“Great location”

Hotel Aston La Scala
Ranked #49 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Rooms very nice and comfortable. Some renovations going on but nothing that created much of an inconvenience. Elevator being renovated which slowed down our group at checkout but other than that it was a great hotel. Near Old Town and an easy walk to the beach. Bathroom was very spacious and updated. Buffet breakfast had a great selection. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor facing Old Town has great views and rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sbmorg01
GrandHotelAston, Responsable réception at Hotel Aston La Scala, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

We would like to thank youi very much for your comments, it is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Regarding the renovation works on our elevators, the first one will be in service this week. We apologize for the slowdown and thank you for your patience.

Robert Proksch
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel has been recently renovated, and the rooms are quite nice and comfortable. The elevators were being replace while we were there, so there was only one working elevator. It was not a problem except when groups were checking in. It is near the beaches, and the old town, with many restaurants nearby. Since the AC was not turned on ( early April) we had the windows open. The breeze was nice and cooled the room, but the the noise from outside awoke us every night. Seems at 4 AM groups of people coming home were extremely noisy, shouting and carrying on. This was the only problem, and may not happen during season, when there is AC. All in all, it was comfortable and adequate.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Denise A

We would like to thank you very much for your comments. The hotel is currently undergoing works on its elevators in order to make them more spacious, faster and more comforrtable. The first of the renovated lifts will be in service this week.

Robert Proksch
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my wife at the beginning of March during the carnival period. It is located near shopping & restaurant areas, bus stops to Monaco and Menton and carnival place. That was very conveninet. I heard the room was a bit old, but our room was new and enough specious with very big double bed. I think this hotel has been refurbishing the rooms, and actually, all the rooms on the 2nd floor seemed to be in refurbishment and closed. Wi-Fi was also comfortable.
The receptioniests were friendly. The average room rate was around 120 Euro per night during the carnival period, although I booked this room three months ago.
I can recommend this hotel and want to stay at the next visit to Nice.

Room Tip: Rooms in upper story are recommendable because of its nice views and quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank YacchanAmarone
Reviewed 3 January 2014

this is the worst 4 star experience I have ever had. and that includes Africa and the East. The room was shoddy with hollow beds that remindeed me of hammocks. Paint peeling off the walls and holes in the bathroom floor where a bidet used to be. the cleaner forgot to remove the emty sweet wrappers he/she enjoyed while trying to clean. It was just bad!

Room Tip: after complaining and asking for a better room, I was advised that the forth floor and up is better...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GysMulle
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We enjoyed the Grand Aston's New Year Dinner & entertainment on 31st Dec. Everything happened on the 7th floor with its outstanding views over the city. Proceedings began at 8pm with champagne and nibbles, then moved on to dinner at 9pm, which was accompanied by two very talented opera singers and a pianist who entertained the diners magnificently until the bells at midnight. Afterwards, there was a DJ and dance floor and we finished around 3am. The multi course meal was sumptuous and included beef, lobster and lots of other delicious food in large quantities. We had a table by the window and the views across the famous Plazza Messena were fantastic. The staff were attentive and friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed bringing in the new year at the Grand Aston.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times, most recently in June 2013. Its location 5 mins away from the beach and the old town is perfect. It was undergoing a makeover when I last stayed and I was fortunate enough to get one of the new rooms which was excellent. Unfortunately the roof top pool was closed because of the work, but when it re-opens the sun terrace has great views over the Baie des Anges and the old town. Staff are friendly and helpful. Only 20 mins bus journey from the airport, with bus stop a few mins away from the hotel. I will stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkWorcs
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My girlfriend and I spent another weekend down away from home on the beautiful Cote D'Azur. As expected the weather was pristine, with nothing but an eloquent breeze to ease of the nonetheless welcomed strong sunshine.
We decided to stay in this hotel as it has both a reputation and a perfect location, overlooking the beautiful Massena Square. We were greeted by the charming receptionist who offered to carry our luggage, and were told the directions to our room. This is arguably where the disappointments started. In hindsight after having spend 150 euros on the night in the hotel, we should have complained. Firstly, we decided that nothing would be more romantic than a cosy bath together to freshen up for the evening. We were horrorstruck to find that the plug was not working, and when I rang to call the receptionist, he could offer me no more help than an exasperated "non monsieur". The evening only got worse when I noticed dangerous large cracks across the walls. This forced me to bring to question not only the quality of what we were paying for, but our own safety: was the hotel wall about to collapse? Not only was the structure of the building of the hotel debatably lethal, but the beds were no better. When paying these amounts of money, I would expect at least a double bed, and if that, a bed that does not form a neck-breaking crevasse when expressing love to my girlfriend. Furthermore, the bed sheets undid themselves, resulting in my girlfriend (who may be menopausal at the moment due to the sheer amount of heat she giving off) and I having to sleep as if we were in a single bed! Lastly, in the morning we were rudely awoken by a disorientated cleaner who appeared to have little understanding of the subtlety.
Despite the various cons, our stay overall not unpleasant, with the bar on the top floor having beautiful views with charming service - despite the unnecessarily loud jazz band who seemed as sick of their music as we were!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple