“Excellent city centre location”

Hotel Aston La Scala
Ranked #55 of 205 Hotels in Nice
Worcs
“Excellent city centre location”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times, most recently in June 2013. Its location 5 mins away from the beach and the old town is perfect. It was undergoing a makeover when I last stayed and I was fortunate enough to get one of the new rooms which was excellent. Unfortunately the roof top pool was closed because of the work, but when it re-opens the sun terrace has great views over the Baie des Anges and the old town. Staff are friendly and helpful. Only 20 mins bus journey from the airport, with bus stop a few mins away from the hotel. I will stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkWorcs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My girlfriend and I spent another weekend down away from home on the beautiful Cote D'Azur. As expected the weather was pristine, with nothing but an eloquent breeze to ease of the nonetheless welcomed strong sunshine.
We decided to stay in this hotel as it has both a reputation and a perfect location, overlooking the beautiful Massena Square. We were greeted by the charming receptionist who offered to carry our luggage, and were told the directions to our room. This is arguably where the disappointments started. In hindsight after having spend 150 euros on the night in the hotel, we should have complained. Firstly, we decided that nothing would be more romantic than a cosy bath together to freshen up for the evening. We were horrorstruck to find that the plug was not working, and when I rang to call the receptionist, he could offer me no more help than an exasperated "non monsieur". The evening only got worse when I noticed dangerous large cracks across the walls. This forced me to bring to question not only the quality of what we were paying for, but our own safety: was the hotel wall about to collapse? Not only was the structure of the building of the hotel debatably lethal, but the beds were no better. When paying these amounts of money, I would expect at least a double bed, and if that, a bed that does not form a neck-breaking crevasse when expressing love to my girlfriend. Furthermore, the bed sheets undid themselves, resulting in my girlfriend (who may be menopausal at the moment due to the sheer amount of heat she giving off) and I having to sleep as if we were in a single bed! Lastly, in the morning we were rudely awoken by a disorientated cleaner who appeared to have little understanding of the subtlety.
Despite the various cons, our stay overall not unpleasant, with the bar on the top floor having beautiful views with charming service - despite the unnecessarily loud jazz band who seemed as sick of their music as we were!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrBrioche
Liverpool
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Three of us stayed in two rooms in December.
Before arrival I sent emails asking for single beds and renovated rooms. Each time the response was very quick and overall we were happy with the rooms. However, both rooms had a quirky talking point. In one room the bathroom had a window looking into the bedroom (or vice versa) - very odd. In the other room toilet was absolutely tiny and knees against the back of the door was uncomfortable and I am sure anyone taller than 6ft might have struggled to close the door.

The rooms were tidy, clean, bright, renovated with a reasonable amount of space for a few days break.

Reception desk staff were very accommodating, helpful and pleasant.
Chamber maids were always very cheerful and offered a "bonjour" each time we saw them in the corridor. Bar staff were affable and efficient.

The bar on floor 7 was a decent size with a great view from the balcony of the new gardens at the front of the hotel, music and dancing on the Friday night when it was fairly busy. It was a good place to meet up. Snacks were provided free including mini mozzarella and tomato and the best crisps I have ever eaten, which I established were wasabe - really really good.

One other downside was the occasional unpleasant drain-like smell around reception and in the lifts.

The hotel is ideally located within a short walk of the shops, promenade and the old town.

Overall the hotel was very good value for money, reasonably comfortable and the staff are a particular strong point.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank pierrebleu
Zurich
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights with my girlfriend in Nice on a weekend end of December.

I have stayed in more than 200 Hotels worldwide and this was the one with the Worst Bed ever. I could not sleep very well during the entire stay.
Even some youth hostels have better beds than this hotel.

I booked specially a superior room and was expecting something good. But it was a very small room with hardly any place to move. The Bathroom was big but old and stains all over the Bathtub and Wash basin.
The Wine Glasses in the room were not washed properly. We asked for new ones.
This should not happen in a 4 Star Hotel.

There is no King or Queen Size Bed in the entire Hotel. That is what the arrogant Receptionist at the Hotel told me. Only thing they offered was that they would tie the twin beds together. Which did not help much.

Did not eat at the Hotel, since there are plenty of nice places around.
The only good thing about the hotel is the exterior and the location. It is walking distance to the Center and Beach.

Very disappointing. Will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smilingleo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I recently spent 5 days at this hotel and was very pleased. I had a nice, large room, very clean. I have to say that some of my fellow travelers did not have the same accommodations, so I would check my room and not be afraid to ask for a change. That being said, the breakfast was very nice and the location was very convenient to the old town and the beach. Just a few blocks away. They were doing construction in front of the hotel, but that should be done by now, and the result will be a very beautiful park.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NDK123
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We wanted a hotel near the old quarter of Nice and our travel agent at FNAC in Paris suggested the Grand Hotel Aston. A perfect choice. The hotel is right on the newly opened green space with a beautiful choreographed water fountain that covers the space of a football field, and it is just across the street from the Tramway, as well as steps away from the old quarter of Nice. Our room was beautiful, perfectly taken care of and it was totally quiet. The breakfast was included and WIFI was free. The bar on the 7th. floor was perfect for a drink before heading out for dinner. We really, really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: We chose a room away from the street. It was totally quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank foodie78247
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

With American standards in mind this hotel was great. It was our 1st time to Europe and this was one of the top 3 places we stayed (out of 11) Highly recommended! Bathrooms are newly renovated and great compared to other accommodations in Europe. The beds were comfortable, food was good, breakfast had lots of choices.

The view from the pool/bar area is wonderful and highly recommended! We walked a lot from here as there is a lot to do. We LOVE the beach and were worried we would be disappointed since its rocks not sand but we were presently surprised as it wasn't that bad (I even fell asleep). Highly recommend you climb the stairs or take the elevator up the hill to see the gorgeous view across Nice and walk around during sunset as the view is breathtaking.

Room Tip: I saw some of the pics from other travelers where rooms need some help... no one in our party mentio...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple