“Not the usual Novotel finish” 3 of 5 bubbles

Novotel Nice Centre
Ranked #54 of 204 Hotels in Nice
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockholm, Sweden
“Not the usual Novotel finish”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My family and I are great Novotel fans after using them in Germany, Belgium and the Czech republic. Always a crisp feeling in interior design and breakfast restaurant. Now when we used them on their home turf I must say the impression was a bit worned. Quite a lot of cigarettes had been smoked on the premises... Service was very good though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind rewiew. We are delighted to inform you that our hotel is 100% non smoking area.

Thank you for your trust is Novotel brand and look forward to welcome you again soon

kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dana Point, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

While the front desk was very polite and professional, it doesn't make up for claustrophobicly small rooms, which are dated, cheaply furnished and not particularly clean. The hotel claims to be renovating, but that appears to mean only the room directly abutting the elevators on each floor. There is no meaningful lobby, and "Executive Level" means that you get free access to the mini-bar, which has been almost completely emptied before your arrival.

Think of this as more of a worn out Holiday Inn Express rather than as a 4 Star business hotel. It is located near the Acropolis Centre, if you have business there, but that small comfort. Look further if you're coming to Nice.

Room Tip: This is a pretty grim business trip hotel for short periods, don't plan to have a nice holiday h...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear M Waler T,
Thank you for the time spent for your review. I am truly sorry that the standards of our rooms did not entirely satisfy you. All our rooms have been renovated at latest in 2008 and they all are minimum of 25 m2; they are all equipped with different bed solutions in function of the needs of each guest, a relaxing area witha confortable sofa, an ergonomic desk, tea and coffee facilities, an electronic safe, high speed internet acess, 2 free water bottles every day, and a large bathroom with shower or bathtub, particularly appreciated by our guests with children. In order to always improve our services, it is true that we will start a new program of renovation at the begging of 2014, on the model of one of the rooms you had the chance to visit during your stay, and that I am happy to read you appreciate.
All our executive rooms have more than all complimentary drinks and treats of minibar, coffee nespresso machine, free and no limit Wi-Fi access, in the bathroom a well-being kit, 1 bathrobe and sleepers and an express check out on request.

all my staff is at your entire disposal on simple request during your stay to answer to your needs, do not hesitate to inform them of any disfonction you would meet in the future.
I sincerly hope that, despite theses issues, we will be welcome you again soon
kindest regards

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

As frequent visitors to France, Novotel is a brand we are quite familiar with and there is a certain amount of security in knowing what you are going to get from your stay. The Novotel Nice Centre isn't actually in the centre of Nice, but right behind the convention centre. There is also an ice rink and swimming pool complex directly across the road with a tram stop close by that'll take you to Old Nice in a matter of minutes.

We were happy enough with our room. It was a decent size with plenty of space for the two of us. The toilet was separate from the shower room. There was no wash basin in the toilet itself to wash your hands and you had to use the one in the shower room, so that might put some people off. Our room was facing the street and if you opened the window it was a little noisy, but you are in a busy, big city so what do you expect? Again perhaps request a room not on the street side if noise bothers you. It didn't affect me at all and I slept quite well.

We did have a bit of an issue our first night with the hot water in our shower, but a member of staff was up to use promptly to resolve the issue. He did get drenched in the process so I felt a little bad about that! The staff in general were really helpful and friendly. Service was a bit sluggish in the bar and avoid the house red wine. We tried both varieties and they were not good at all. I did try to order a mojito one evening and was told it couldn't be made, but a little while later some other guests were able to order cocktails and I'm not quite sure what that was about. Also tried to order room service another evening around 10pm, but was told the kitchen was closed.

There was wi-fi throughout the building and a little bit slow if you are trying to upload large files, but otherwise fine.

Breakfast was quite good, so if you get a deal that includes that take it! All in all, not quite as bad a hotel as some of the reviews make it out to be. Would it be my first choice in Nice? Probably not. Would I be happy to stay here again if attending an event at the convention centre? Yeah, I would.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sdublin4
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback herein, I am happy to read that your stay in our hotel met your expectations.
I have well-noted your comments regarding the bar and they have already been shared with all my staff in order to always provide to our clients the best service.
If you come again in Nice for our flower carnival from February 14th to march 4th 2014 or during the summer period, I will be happy to welcome you again.
Your sincerely,
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here during my first visit to Nice. We drove from Paris to Nice (which was pretty easy!) The Hotel is in a great spot for public transport. You can get the light rail trail that runs through the city just metres from the Hotel which can take you to the centre within minutes which was a massive time saver. The breakfast buffet is a small room and fills up very quickly. We parked across the street where Novotel guests receive a discounted rate. Our rental car got damaged at the back but lucky we had insurance ( be careful and mindful of where you park ) I would stay here on my next return to Nice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind rewiew. I am delighted to know that you have spent a nice stay with us inspite your car accident.
The full satisfaction of our clients is my main priority and I am happy to read that we entirelly answered to your expectations.

I look forward to welcome you again soon
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We have just returned from spending 3 very hot nights in the Novotel. Apparently the air con and heating are switched off during the mid season and the fact that it was unseasonably warm was just bad luck. Open the window was the advice, which we did, but the hotel is situated at a very busy interchange and the traffic noise all night is incredible. No fans were available despite the 27 degree heat in our room.
Apart from that the hotel is well situated for the tram into Nice which is cheap and runs every 4 or 5 minutes or close enough to walk along the tram route. The hotel pool was freezing despite the sunshine but it was attractive and well maintained. Hotel staff lovely and bilingual but they could not solve our problem, an alternative room that was offered was smaller and just as hot. Breakfast fine especially if you can get a good internet deal.

Room Tip: Avoid mid season when there is no heating or air con. Opt for a room at the back to avoid traffic no...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hello Oxfordians_13
I understand your disappointment on the nights spent in Novotel during this October month but allow me to inform you that at the approach of the winter, we chose a "comfortable" temperature between 21 and 23 ° to satisfy the largest number of our custumers. I thank you for this remark which will help me in my reflection to lower some degrees the temperature of rooms while keeping a comfort for the customers.
Bethesda, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Where to start. Priceline rated this a 4 start which is a total joke. It is located in a very non-pretty part of town, somewhat dirty and extremely out-dated. Front desk lady was nice but didn't understand priceline and the fact that we already paid for the room. So that took 20 mins to resolve. The rooms advertised non-smoking yet reeked of cigarettes. We called the manager to come confirm so we could change rooms and he said it smelled fine and handed us deodorizing spray but noted to please save some for other guests. The bed was on a slant so one of us was sleeping downhill all night. The advertised "rooftop" closes at 8. And isn't very appealing to begin with. The carpet had stains and cigarette burns. The AC in the rooms did not work well and the dial did nothing when trying to adjust. Overall a roach box. We also gave a card to the hotel for incidentals. It was voided and supposedly zeroed out. Upon return home we were told we were charged tax for the rooms because they forgot to do so. Again they don't get the fact that we bought on priceline and shouldn't be paying tax.

Room Tip: All rooms seem depressing and no good view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DCJONESEY
Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear guest,

I am sorry to read that, in spite all our implication, your stay in our hotel did not meet your expectations and that these issues affected your satisfaction during your stay in my hotel.
It is true that your check in took a little a bit longer than usual but it was because there was a misunderstanding concerning the rate you booked on priceline; My staff took the time to contact the agency with you and they confirmed us that you paid for the room and Vat but that the city taxes were an extra charge that should be paid on departure.
The location of the hotel is located at 1, 5 km from the old town (the heart of the city Centre of Nice and the Town Hall) from the port of Nice and of the sea. The tram situated just behind the hotel or a visit with the town blue bikes, they may be another way to discover the city of Nice.
Please be assured, that I will do my utmost to provide an appropriate follow up to all your other comments that have already been shared with my staff.
I hope that, despite these inconviniences, you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful city and we will have the pleasure to welcome you again

Best regards
Pierre Messe
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We booked the Novotel Nice Centre through a website, which presented the hotel quite nicely, thus we decided to give it a go. It is nicely located near a tram stop (approx. 3-5 min walk), which is pleasantly convenient.

CHECK-IN
Usually, hotels swipe your card for incidentals, so when we were asked for a credit card, it was no news to us. To charge us €300 for a room that is absolutely bland and -literally- nothing to break, I found it extortionate. Very disappointing that there was no explanation why the hotel has such a policy. Don't hurry to say that 'this is France, there's a language barrier...'. Everyone, literally everyone speaks good English in Nice. It is an international touristic destination, so such behaviour is not acceptable. We were told that the room is a Superior room at 6th floor (top floor), which created expectations. Mind that this is a 4-star hotel.

ROOM
Far from Superior... Awful view to the deserted exhibition centre, noisy air-conditioning, dirty carpet (hasn't been hoovered for ages). The toilet seat is located in a separate cabinet (yet it is that small), which is not suitable for the average, claustrophobic person. No access to a washing bin when in the small cabinet. There is no space, for example a shelf, to put your book, phone, iPad when you're done. The floor hasn't been mopped for ages as well.

SMELLY DRAINS
I couldn't even wash my hands... Each time the tap was running, a strong -particularly unpleasant odour- was coming out of the washing bin drains. The air extraction grills were all dusty and filthy. For a 4-star hotel, this is unacceptable.

BED & PILLOWS
Really uncomfortable mattress. No pillow choices. Current pillows are not really pillows...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AgileWolf
Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear M Wolf,

I am sorry to read that your stay experience in our hotel hotel did not meet your expectations and that these issues affected your stay in our hotel.

Please be assured, that we always do our utmost to provide the best service to our clients.
It is true that at the check in a pre-authorization is made on the credit card in order to guarantee the incidentals such as the bar, restaurant, parking etc.. The amount is calculated in function of the length of the stay of our guests, and it is automatically cancelled at their check out. We apologize if at the check in we did not explain it clearer. Concerning your disappointment about the room indeed, my staff put you on the last floor, on the quietest side of the hotel in order to make you spend a restful stay in our beautiful city, I sincerely regret that you did not appreciate this attention.
We will start a refurbishment program at the beginning of next year of our rooms. It is true that tastes and colours change quickly, and our rooms dating from 2008 may sometimes appear "old".
All our rooms are based on the Novotel standard, with toilets separated from the bathroom as we often welcome families that really appreciate this configuration. For your comfort, you can also find in each room an ergonomic desk and a night table to store your objects.

I do hope that, despite these issues, we will be able to welcome you again as a client of Novotel.

Pierre Messe