“The perfect getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 204 Hotels in Nice
lanark
“The perfect getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

This hotel was perfect in every sense of the word. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and the facilities were basic and clean yet of a high standard. Delicious breakfasts were served every morning in the foyer and the Rose Petal confiture on the fresh croissants was heavenly.

The location makes it great for walking into town or the seafront. The only thing I didn't like was that it was 2 single beds stuck together instead of a double bed but it's not like such a small thing could deter the fun of being in NICE for the weekend.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone unreservedly. We had room 61 which you took the old rickety lift up to. It was at the back of the hotel and very quiet. I'd love to go again sometime in the summer.

• Liked — Clean and friendly
  • Disliked — single beds stuck together
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

I was looking for a place to stay by myself for 24hrs in Nice until my husband arrived. So required somewhere decent and secure and where I could easily walk to waterfront, old town & shops. I was very pleasantly surprised with Hotel Grimaldi (room No. 7). The biggest bathroom I've ever had in France (I love a deep bath) with a big separate shower. My room was large (for a French hotel) with sofa, writing desk, walk-in wardrobe, and a cute little balcony overlooking an old church. It's not your generic type hotel but if you are looking for something with character stay here. I would have no hesitation to stay here again

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — I struggled to fit my one suitcase and my (slim) self in the very tiny lift and nearly fell over my case exiting - a staff member just watched my struggle and turned away
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Skibunny1850
Torino
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2009

Very nice hotel, close to the Promenade, the Old City and main shopping streets. There are many restaurants around the hotel, five/ten minutes by foot. The hotel has not a private parking, but there are two pubblic parkings near the hotel (17 or 24 €/day).
We were 2 adults and 1 child (1 year old), we booked a Classic room, but the hotel upgraded us to a Superior one. The room was nice and large (for EU standards), with a sofa and relax area. The bathroom was very large, too, with the window in the shower... The hotel give us the baby-cot free of charge. The breakfast (10 €/pax) was very good. I will come back there in my next stay in Nice.

• Liked — location, large room
  • Disliked — small area for breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank etnicadanza
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

We are a couple in our thirties from Ireland who stayed in the Le Grimaldi in August. The hotel is very central and just a short walk from the main sites. As the hotel is on a side street it is quiet at night. We found the staff very helpful and courteous. The hotel was very clean. The breakfast was in a small room at the reception area and was typically French. Overall really enjoyed staying at the Le Grimaldi

• Liked — Friendly and relaxed
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Halifax, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

We stayed for 4 nights in November 2008 and really liked this hotel. It's made up of two buildings joined by a tiny courtyard. There are two entrances - we stayed in the building on the Rue Maccarani in a room on the second floor. This room had a little balcony and a great view of the pretty church opposite. The room was a reasonable size with a really nice modern bathroom. The standard of cleanliness every day was impressive - the room was spotless.

We were very impressed by the friendly, pleasant staff - they were always helpful and smiling and made us feel very welcome. They really make the hotel feel a nice place to be. Breakfast was a typical continental selection and very fresh and plentiful.

The location of the hotel is good - just the right distance from the bustling shopping streets and the promenade to be quiet at night, but easily accessible to everywhere of interest. There are a number of restaurants nearby and also shops if you want to buy water, wine etc. There is a fridge in the room so it was good to be able to purchase some supplies and the hotel staff offered to open bottles of wine if required - there's no stuffiness about only buying drinks from the bar.

I would definitely stay here again. It's not luxurious but its definitely not budget basic. I would highly recommend it for a very good value and enjoyable stay.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and the staff
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2008

This hotel was absolutely wonderful. We booked our vacation at the last minute, so I was terrified we would end up in an over-priced dump. This hotel was reasonably priced for high season (only $144 Euros per night!) and highly exceeded our expectations.
We had a lovely rooftop view from a sweet little balcony (I think you have to request a room with a balcony). It was very small but I was told it was small when I booked. The room is small, but I was expecting much smaller for the price, and the bathroom and closet were huge by European standards. We only stayed a few nights before boarding a long cruise, and there was plenty of room for our massive amount of baggage.
The location is excellent. Everything is in walking distance and the area seemed very safe. The staff is pleasant and friendly and speak better English than any American I know. (David is the greatest!) Their restaurant recommendations were superb. They even had free internet access and computers for your use.
Some reviews have mentioned poor cleanliness, but we thought the hotel was spotless! We stayed several nights with no complaint! The lift is small, but at least they have one. Again, we had loads of baggage for a long cruise and no problem.
This was my first trip to Europe and Le Grimaldi made the first nights of our trip some of the very best.

• Liked — Staff, Location, Great Room with View
  • Disliked — Ask for an alarm clock in your room!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

I found this hotel through a referal on the Fodor's Travel message boards and I am very happy with my choice to stay here for 4 nights after a group tour ended.

The hotel is comprised of 2 Belle Epoque mansions and it is just lovely. Fortunately when I arrived I was told I would be upgraded and had a lovely room on the third floor facing the street with a view of the pretty church acros the street.

The room was spacious and the bathroom was spotlessly clean. There was a very nice breakfast selection in the small breakfast area set in the lobby.

The location was terrific for exploring both Old Town and New Town. The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

I would definitely stay at Le Grimaldi again!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family