“a good bargain”

Ranked #19 of 204 Hotels in Nice
London, United Kingdom
“a good bargain”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Le Grimaldi is quite a delightful hotel, less than 15 minutes walk from Gare Nice Ville, and 10 minutes to the Promenade des Anglais. I have never stayed in a purported 4* hotel before, and understand that the rating system can vary widely. Perhaps this is a 3* hotel, judging by the previous places I have stayed in.

Our room was a "classique", which included an en-suite bathroom, with the toilet in a separate room, a walk-in wardrobe (with sewing kit, shoe shine polish and safe), a TV, a fridge with one 75cl Evian, a desk and a chair with a foot rest. Our bed was 2 single beds pushed together, but with a duvet and mattress cover large enough for both. We had a small balcony, facing the inner courtyard. The room was very French countryside, and was quite comfortable. We each had a bedside table and lamp.

The staff were all attentive, and very helpful. They all speak English rather well, and greet you everytime you walk by. The reception was also manned 24 hours a day.

Breakfast was served from 7.30-10.30, and was continental in style (fruit, pastries, cereal, toast, baguettes, yoghurt, fragrant teas, eggs and a selection of hot drinks). Relaxed atmosphere. There was also a bar, at the rue Grimaldi entrance, with a comfortable lounge style area, again decorated in rustic French colours.

The negative points were that our air conditioning dripped every so often, not very audibly and not onto our belongings but could catch us off guard. We also had only one bottle of water for the duration of our stay, and were refused free tea/coffee services in our room as it was "only a classique". The staff informed us that they could provide us with hot water for free, but that we had to buy our own tea and coffee. The lift also only fit 2 people, each with hand luggage and a suitcase, but was one of those charming old style lifts. There were small wallpaper cracks. Each of these things separately would not have been a huge bother, but together prevent me from giving an "excellent" rating.

To its credit, the hotel did offer many services (dry cleaning, offers to arrange hair salon or spa visits, a 23 euro deal with a private beach) and is very well located. There is an Intermarche on the same road, towards the beach, and we were allowed to keep our own food in the fridge.

I enjoyed my stay here - it was nothing very fancy but was adequate for our needs and provided a comfortable place to stay during our holiday.

I also booked this hotel through olotel.com, and thus got 50% off and free breakfast. Good tip for anyone wanting some luxury but on a budget.

Room Tip: I booked this hotel through olotel.com, and thus got 50% off and free breakfast. All rooms are quie...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
DirectionGrimaldi, Directeur général at Hotel Le Grimaldi by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Osalinda,

I'm happy to read your satisfaction with your comments on Trip Advisor and many thanks for that.
I hope receive you another time for a new experience in Nice with us.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

stayed between 25th and 29th july
the hotel itself is a very nice and comfortable place to stay, the room was adequate with a wardrobe and safe,a fridge and tv ,a very quaint balcony overlooking the church across the road the air conditioning in the room was great especially when you had been out most of the day in the hot sun
the breakfast was your typical continental style breakfast which was more than enough to start the day,and you were always greeted in the morning with a smile from all members of staff.
the staff on reception were always polite and nothing was ever a problem for them.
i would not hesitate to book this hotel again if and when my wife and i return to nice

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time past sharing your opinion abour your recent stay at Le Grimaldi with us.
It is a pleasure to read your satisfaction here.
Don't hesitate to contact me for a further stay at Le Grimaldi. The staff and myself are pleased welcoming you with your wife for have a new and better souvenir of our hotel.

Sincerly yours,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was our 7th stay in Nice and unfortunately this hotel was the poorest we have stayed in as it was spoilt by petty problems, hopefully it was just our room. The room itself was pleasant with a small balcony and as most reviewers say, the position is excellent, close to the Promenade and many restaurants close by. We had a very small bathroom and you couldn't reach the loo paper when sitting on the loo! The rack for the towels was so high that you need to be at least 5'5" to reach them. The safe was at an angle in the wardrobe which made access very awkward. Neither of us eat meat so breakfast when abroad is always cheese but on this occasion there was only a very boring processed type and in France with all the wonderful cheeses available. Braakfast was included in our room rate so we couldn't go elsewhere. We had been restricted when booking as it was immediately before Iron man and the Tour de France so room availability very limited but we won't be going back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CMH1935
Dear Guest,

I am really sorry reading your unsatisfaction about your recent stay at Le Grimaldi. We work for the pleasure of our guests when they are staying with us and I apologise for your experience.
I hope welcoming you a second time at Le Grimaldi for a better souvenir. Don't hesistate contact me for a further venue in Nice.

Cumbria
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have just spent 5 nights at this hotel.
It was in a good location, 10 mins walk to the Old Town, 5 mins to the beach and 5 mins to the main shopping street and yet was in a quiet side street - an ideal combination.
There isn't really anything to complain about. The hotel was nothing fancy, but we didn't expect it to be at this price - hotel room prices in Nice are high. The room was clean, in good condition, and had a large comfortable bed with good quality bed linen. It was also quiet, so we got a good nights sleep although the A/C only just cooled the room down enough as it was very warm outside.
I think we were upgraded to a superior room as it was slightly larger and had a fridge - very useful.
I have to say that the Hotel's website makes it look more upmarket than it actually is - though I'm sure the same could be said about most hotel websites.
In summary, the hotel was adequate and we had a pleasant stay. We will definitely return to Nice, but would plan our accommodation a little more carefully (and further in advance!) next time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DirectionGrimaldi, Directeur général at Hotel Le Grimaldi by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time past sharing your experience at Le Grimaldi on Trip Advisor.
Your criticisms are welcome and help us to improve us on a daily basis. We hope to welcome you again to be allowed a more pleasant memory.
Yours,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We booked into this hotel at short notice after changing accomodation. The Grimaldi turned out to be perfect for our stay, located between the Railway station and the beach.
we had a superior room which was everything we expected. Large in size newly redecorated soundproofed and clean.Everyting worked as it should.
The staff were extemely helpful. i would like to mention David in particular for his help.
The negative about this hotel is the extremely small lift which would struggle to accomodate two people and their cases.

Room Tip: Superior room on the 1st or second floor
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DirectionGrimaldi, Directeur général at Hotel Le Grimaldi by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Customer,

I'm so happy to read your satisfaction about your stay at Le Grimaldi Nice Centre.
Thank you so much for having time to share your opinion on Trip Advisor.
We are pleased welcoming you another time in Le Grimaldi and all the staff enjoy your further stay with us.

Guillaume Neugnot
Boston
Reviewed 22 July 2013

It was our second stay in this hotel - we stayed in 2007 and unfortunately booked here again. My impression from the first time was tepid, even then it was not a memorable place, but we thought it would be an acceptable choice for an overnight stay for the next day departure from Nice airport. We were coming from an excellent hotel in Bordighera, Grand Hotel del Mare, and what a shock we survived when we checked into Le Grimaldi!

The rate was only slightly lower than in Grand Hotel del Mare which was 30 minutes drive away to Italy. This time Le Grimaldi managed to astonish with getting from bad to worse in every aspect of the hotel hospitality, but especially with the extremely poor cleanliness. While the building's exterior still looked attractive, just stepping inside and progressing to the room makes one's heart sink from shabbiness and dreadful misery of the hotel's upkeep.

We were assigned room 55 on the 5th floor, and when the tiny elevator first took me there, I thought I arrived at some housekeeping floor - the door opened into a narrow passage in almost total darkness. Well, the light got turned in a few seconds and then the VERY DIRTY carpet greeted the inmate.

The dark brown carpet, all stained and worn out made a health-hazard impression. In the USA one would have a problem to find such carpet in the cheapest motel, and here it was rather an expensive 4-star hotel in a seaside resort elegant city.

The room was quite small and very poorly furnished, with an orphanage-style cast-iron table and chair, polyester blanket and thin bed and linen. I hesitated to touch anything, so old and completely dilapidated "furnishings" looked and felt. The balcony had no chairs.

How we regretted that we did not stay in Bordighera! It would be much better to stay in Grand Hotel del Mare for slightly more and then to drive to the airport, which would be about 20 minutes more overall, sparing ourselves a great displeasure of staying in this seemingly poverty-stricken property.

On Saturday night September 8, 2012 there was a great carnival in Nice, the town was festive, and it was the thought of returning to the hotel that aggravated the mood somewhat. I felt lucky that we stayed only for one night. It was probably one of the most expensive hotels I've ever stayed considering what you've got for your money.

Needless to say, the car parking was in the public garage for the additional pay, and breakfast was extra - we did not take due to an exorbitant price tag while numerous cafes are abound just outside of the hotel's door. But above all it was the souvenir of the dirty stained carpet in the room that still makes me shiver with disgust; what a nightmare in the nice Nice!

For the sake of objectivity, here are the positives about the hotel and they prevent me from giving it a rating of "terrible" as although our stay was extremely disappointing in terms of comforts and promise of a 4-star hotel, it was not disastrous, just very poor:
- The location was relatively quiet;
- The bathroom was surprisingly pleasant compared to everything else in this hotel; it had a bathtub, was nicely tiled and looked sparkling; it was the only thing qualified for a 4-star standard;
- WiFi worked well;
- The room had a minibar/fridge; the closet space was useful. The hotel is right in the city, not far from Negresco and one does not need a car to come there (but if one has a car, like we did, there is absolutely no reason to stay there).

All things considered, I would never recommend this establishment because it is simply severely overpriced. Years ago they also claimed that the renovation would be forthcoming, but all we experienced was the deterioration.

Avoid.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel at all.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gradiva
Dear.Guest,

Thank you for share your experience about our hotel on Trip Advisor.
I apologize for don't have upgrade your expectations and I'm so sorry about the souvenir of our establishment.
New refurbishings are previous this year and in 2014 for have a new hotel for the next summer. I will expect that you offer another chance to have a great stay in Nice with us.

Guillaume Neugnot
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My mother in law and I arrived at Le Grimaldi after travelling to Nice via train. We stayed here from 03/07/13 - 07/07/13.

Firstly the welcome was warm and each member of staff that we spoke with on front desk spoke English- this was very helpful for us! We were taken to room 43.

Just to advise that they have a very small lift- only two people at a time. When you arrive and depart, you will need to go in the lift individually with your luggage.

Our room was quite small but sufficient enough and the bathroom was a good size. There was a lovely view from the hotel balcony.

Unfortunately we had to move rooms as our air conditioning unit didn't work- at this time of year, air conditioning is a must!! We informed the staff on the evening of 04/07/13 and they advised that we would be moved to a room with fully functioning air conditioning in the morning.

We were moved the following morning as promised to room 46 which is a much larger room! This was a suite and suited us much better as there was more storage space and the bathroom was even larger. I had a lovely bath in this room. There was always plenty of hot water and the rooms were cleaned daily.

The staff were always there to help us and we felt looked after in this hotel.

The fact that the hotel offers free WIFI also made our stay much better. We could easily communicate with loved ones without worrying about the cost of doing so.

The breakfast was served in good time- I think from about 07:30-09:30. There was a little confusion about where to 'check in' for breakfast as quite often there was no one at the desk as we walked through. But we waited and they signed us in and we continued on.

There is a smallish table on the right hand side as you walk into the room with various items of food from eggs (you boil them yourself in a neat little egg boiler machine), cold hams, meats, brioche, pan chocolate, croissants, bread (you make the toast yourself), various jams and honey, plus your cold drinks (orange juice, water).

We sat down and we are always offered tea or coffee to start.

My main points about breakfast are:

I felt that the table should have been placed on the left hand side of the room (whilst we went up for food, we often felt 'in the way' and found it difficult to manoeuvre whilst standing there). On the left hand side of the room, there would be more space to queue and obtain food easily.

Quite often the large water bottle was almost empty and as I don't tend to drink tea or coffee in the morning, perhaps having small individual bottles of water at the tables could work?

The toaster was often set too high- we had to get someone to adjust it as we couldn't fathom how to work the thing! Quite often the toast ended up exceptionally well done!

The tea was rather weak- my mother in law had to use two teabags per pot

Overall we felt we had a good, comfortable stay at Le Gremaldi and would definitely come here again.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the suite in this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time past sharing your opinion about your stay at Le Grimaldi Nice Centre.
The staff and I are very happy to read your satisfaction of our offer and are really enjoyed taht you will come back another time for a new good experience with us.
We are at your disposal for your further stay in Nice.

Directeur