“Good Value Off the Beaten Path”
Review of Hotel Gounod Nice

Hotel Gounod Nice
Ranked #64 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Hotel Gounod Nice offered my family a good place to stay a few blocks from the beach. We rented a suite, which included one room with a queen size bed and one room with two twin beds. The beds were firm, as we found all the beds in the four places we stayed in France. The bathroom was well equipped with a hand-held shower in the tub, a bidet, sink and toilet. It was good size by French standards. Breakfast was included for us, since we stayed three nights. The croissants were fresh, the hot beverages were good, and the other items included cold and hot meats, yogurt, fruit (fresh apples cut and added to canned fruit) and scrambled eggs, served buffet style.

It is located about a ten minute walk from the Nice Ville train station, a twenty minute walk to Old Nice, and a fifteen minute walk to the beach. All the front desk people spoke good English and were polite and helpful.

Their sister hotel next door offers an indoor Jacuzzi and an outdoor, rooftop, "solar heated" pool available to Hotel Gounod guests, but which we did not explore.

If you are looking for an older but well maintained hotel, not in the most "touristy" section of town, which offers good value, try Hotel Gounod.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan_David11

Reviewed 21 April 2011

A bit disappointed would be how I would rate our stay at Hotel Gounod. It could have been really cute and fun, with a bit of extra work on management's part.
We were led to believe this was a 3 star hotel that was renovated but somewhat basic and not in the best part of Nice. They were right about basic and not the best location.
The outside of the building itself is cute - a classic old style south of France place with balconies and curlicues giving it lots of character. Unusually for Europe, the inside is worse than the outside. "Fawlty Towers" sprang to mind when we walked in - lugging our bags up the 6 or so steps. It wasn't the staff, they were pleasant enough and spoke English. It was the decor - tired, cheap and just wrong. Office style ceilings, a vending machine and a tacky bar in the lobby, cheap prints on the walls, ageing carpet and yuck tiles on the balcony. Very old lift (with an attitude problem we decided - it didn't seem to like coming to the 5th floor, and would start and stop with a sudden jerk, though it seemed to always be there when we wanted to go up fortunately). A bit of an 'old' smell in the halls and lobby. Insufficient hot water for the shower. Nice new fittings in the bathroom though. The french doors and windows were double glazed so our room on the 5th floor was quiet. It was as though they'd started to spend money on renovations then stopped. Breakfast, whilst not fantastic quality, was very ample, and good value for money"Speln. We didn't use the neighbouring "Splendid" hotel's spa facilities as the outside looked pretty ordinary when we walked past. We liked our balcony and on our last night had champagne and ice-cream up there and laughed about our stay - it was quirky and the staff were doing a good job in a bit of an 'old grande dame' place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cmsljoint
Reviewed 7 March 2011

A very nice hotel to stay in, at least in this season. We stayed there four nights. The only thing missing was a shower curtain! We stayed in a very big twinroom. nice furniture. Very good breakfast. Easy to walk to interesting places in Nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Murklan5
Reviewed 5 March 2011

How many years have I been staying at the Gounod? Can't remember! Must be at least 12, maybe more. The fact that I (who am difficult to please) continue to return tells you all you need to know.

This latest stay was totally perfect. My room was immaculate, the Manager and every member of staff I encountered were friendly and charming. The buffet breakfast was as good as ever. Wi-fi (paid for) in my room was lightning fast; having the computer to use in the foyer is a bonus, as is having a refrigerator in the room. My room which I stay in each year has two full-length French windows so is airy. The spaciousness of the room with its adjacent entry area and wardrobe means it doesn't feel at all cramped.
The hotel's leaflet suggests that some rooms are decorated in a 'trendy', 'boutique hotel' style; my preferred room is more traditional, and just lovely.
Multiple TV channels are a further benefit.
My sleep was never disturbed.
I love Nice, and recognise that there are many, many 3* hotels there, but I simply wouldn't even THINK of staying anywhere other than the Gounod. So delightful, so ease to get to, so well placed for exploring the city.
The Manager and staff are truly some of the most delightful anywhere in the world. The hotel has great character - and benefits from its association with the adjacent Hotel Spendid, where one can access its many additional facilities (some of which I have ticked in the form, below), but I had no need of them. Roaming Nice and feeling utterly 'at home' at the Gounod was enough!

Believe me, this really is a special place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Perpetuatraveller
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Beautiful French hotel in a fantastic location. Walking distance to beach, old city, shops and train station. Lovely big room with the kids in a separate room. Nice and clean. Very small breakfast room but great food and service. Staff very pleasant and spoke English. Shared facilities such as internet and pool with sister hotel next door but we didn't use any of them as we were too busy out all day. Perfect for our needs. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I booked the Hotel Gonoud for my family because the website promised spacious rooms, a kitchenette, access to a swimming pool and a good location. The locations is good, about 4 blocks from the beach. My husband, 3 kids and I stayed in one room and my father stayed in an adjacent room. We arrived around 9 pm after an al day road trip. We were brought to our rooms and I realized that instead of giving me a cot for my 4 y.o., they had given me a crib. I asked about it and was told that they couldn't do anything about it that night but that in the morning they would take care of the issue. My daughter, fortunately did not put up a big fight about sleeping in a crib that night. The next morning, they brought us a cot.

The room had one bedroom with 2 twin beds and the crib for my kids and had another room with queen bed for me and my husband. There is no separate livingroom area. It had a spacious bathroom and a kitchenette which did not work. In fact, the cook top did not work and there were no plates, pots, or utensils. There was a small refrigerator. When I complained, I was told that the kitchenettes had not worked in many years and that instead, the hotel offered a free breakfast buffet. The breakfast was very good, but when you travel with a family, it is good to have access to a functioning kitchen. When we arrived, after the crib crisis, I discovered that the AC in the bedroom did not work. I was given the same answer--it would be taken care of in the morning...not good. We were there 4 nights and I don't think that AC ever worked properly.

The swimming pool that we had access to was the one in the Hotel Splendid next door. It is 6 feet deep all the way around so it is not really suitable for kids. Overall, Nice was beautiful and we enjoyed our trip, but this hotel was disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Found the best rate on the hotel's website. We booked two bedroom suite for a very nice price. The hotel is located close to the sea and just couple streets from the pedestrian zone and main square. When coming by car you can use hotels outdoor parking place for 17Euro/day. The rooms are quite big with high ceiling, though they are bit updates and could use some renovation. However they are clean and the bathroom was spacey. The staff was excellent, receptionist very helpful. We had breakfast in our rate which was simple but very good with excellent croissaints. Personally I prefer bigger chain hotels, but for its price, location and staff I would definetely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends