“Great Location, but Needs Updating”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #82 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for three nights as an add-on to our river cruise. We had an inside room (courtyard view) on the seventh floor. The room was clean but is in need of modernization. The bathroom fixtures were of 1950s vintage, and the floor and wall tiles definitely showed their age. The analog thermostat on the wall seemed to have little control over the room temperature, although the room was kept cool during our stay. One annoying feature was that the electrical outlets lost power when the room key was removed from its slot, or when the master light switch was turned off, preventing us from charging our phones, etc. unless the lights were on.
Breakfast buffet, which was included in our package, was typical, although we did not see an option for omelets or cooked eggs, only scrambled. Service was friendly.
The front desk / concierge staff were also friendly, although not very helpful. Questions about bus routes, travel times etc. were answered with inaccurate or partial information. It was as if these folks just moved into town themselves.
The location is prime, just across from the beach (22e per day for a chair and umbrella, unless you want to sit on rocks) and a 5 minute walk to old town and shopping, restaurants, etc.. The comments by other travelers about the McDonalds downstairs and the crowds are fair, although we had expected such given the location and high season.
Overall an average resort hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: If you're looking for quiet at night, choose an inside room. Ocean view rooms were exposed to ro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jerry S
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear JerryS,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on this website further to your recent stay after your river cruise.

We’re delighted that you enjoyed our prime location.

You stayed in one of our classic rooms overlooking the internal courtyard. These rooms are especially appreciated for their tranquillity although I must underline that these Classic rooms are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment.
I am sorry the room style did not match your expectations.

We sincerely do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.
If so, please feel free to contact the Guest Experience Team personally who will assist with your booking arrangements.

Pablo Bandala

Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you’re Looking for a Hotel with a McDonald’s & Trashy Casino in the lobby than this is your place. If poor service and dirty bathrooms get you excited look no further.

Otherwise do yourself and your loved ones a favor and avoid this place at all cost. Sometimes when I write a review good or bad I just don’t know where to start but in this case it is just easy so here we go. As you drive up you see a nasty casino on the main floor and a McDonald’s on the corner. There is no lobby on the main floor or even a sign to let you know where to go just an escalator. Once up the escalator and at the front desk you are reminded that some properties hire staff straight out of fast food restaurants sometimes instead of training and customer service they try rude and nasty to win you over.

After being informed that we only booked the room for 1 person (my wife and I booked through Starwood Concierge Direct) we were then informed that we only have a double bed in the room we booked and she asked if we would like to upgrade. I informed her that we were Platinum and should be getting an upgrade… she looked at me like I had just shot her cat. We discussed it for a few minutes until she realized that it was futile and she gave us our keys. Good news we “Gave” you an upgrade bad news it is directly next to the elevators??? OK, I can live with that the room seems nice and then my wife asked me the question I will never forget! "Did you use the bathroom already….” What? So I walk in to the loo and realize that there is a significant amount of Lou still in the toilet (I would attach a picture but I am still disgusted). Here is where it gets funny I go to the front desk and explain that the toilette in my room has crap in it and with a little translation issue the gentlemen explains that there are plenty or nicer rooms and I can pay to upgrade!!!! Now I am laughing and I try to explain that the room is not crap but there is crap in the room… Finally he gets it, I can tell by his face he is embarrassed and his demeanor changes instantly. For the record all of the previous issues are gone and he is nothing but nice and very apologetic and seems sincerely concerned and immediately send someone to clean the room.

So let’s go over the Pro’s and Con’s because there are always some and everyone should know exactly what to expect.

Pro’s
Location, Location, Location
View (if you get the right room)

Con’s
Terrible Service (90%)
Dirty rooms (Toilet, Carpet, etc…)
No washcloths, slippers, pens in the room
McDonald’s
Casino
Lower Lobby

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible and facing the water of course!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aaron C

Dear Synfi,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location: opposite the Mediterranean Sea, but also within easy walking distance of the old town, the pedestrian zone and the recently opened Green Strip with its 30 acres of park land including trees and water features, running through the centre of Nice from the MAMAC (Modern and Contemporary Art Museum) to the Mediterranean Sea, creating a more eco-friendly city centre for pedestrians.

We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at Le Méridien Nice. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.
As a loyal guest to Le Méridien hotels, your comments are highly appreciated. I can assure you that I have examined your review and shared it with our management team so we may resolve any and all issues.
Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Once again, please accept our apologies.
We sincerely do hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you’ll choose to stay with us again in the near future. If so, please feel free to contact the Guest Experience Team personally in order to assist with your booking arrangements.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

No doubt this hotel was centrally located. Across the street from the beach, a few minutes walk to "Old Town" and next to a McDonalds restaurant. Clean common areas but a little bit too crowded when walking to elevators from Front Desk area. The room is plain, simple and the bathroom lacks ventilation and the tub it is way to high. Difficult to get in and out from tub specially for those of us who had knee surgery. Bottom of tub was chipped and scruffy right around the drain area. Amenities available in the bathroom for your use are ok. The closet is very spacious and it does have a lot of clothes hangers. But when we first walked in noticed that the air coming out of the vent was minimal and certainly not very cool. Next thing the housekeeping lady came in the room without any warning. I tried to communicate to her that we needed help adjusting the thermostat. Found myself using my Spanish and Italian vocabulary because she didn't speak nor understood English. She was gracious and repeatedly apologized to us for opening the room door on us without warning. Even though we had the bell boy and the housekeeping lady trying to help us with the AC it didn't work properly. It felt very warm in the room during the day and if you were standing right in front of the doors with the curtains it felt even hotter! Had to move the desk for my husband to work using his laptop, right below where the vent was because that was the only spot where you felt any cool air coming out. Bed and linens were just ok. Didn't have the chance to eat at the lobby restaurant because we didn't know that they were providing food for our large group, but I briefly went in to meet with a few people there and it looked like a nice room with a buffet style meal. Front desk staff were friendly and very courteous. Requested to have a bucket of ice and a bottle opener and they quickly send somebody over to deliver it. At one point we determined that it was a lot cooler out in the hallways than inside the room why is that? Not good at all for us who are use to having very cool air blasting all over a room :(
We decided to go to the Old town for dinner because it was a beautiful evening and it was a lot cooler walking outdoors than staying in.
We stayed there just one night and left the next day to go catch our cruise to Cannes, Marseilles and to Barcelona, Spain. Rooms need a little more TLC i.e. cleaner carpets, non rough enamel exposure in the tub, working air conditioners.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear reinamaga3,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Nice prior to your cruise and for giving us your feedback further to your recent stay.
Our location is indeed an asset : opposite the Mediterranean Sea, but also within easy walking distance of the old town, the pedestrian zone and the recently opened Green Strip with its 30 acres of park land including trees and water features, running through the centre of Nice from the MAMAC (Modern and Contemporary Art Museum) to the Mediterranean Sea, creating a more eco-friendly city centre for pedestrians.

We regret that you experienced an issue with the air-conditioning and wish to thank you for your various suggestions regarding the classic rooms.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back. May we suggest that you may like to try one of our seaview rooms next time.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Meridien has an exceptional location, it's address alone tells you that. No 1 Promenade des Anglais. It is not quiet, it is not peaceful, but for a city beside the sea break it puts you within walking distance of the beach, restaurants, shops and many of Nice's popular tourist destinations. Unfortunately the hotel is impersonal and the staff are a little robotic. On checking in we were greeted by a fairly sour faced receptionist who directed us to a less than acceptable 'standard' room. Our second attempt found us with a 90 euro a day upgrade but a much nicer room on the corner of the hotel overlooking gardens, a busy road junction, the promenade and a glimpse of the bay. In fairness the double glazing, curtains and very effective aid conditioning made the room very comfortable. Breakfast offered good choice and the rooftop bar a lovely place for enjoying the views, catching the sunset and a cool evening breeze.

Room Tip: Unless you are on a business trip it has to be a room with either a city or partial sea view. This...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DevonExplorer2013

Dear DevonExplorer2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip Advisor.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the central location of Le Méridien Nice and that you opted for an upgrade into a sea and garden view room.

On the other hand, I was concerned about your comments on our employees’ attitude. Guest satisfaction is our priority and it is unacceptable if you did not feel welcomed to our property.
We do apologize that the team was unhelpful and didn’t give you the attention you deserved.
Please rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to the departments concerned to avoid a reoccurrence in the future.

Once again, please accept our apologies.
We hope that you will give us a chance to regain your confidence and hope to see you again for your next stay in Nice

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel was not what we expected at all. The service was less than adequate. The rooms were not serviced and items such as glasses were not replaced. The staff were not engaging or really interested in helping you with anything. It was like you were encroaching on them. Dinner one night was at the cafe which was totally empty when we arrived at 8:00 we asked for a window table only to be told they were all reserved. The restaurant closes at 10:00 we left at 9:45 and only 5 tables were taken. Furthermore when we asked for a table by the window we could not be accommodated until my friend pushed -- about half hour into our dinner a lovely French couple sat beside us and asked to be moved they were quickly reseated at another table. It appears that the language of the hotel is indeed French and if you speak that language you will receive service -- beware if you speak English.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kelli C
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Kelli C,
Thank you for your numerous feedbacks which do surprise us a little as they are all very different…. :)
Rooms are all serviced on a daily bases and the glasses are changed…
All during the month of July until this date, our rooftop restaurant was fully booked every evening. We are sorry if we couldn’t offer you a table near the window.
French is the official language but we are always very happy to welcome our anglo-saxon friends…:)
We will be happy to welcome you again for a future stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was a pre-trip with Viking River Cruises. We were very pleased with the accommodations. We didn't upgrade for the view, as we enjoyed it quite well from the seating in the lobby and the rooftop bar. The Ironman was going on while we were there and it was lots of fun watching them practice and then perform the triathlon right in front of our hotel. Breakfast buffet was included and was quite extensive. We very much enjoyed the rooftop bar - very good mojitos! You couldn't beat the location - we took a short walk to Old Town for dinner every night. The buses were right in front of the hotel and it was easy to take a day trip to St. Paul de Vence by bus for 1.5 EU each way. I highly recommend the visit.

Room Tip: Why pay extra for a view when you can go to the rooftop for free? Or cross the street and walk on t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lady_Jane_Pl
Thank you for the review that you were kind enough to write on TripAdvisor
I am very happy to know how much you enjoyed your time at Le Meridien Nice and hope to see you again for your next stay in Nice.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Yes, this hotel has a superb location, being ideally situated for the beach, the shopping and the old town. As mentioned in other reviews there are concerts held in the gardens across from the hotel and I guess that the noise could be intrusive if you have a room on that side.

The public areas of the hotel are quite stylish and check-in was efficient and friendly - we were quite impressed, until we got to our room.

The 'classic' rooms seem to be on the inside overlooking a rather dull courtyard, and we were advised that a sea view would cost us another €135 a night - we declined. Our room was a good size but suffered from several issues. On arrival there were a number of faults: there was no power to the TV, one light in the bathroom was not working and the shaving mirror on an extending arm simply flopped into a
position where it was of no use at all. These defects were all rectified quickly, but in a hotel of this standard and price I don't expect to find problems on arrival.

The lighting in the room was poor, making the room feel gloomy and the bathroom felt a little tired. The shower was over the bath and there was mould on the tiles; it felt like a bathroom you would expect in a much cheaper hotel.

Wifi is expensive and I really don't want to arrive in a hotel room to see a tray of sweets laid out in a prominent position - particularly when they are not complimentary and are rather cheap varieties.

Breakfast was good and served in a room with a superb view, by friendly efficient staff. There was a good choice and everything seemed to be fresh and well prepared.

This is a good hotel, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the room, I had expected better. Would I use it again? Possibly, although I would have a good look at the alternatives first.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple