in a single room. It seems to be the magic number in Europe - no matter how young the third and fourth occupants. For example, it was simply an impossibility at the Westin and Le Meridien properties we visited (all insisted on a second room). In my opinion, this is ridiculous and something which warrants a better solution. My appreciation goes out to this hotel, though, for allowing us (following e-mail dialogue) to have the entire family stay in a single room with a king bed and rollaway.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Paul A,
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to hear that you appreciated our hotel and especially its modern and contemporary style!
On the other hand we are sorry about the inconvenience caused at the front-office desk whilst checking-in. Please accept our apologies for this incident.
Very much looking forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to Europe.

Pablo Bandala

Write a ReviewReviews (2,188)

Reviewed 24 August 2012

did check in there in august thru my spg point
room was ok bathroom very dirty mold, painting was falling from bathroom and closet in the room
went and complain to the GM who was not there spoke to the room division manager who came to me and check the room and says to me (no one has complain about this room the hotel is fully booked you have no options or you stay or you can go ) actually the general condition of the hotel need a heavy refurbishement especially the bathroom the room division manager was very rude spoke to me to a very inapropriate way for a guest to a 4 star hotel
not even a word saying sorry nothing
the only nice point was the lady at check in who was very nice

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank patrickl7575

Dear patrickl7575,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community and for being part of our loyalty programme.

We are delighted to read that you appreciated the kindness of our front desk team!

However, we apologize that the cleanliness of the bathroom didn’t meet your expectations. This information will be shared with the department concerned in order to avoid a reoccurrence.

Once again, please accept our apologies and we sincerely hope that this experience did not impact your stay and the possibility of returning back to the hotel.

Thank you again for your comments..

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have not returned to that Meridien for some years and was poorly impressed by the general condition of the hotel and the lack of service for that type of establishment. The hotel needs for sure a heavy refurbishment including a change in color of the corridors (interesting that dirty look violet). It also took me 45 minutes to get into my room, as the keys did not work. I went back to the reception a couple of times with my 20 kgs suitcase, to get new keys (that neither did not work), waited again for the reception to send me new keys (which they finally did not do, as they were busy, although no clients were checking-in), then I waited for the security man (who never came) and finally the technical department. I received no excuse, just a sort of complaint from the receptionist.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank travelerchpd
lm-nice, Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear blueskygva,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community and for your loyalty.
We are so sorry that your stay didn’t meet your expectations.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the room key problem and the quality of service you received. Rest assured that this bad experience does not reflect the usual quality of our standards that we strive to maintain high. We will make sure to share your comments with the concerned departments so this won’t happen again in the future.

We sincerely hope that you will not judge us on this particular experience and that you will give us another chance to regain your confidence.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

The hotel is located in an ideal area close to all the facilities and shops. when we arrived at the hotel the concierge service were ready and waiting to take our luggage. check in was swift and the staff were great. luggage arrived at our room in no time. not much of a view from our room but then we were not paying the top price for a view over the promenade. breakfast was well served in a light airy room with sufficient choice. the pool area is adequate- but you have little chance of getting a bed- so if you don't expect - you won't be disappointed! There are 5 beds that are actually around the pool and the other beds have their backs to the pool and are really just additional sunbeds to relax on. you can sit on the rattan chairs which are comfy but no view of the pool. drinks are expensive. all in all no complaints about the hotel or service. good choice for a hotel .

Dear vercol,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to see that you appreciated our hotel and the quality of the services.
Thank you for recommending it as a good choice!

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Thought we would be getting the usual Le Meridien luxury, how wrong could I be. Our rooms are dark and dingy, the colour scheme makes it look dirty. The breakfast is good but the service from the staff is patchy. The hotel pool is so small it's really not worth visiting, I think I counted 14 sunbeds crammed into a very small space. The bar on the roof is ok but it is very expensive. This hotel feels more like a business hotel rather than somewhere you would come to with a family although it's location is perfect. We won't use it again.

Room Tip: You have to upgrade to a better room to get a room worth having
2  Thank Mull8

Dear Mull8,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our fantastic location and also the very good breakfast.

However, I am sorry that you do not appreciate our décor and colour scheme further to the recent refurbishment

Please accept our apologies with regards to your experience with us, which didn’t meet your expectations.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice at a future date.

Best regards

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We have stayed at Starwood hotels all around the world, when you go to the Le Meridien Nice, you expect it to be amazing.. It was not..

The staff are rude, no helpful, as an american they seem to treat you as a 2nd class. it's weird you know there's a french vs. US thing, but we are the Westin in Paris where I thought you would get more attitude, but they were really-really nice and it made the stay great compared to this

When we checked in, we had red wine or blood on the main wall in our bedroom, about 3 ft long, we called housekeeping twice to clean it, nothing.. when we checked out 3 days later, it was still on the wall..

On our last day, we needed some breakfast but missed the window, the lady in the restaurant area was super rude, when we ordered tea/etc,

The pool on the roof's great, the location rocks..

On our last night, I think housekeeping started cleaning the room next to us at 5am..

We were glad to leave.

3  Thank AaronsAccount

Dear Aaron S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip Advisor.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the location of Le Méridien Nice and our rooftop pool.

On the other hand, we are distressed to hear that the hotel didn’t meet your expectations on certain levels. This certainly does not reflect the usual quality of our service.
We do apologize that the staff was not helpful and didn’t give you the attention you deserved and also the unfriendly attitude during your breakfast

What’s more, we are sorry that your request regarding the red stain wasn’t taken into account rapidly .

Please rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to the departments concerned to avoid a reoccurrence in the future.

Once again, please accept our apologies and we hope that you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Le Meridien Nice is a standard, competent business hotel on one of the most beautiful streets in the world, the Baie des Anges in Nice, right across the street from the beach (disclosure - the Nice beach is a pebble, not sand beach, with pebbles the size of eggs - there are lots of 'plages privees which can provide you a mattress and parasol to make the beach soft). The hotel has the amenities you would expect in a standard business hotel, comfortable beds, great bathroom, and free wifi for Starwood SPG Gold cardholders. The breakfast buffet is first class (but expensive, 20 euros) and they have a significant Muslim clientele, so the sausages are marked pork or not pork. One peculiarity is that the beach corner of the ground floor of the building is occupied by a MacDonalds - but don't worry, they obviously don't share a kitchen.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Playaneuron
lm-nice, Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Plataneuron,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community and for being part of Starwood Preferred Guest program.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s a pleasure to read your kind review!

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon at Le Méridien Nice!

Kind regards,