“Friendly hotel in perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Massena Nice

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Massena Nice
Ranked #25 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Wexford
“Friendly hotel in perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

One could chose this hotel for its location alone in a lovely street in Nice , close to the sea front, markets and the Old Town but there are many other advantages, mainly its wonderful staff who are helpful both to groups and individuals; aiding with directions, recommending restaurants, arranging taxis and even returning promptly items left behind - and arrange a day on one of the private beaches. The rooms vary which is a pleasure from the sameness of boxes that one gets in a more modern hotel. If a view over the street is required, one must must accept a certain level of noise but its worth it to watch the world go by! And there are the alternative of quieter rooms with less exciting views..Excellent breakfast but no facilities for other meals but who needs that when they are a myriad of restuarants on the doorstep. Having stayed there with groups on a number of occassions over the past eight years, we would definitely return again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

This hotel is advertised as a 4star hotel although from the facilities, decor and room this felt more like a 2-3 star hotel.

The foyer is nice and misleading - once into the lift on the way up to the room, it becomes apparent that the rest of the hotel is quite outdated and a little run-down.

The bathroom in my room was new although had not been cleaned properly - as I was only staying one night I cleaned the the bath myself.
The decor of the room and furniture is very out of date and looks more like a B&B in the countryside than slick hotel in the centre of Nice.
My room was by the lift so was very noisy with guests returning from a late night out.

The location is fantastic - there is no restaurant at the hotel (24hr room service but no menu in the room) but plenty around and an easy walk to Vieux Nice, Promenade des Anglais and the designer stores.
The staff were very helpful: I was EUR 40 short for my taxi to Nice and the manager lent me the money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Adelaide, SA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

We were so happy to have chosen the Massena for our recent stay in Nice. Right from the time we arrived after midnight, we were welcomed and made to feel so at home. All the staff are so very helpful & friendly. The decor of the property is gorgeous, very funky but in very good taste.
Our room was fantastic, beautifully decorated, large, quiet at night time, seperate toilet to the rest of the bathroom which was handy.
Buffet breakfast was great, many choices, good coffee, friendly staff.
Really good location, easy walk to the old town, markets, main street, restaurants, bars, cafes, shopping, about 10 minute walk to the main train station and 5 minutes to the bus station. Very central.
We will definately return to stay at the Massena next time we are in Nice and highly recommend others to stay there also.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank merryl42
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

Though the location is excellent, the room are tiny, shabby and very worn, and the service is atrocious. Though I was supposed to be given a double room to share with a friend, the room we were given contained only one bed (made up of two twins pushed together). When I complained, the clerk basically shrugged and said they could move the beds apart about an inch (because they were attached to a single headboard/side table unit), but that was all that could be done. It was only through the intervention of our tour guide that we were able to get a slightly larger room with space for two separate beds. Even then, the room was ugly and rundown, with lumpy pillows, a single sheet and an old, worn, stained blanket on the bed, that made you want to take a shower after sleeping in it. The a/c did not function, there were no washcloths or sufficient towels in the awkwardly configured bathroom, and no internet access in the room (even after I went downstairs to retrieve the password because they would not give it out over the phone). The staff acted like it was a big deal to fulfill even the mildest request. This place is a huge rip-off, trading solely on its good location and the deals it makes with tour companies. Don't stay here if you have a choice.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank 32655Lisa
Palm Desert, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Hotel Massena in Nice was beautifully located, the staff very helpful and the breakfasts good. Included in our Grand Circle cruise of Burgundy (Nice to Macon), it was a great start to our once-in-a-lifetime trip. Grand Circle reserved up-graded rooms for us.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank krbPalmDesert_CA
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had a very nice stay at this hotel. Location is excellent right between the old and new part of Nice, the service provided by the staff is professional and swift, neat rooms, the breakfast buffet a heaven (this is where many hotels fail) and the price performance makes this a hotel we really can recommend. I'll gladly stay here when visiting Nice next time! /P&T from Sweden

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Portlaoise, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed here in July 2010 for a quick break (2 nights) after spending time looking around and see what looked well and was in a good location within the city we decided on here. When we arrived we were very impressed the hotels was in a great location and it looked really smart. We checked in and headed for our room, as soon as the bedroom door opened we couldn't believe how small and shabby the room looked, it was strange the bathroom looked great but the room it self was poor. After a quick look around i was sure we had got the wrong room, surely this was a standard room. I booked a privilege room, the web site said it was bigger had balcony etc. So off I went to reception full sure I'd get 'Oh sorry sir, we gave you the wrong room' but that wasn't the case, it was 'that's a privilege room' no effort to fix the problem (by the way it was mid week and there wasn't a lot of people in there so they would have had empty rooms)

Back to the room I went and thought I'd just live with it as we were only there for a couple of nights and to be honest it was just a place to sleep, we'd planned of making the best of our short time there by being out a lot.

I wasn't back long when there was a knock on the door 'Room Service' I thought here we go, we are getting to the room we booked, again no, 'Sorry sir I didn't stock your mini bar' I said its ok just leave it without the stock and away the house keeper went.

We needed internet access for work reason, check mails at night etc, but night one the net was down, when I phoned I was just told its down and might be fixed within the next day or two, next day just after lunch it was back. In the mean time we had to head out and find a place to do a few mins work, it was a pain, but it happens.

When I went to check out I was presented with a bill for the room and drinks from the mini bar, I hadn't used it was empty when we got the room and stayed that way for our two nights. I explained this and the drinks were deleted from the bill. Problem one solved, I also explained that the room was pre-paid a bit of funny looks and shuffle paper later it was 'Oh yes thats right' I then again said I wasn't happy with the room. Nothing, no sorry sir just a blank smile and nod.

After a few days back in Ireland I got a mail from the hotel looking for feed back on my stay and I completed it, along the line of what I've said here, but again no response. So the only way I can describe Hotel Massena is a disappointment. We won't be back, what a shame it looks so well from outside!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple