“Good hotel in a great location”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #74 of 205 Hotels in Nice
“Good hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

We just spent three nights here and overall had a good experience. The location is excellent for Nice old town, the beach and there is a public car park under the hotel with direct access which is rare for the Cote D'Azur. We had a room on the 5th floor with a sea and road view, the sea is lovely but the road not so much. If you're a light sleeper stay at the back of the hotel as the road is busy all night. The beach is right across the main road and as a hotel guest you get a discounted rate at the private Ruhl Beach or there is the public beach but take a lilo as it is a shingle beach and the shingles are more like small rocks. The terrace restaurant on the roof has a great view and the food is good, comes in big portions but is a little overpriced but then there is that view. Staff were generally helpful and friendly but the hotel has more of a corporate feel to it than a relaxed holiday one. Overall it's a good hotel, not amazing but for a weekend in Nice it works well and you can't get a much better location.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Lord N,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.
I am very happy to know how much you enjoyed your time at Le Méridien Nice and hope to see you again for your next stay in Nice.

Pablo Bandala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here one night prior to a cruise departing Nice and the room was booked through the cruise line. The location and price are a good combination especially for travelers who want to be near the beach (for others, you may find better values looking away from the beach area as there should be many choices). The room and breakfast were both better than we expected. The room was surprisingly large (although I think we had a superior room) and basically furnished but very clean and appeared to have been redone recently. The breakfast was extensive, one of the broadest selections we have seen in Europe (the continental breakfast being the norm). If you breakfast late, you could eat enough to skip lunch.
This is a no-frills hotel however and maybe not for everyone. For example, there is a very small "front desk"; during our brief stay we typically saw no more than 2-3 people working at a time which in mid-summer when occupancy is high, could mean a wait while they deal with whoever is in line in front of you so allow extra time for anything you may need help with. Also, there are no bellman but there are luggage carts for guests to use; when a lot of guests are checking out at the same time, there may not be enough carts to go around so allow extra time. The front desk staff was very helpful to us with directions, restaurant recommendations, etc but we were not trying to access them when time and tempers were short.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Hazelmom,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Nice before departing on a cruise.
I am glad that you enjoyed our superb location opposite the beach, within walking distance of both the old town and the pedestrian zone and also very near the port of Nice.

I am delighted that you appreciated the breakfast experience where we cater for all tastes. The buffet breakfast includes freshly squeezed orange juice and many other fruit juices; all sorts of various breads and even pancakes and pastries; delicious jams such as blueberry, cherry, raspberry, peach etc.; various fresh and dried fruit; a large cooked breakfast; fresh yoghurts and cream cheese; and last but not by any means least, Congi Chinese Soup.

I must apologize if you didn’t see a bellman. In fact, as you mentioned, occupancy is very high in the summer and at least 4 bellmen are on shift at any one time during this period. They are constantly called to collect clients’ cars from the underground public car park, to collect luggage from the clients’ rooms upon departure, to assist clients upon arrival.

So glad too that the front desk staff were of assistance to you.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Méridien Nice on a future trip to Europe.

Stoke Poges, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband took me to Le Meridian in Nice for my birthday on 24th August. We were very disappointed in the room girstly as it was much smaller than expected, (for the price), the furniture was not clean. The bathroom had insufficient towels and room service did not turn down the room either of the nights we stayed. When we asked for it to be done, no one showed up, we had to chase room service for fresh towels for us to shower at the end of the day. The choice for breakfast was not as extensive as we have experienced in this type of hotel before. We both used the gym, it was in very tatty, no towels were provided. The condition of the equipment was old and not of the standard you would expect from a Le Meridian Hotel. Unfortunately, We will be informing our travel agent of our disappointment in this hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel needs a update and upgrade to the level of standard that you would expect from Other Le Meridi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter C
Dear Peter C,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your birthday weekend, which we hope wasn't spoilt too much.
We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

I am so sorry that you had an issue with the service and fresh towels. Our Special Guest Service desk is available to solve all issues and would have been of assistance to you to ensure that the housekeeper was informed of your concerns.

I do apologize for the miscommunication with your Travel Agent with regards to the room size.

Hoping that you will give us another chance to regain your confidence, may I suggest that you peruse our very informative website, where all relevant information can be found about our rooms and about the hotel in general, and also to watch our recent video.

Again, thank you for your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Pablo Bandala

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I really appreciate modern contemporary design and this hotel did not disappoint. The dissatisfaction that I did experience resulted ultimately from communication. I booked the room several months in advance with a note included in the reservation indicating that my family consisted of my wife and I and two young children ages eight and 11.

Midway through our driving tour of Europe and three days before our arrival in Nice, I received an e-mail stating that I would have to reserve a second very expensive room (even with the discount offered) for our children. When I responded that this was unacceptable, the hotel manager responded that he had upgraded us (very kind) to a room that would accommodate the entire family.

Unfortunately, when we arrived the rude front desk staff member looked at me incredulously and frowned while stating "there are four" of you. When I referenced that I have an e-mail resolving this from the manager, Pascale, the person again restated that only three are allowed per room. I had to show her Pascale's e-mail on my iPhone to get her to relent. I also pointed out that if Pascale had approved something already, it should be noted on my reservation and I should have been greeted with a smile and welcome and not an argument.

A note for those families with young children to Europe... I found it nearly impossible to find hotels which would accommodate more than three occupants in a single room. It seems to be the magic number in Europe - no matter how young the third and fourth occupants. For example, it was simply an impossibility at the Westin and Le Meridien properties we visited (all insisted on a second room). In my opinion, this is ridiculous and something which warrants a better solution. My appreciation goes out to this hotel, though, for allowing us (following e-mail dialogue) to have the entire family stay in a single room with a king bed and rollaway.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Paul A,
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to hear that you appreciated our hotel and especially its modern and contemporary style!
On the other hand we are sorry about the inconvenience caused at the front-office desk whilst checking-in. Please accept our apologies for this incident.
Very much looking forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to Europe.

Paris, France
Reviewed 24 August 2012

did check in there in august thru my spg point
room was ok bathroom very dirty mold, painting was falling from bathroom and closet in the room
went and complain to the GM who was not there spoke to the room division manager who came to me and check the room and says to me (no one has complain about this room the hotel is fully booked you have no options or you stay or you can go ) actually the general condition of the hotel need a heavy refurbishement especially the bathroom the room division manager was very rude spoke to me to a very inapropriate way for a guest to a 4 star hotel
not even a word saying sorry nothing
the only nice point was the lady at check in who was very nice

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank patrickl7575
Dear patrickl7575,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community and for being part of our loyalty programme.

We are delighted to read that you appreciated the kindness of our front desk team!

However, we apologize that the cleanliness of the bathroom didn’t meet your expectations. This information will be shared with the department concerned in order to avoid a reoccurrence.

Once again, please accept our apologies and we sincerely hope that this experience did not impact your stay and the possibility of returning back to the hotel.

Thank you again for your comments..

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have not returned to that Meridien for some years and was poorly impressed by the general condition of the hotel and the lack of service for that type of establishment. The hotel needs for sure a heavy refurbishment including a change in color of the corridors (interesting that dirty look violet). It also took me 45 minutes to get into my room, as the keys did not work. I went back to the reception a couple of times with my 20 kgs suitcase, to get new keys (that neither did not work), waited again for the reception to send me new keys (which they finally did not do, as they were busy, although no clients were checking-in), then I waited for the security man (who never came) and finally the technical department. I received no excuse, just a sort of complaint from the receptionist.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank blueskygva
lm-nice, Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear blueskygva,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community and for your loyalty.
We are so sorry that your stay didn’t meet your expectations.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the room key problem and the quality of service you received. Rest assured that this bad experience does not reflect the usual quality of our standards that we strive to maintain high. We will make sure to share your comments with the concerned departments so this won’t happen again in the future.

We sincerely hope that you will not judge us on this particular experience and that you will give us another chance to regain your confidence.

staffordshire
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The hotel is located in an ideal area close to all the facilities and shops. when we arrived at the hotel the concierge service were ready and waiting to take our luggage. check in was swift and the staff were great. luggage arrived at our room in no time. not much of a view from our room but then we were not paying the top price for a view over the promenade. breakfast was well served in a light airy room with sufficient choice. the pool area is adequate- but you have little chance of getting a bed- so if you don't expect - you won't be disappointed! There are 5 beds that are actually around the pool and the other beds have their backs to the pool and are really just additional sunbeds to relax on. you can sit on the rattan chairs which are comfy but no view of the pool. drinks are expensive. all in all no complaints about the hotel or service. good choice for a hotel .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
lm-nice, Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear vercol,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to see that you appreciated our hotel and the quality of the services.
Thank you for recommending it as a good choice!

Looking forward to welcoming you back,