“Winter break in Nice”

Reviewed 2 January 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Andrew V
Bernadette D, Hotel Manager at Mercure Nice Centre Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

There are newer reviews for Mercure Nice Centre Notre Dame

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The rooms are surprisingly small and dreary, with old, faded carpets, plastic curtains and fixed windows... The installations are pretty wonky, as our mini-fridge didn't work, we had to call someone to get the thermostat to work, and the bathrooms are obviously old. The walls are terribly thin as well, so look forward to hearing the conversations of anyone and everyone in the corridor, as well as the TVs of your room-neighbors. It can get really noisy at night, on top of all the cars honking all night long...

Fortunately, the hotel is located in the heart of Nice, by a big shopping street with many good restaurants and walking-distance from many sights. Service is all right, fortunately. Beyond that, I honestly cannot understand how this hotel can be rated four stars!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlexYufeng

Dear Guest,
You have taken the time to give us your opinion about your stay in our hotel, and we thank you.

We are sorry that the room did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.

We try everyday to ensure the quality level to meet your expectations and earns your trust when you next stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you shortly in one of the hotels of the Mercure network.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Seriously I know rooms are small in European hotels I've stayed in a few, but this one wins, smallest room award, bedroom and bathroom dated and dirty, did I mention small. Breakfast very average, location was alright, I'd probably look elsewhere

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tartyone
Bernadette D, Hotel Manager at Mercure Nice Centre Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Guests,

We are very sorry that the room and the breakfast did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.

Be assured thatt he necessary corrective measures have already been taken to ensure that the quality level meets your expectations and earns your trust when you next stay with us.
In our hotel we have many rooms and moste of them are quite big, some of them have got a terrace as well.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was my first stay at the city center Mercure, conveniently located 3-1/2 blocks down the well-lit pedestrian and tram Avenue Notre Dame from the downtown train station (walk to the left as you exit the station down the hill past the taxi stand to the light and turn right; as you reach, the church, the hotel is to the left across the street).

I booked late and only a "privilege" room was available for €209, but as an Accor A Club member, I was upgraded to a terrace room overlooking Notre Dame church, a beautiful night sight. My spacious room had all the luxuries you would expect from a top Mercure unit (which included the 8th floor bar, although I did not stop there). The real treat was an incredible 2 kilo pillow made of a memory foam that was somehow simultaneously both firm and soft that supported the full weight of your head without feeling like anything was there. Kudos to Mercure for exceeding expectations in bedding.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to give us your views on your stay in our hotel.

My team and I are very grateful for your remarks. They will encourage us to maintain our efforts so that the services we provide for you fully meet your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you shortly in Nice or in one of the hotels of the Mercure network.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The location of the hotel is a 10/10. Tram line and taxi stand are just outside the hotel. Promenade D'anglais, train station and restaurants are all just minutes away (on foot). The rooms and bathrooms are a bit old. However I was disappointed to know that the reception staff was not very comfortable to converse in english.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have private balconies
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aditya772013
Bernadette D, Hotel Manager at Mercure Nice Centre Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear guests,

All the reception team speak english, May be you had an undestanding with others.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was expecting a pleasant stay at this hotel being part of the Mercure chain. My expectations were shot down minutes after entering the building by the obstinate woman on the front desk. Due to the overzealous nature of my bank they turned off my debit card after seeing foreign transactions on my account. Upon checking in for my fully prepaid room they asked for a card to guarantee extras, something I don't like to do seeing how I don't use 'extras'. I explained this but was met with a stony faced response. I relented and provided my card which of course was declined due to the bank. I was met with a demand for 200 euros in cash which I refused. The woman was very snippy and unhelpful and only upon request to her supervisor, who was nearby, did I get to explain anything. Seeing how the hotel already had my money for four nights of room and breakfast it didn't seem unreasonable to ask to be able to get into my room to call my bank in private, although was treated like they were doing me some special favour !! The room was a good size, that was the one plus. It had no desk to set up my laptop, only a small round table, no socket to plug in any appliances, causing me to have to pull out furniture to unplug the mini bar fridge. The bathroom was fairly Spartan with the toilet strangely hidden away the other side of the bedroom in a cubby hole by the front door, something I only found by accident. Breakfast was rather lacking in choice and despite running until 10am (supposedly) many choices were missing by 9:15. The staff, who failed to offer any greetings or help, started clearing away everything well before 10 as well without so much as a word. The hotel is situated about half way between the SNCF station and the old town, approximately a 10 minute walk to each, just off what appears to be Nice's main shopping street, filled with the usual characterless shopping chains. For the same price a hotel by the old town would have been much more enjoyable. For a cheaper rate one could stay by the station, further away from the old town but easily accessible using Nice's clean and efficient tram line. I would not recommend this hotel and certainly do not plan on staying in it again. A pleasant friendly staff would have mitigated the other faults to this hotel but this was noticeably absent.

Room Tip: In another hotel !!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Bernadette D, Directeur général at Mercure Nice Centre Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear guest,
First of all, for thank for having taken the time to give us your opinion about your stay in our hotel.

We are sorry that the service did not meet your expectations, and we beg you to accept our sincerest apologies.

Be assured that the necessary corrective measures have already been taken to ensure that the quality level meets your expectations and earns your trust when you next stay with us.

BernadetteD.