“Nice hotel, great location”

Hotel Aston La Scala
Ranked #54 of 205 Hotels in Nice
“Nice hotel, great location”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel has been recently renovated, and the rooms are quite nice and comfortable. The elevators were being replace while we were there, so there was only one working elevator. It was not a problem except when groups were checking in. It is near the beaches, and the old town, with many restaurants nearby. Since the AC was not turned on ( early April) we had the windows open. The breeze was nice and cooled the room, but the the noise from outside awoke us every night. Seems at 4 AM groups of people coming home were extremely noisy, shouting and carrying on. This was the only problem, and may not happen during season, when there is AC. All in all, it was comfortable and adequate.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise A
GrandHotelAston, Responsable réception at Hotel Aston La Scala, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
We would like to thank you very much for your comments. The hotel is currently undergoing works on its elevators in order to make them more spacious, faster and more comforrtable. The first of the renovated lifts will be in service this week.

Robert Proksch
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my wife at the beginning of March during the carnival period. It is located near shopping & restaurant areas, bus stops to Monaco and Menton and carnival place. That was very conveninet. I heard the room was a bit old, but our room was new and enough specious with very big double bed. I think this hotel has been refurbishing the rooms, and actually, all the rooms on the 2nd floor seemed to be in refurbishment and closed. Wi-Fi was also comfortable.
The receptioniests were friendly. The average room rate was around 120 Euro per night during the carnival period, although I booked this room three months ago.
I can recommend this hotel and want to stay at the next visit to Nice.

Room Tip: Rooms in upper story are recommendable because of its nice views and quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank YacchanAmarone
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 3 January 2014

this is the worst 4 star experience I have ever had. and that includes Africa and the East. The room was shoddy with hollow beds that remindeed me of hammocks. Paint peeling off the walls and holes in the bathroom floor where a bidet used to be. the cleaner forgot to remove the emty sweet wrappers he/she enjoyed while trying to clean. It was just bad!

Room Tip: after complaining and asking for a better room, I was advised that the forth floor and up is better...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GysMulle
Wargrave, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We enjoyed the Grand Aston's New Year Dinner & entertainment on 31st Dec. Everything happened on the 7th floor with its outstanding views over the city. Proceedings began at 8pm with champagne and nibbles, then moved on to dinner at 9pm, which was accompanied by two very talented opera singers and a pianist who entertained the diners magnificently until the bells at midnight. Afterwards, there was a DJ and dance floor and we finished around 3am. The multi course meal was sumptuous and included beef, lobster and lots of other delicious food in large quantities. We had a table by the window and the views across the famous Plazza Messena were fantastic. The staff were attentive and friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed bringing in the new year at the Grand Aston.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy C
Worcs
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times, most recently in June 2013. Its location 5 mins away from the beach and the old town is perfect. It was undergoing a makeover when I last stayed and I was fortunate enough to get one of the new rooms which was excellent. Unfortunately the roof top pool was closed because of the work, but when it re-opens the sun terrace has great views over the Baie des Anges and the old town. Staff are friendly and helpful. Only 20 mins bus journey from the airport, with bus stop a few mins away from the hotel. I will stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkWorcs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My girlfriend and I spent another weekend down away from home on the beautiful Cote D'Azur. As expected the weather was pristine, with nothing but an eloquent breeze to ease of the nonetheless welcomed strong sunshine.
We decided to stay in this hotel as it has both a reputation and a perfect location, overlooking the beautiful Massena Square. We were greeted by the charming receptionist who offered to carry our luggage, and were told the directions to our room. This is arguably where the disappointments started. In hindsight after having spend 150 euros on the night in the hotel, we should have complained. Firstly, we decided that nothing would be more romantic than a cosy bath together to freshen up for the evening. We were horrorstruck to find that the plug was not working, and when I rang to call the receptionist, he could offer me no more help than an exasperated "non monsieur". The evening only got worse when I noticed dangerous large cracks across the walls. This forced me to bring to question not only the quality of what we were paying for, but our own safety: was the hotel wall about to collapse? Not only was the structure of the building of the hotel debatably lethal, but the beds were no better. When paying these amounts of money, I would expect at least a double bed, and if that, a bed that does not form a neck-breaking crevasse when expressing love to my girlfriend. Furthermore, the bed sheets undid themselves, resulting in my girlfriend (who may be menopausal at the moment due to the sheer amount of heat she giving off) and I having to sleep as if we were in a single bed! Lastly, in the morning we were rudely awoken by a disorientated cleaner who appeared to have little understanding of the subtlety.
Despite the various cons, our stay overall not unpleasant, with the bar on the top floor having beautiful views with charming service - despite the unnecessarily loud jazz band who seemed as sick of their music as we were!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrBrioche
Liverpool
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Three of us stayed in two rooms in December.
Before arrival I sent emails asking for single beds and renovated rooms. Each time the response was very quick and overall we were happy with the rooms. However, both rooms had a quirky talking point. In one room the bathroom had a window looking into the bedroom (or vice versa) - very odd. In the other room toilet was absolutely tiny and knees against the back of the door was uncomfortable and I am sure anyone taller than 6ft might have struggled to close the door.

The rooms were tidy, clean, bright, renovated with a reasonable amount of space for a few days break.

Reception desk staff were very accommodating, helpful and pleasant.
Chamber maids were always very cheerful and offered a "bonjour" each time we saw them in the corridor. Bar staff were affable and efficient.

The bar on floor 7 was a decent size with a great view from the balcony of the new gardens at the front of the hotel, music and dancing on the Friday night when it was fairly busy. It was a good place to meet up. Snacks were provided free including mini mozzarella and tomato and the best crisps I have ever eaten, which I established were wasabe - really really good.

One other downside was the occasional unpleasant drain-like smell around reception and in the lifts.

The hotel is ideally located within a short walk of the shops, promenade and the old town.

Overall the hotel was very good value for money, reasonably comfortable and the staff are a particular strong point.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends