“Great location but small and unusual rooms”

Mercure Nice Marche aux Fleurs
Ranked #56 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This hotel is ideally located on the Promenade des Anglais and about 50 metres from the vibrant Cours Saleya (flower market), and has easy access to the old town, the Promenade, and the beaches. The hotel is an easy 20 minute walk from Nice Ville train station, and 5 minutes walk from the central bus stops.

We stayed here for 6 nights for the carnival, and the flower parade passed right outside the hotel which was convenient for us because we had tickets.

There are a limited number of rooms with sea views, which all appear larger on the plan than the rooms overlooking the opera. Our room was at the back of the hotel, and had a small balcony with Church Saint-François de Paule opposite and views towards the flower market. Our room was narrow but had a high ceiling, which the hotel have used to put the bed on a mezzanine. The narrow room means that there that there is very limited space around the bed, and head room is limited. The bathroom had a hip bath and shower which was spotlessly clean, and the bedding and towels were changed daily.

The hotel location promises much but I have only scored this as average because the narrow layout makes the room feel enclosed, which is a huge shame because it could be so much better with a better layout.

Room Tip: Either ask for a room at the front for sea view or at the back which will have balcony and views of...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Booked for a standard room. From here we know that the hotel has no elevator. So when we booked, we asked the hotel to give us a room at the first floor as we came with a baby and a baby stroller. We didn't expect the hotel to fulfilled our wish. To our surprise, we were upgraded to the sea view hotel located at first floor. If we knew we are gonna be upgrade to this room, we will save ourselves 50€ by not buying flower festuval parade. We can watch it clearly from our window.
The room is spacious and clean.
Great location. Close to the beach, old town, flower market, etc.

Negative
the carpet is very old and give dirty feeling.
There is no minibar at room, we need it to store expressed breast milk
Check in and check out problem : we have accor award voucher, during check in the receptionist wouldnt accept it and told us to give it during check out (its written to be hand over during check in), during check out the other receptionist told us that we should give it during check in. And we have to wait 15 minutes for her to finish our check out with this voucher.
There is ni blanket in the room, when we asked the receptionist, he didnt believe us and want to check it. We were really annoyed with this. As if he think we stole the blanket.
Pricey, it was worth the money becUs we were upgraded. The std room is very small and doesnt worth the price
Very bad internet connection. You havemto login/reconnect every 5 minutes

Tip :
If you came to see the flower festival, dont buy ticket. The road are blocked but if you tell the guard and show them that you are staying at mercure marche aux fleurs, they will let you in and out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I actually stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. The first night was on my own, the next 6 nights was part of a tour group. When I checked in I asked the clerk if I would need to change rooms the next day when the tour started and she ASSURED me I would not that I could unpack as I would be staying in the same room. I was also encouraged to enjoy the hotel's breakfast and was never told it was not included in the room. The next morning I went down for breakfast and was later locked out of my room because I did not "check out." The desk clerk was very rude about it and also charged me 15 euros for the mediocre breakfast that I would have never bought had it not been implied that it was included in my room like it was for the remainder of my stay that week. When I changed rooms at the rude clerk's direction, the housekeeper reported me to the same desk clerk who then insisted I get out of the new room so it could be cleaned. I was basically inconvenienced and treated like a criminal for the next week by this clerk for simply following the hotel staff's directions. The hotel was also inaccessible during Carnaval celebrations a couple of days that I was there. The hotel staff never mentioned this prior to my arrival or during my stay. They did not even put up a schedule in their lobby to warn guests they may not be able to access the hotel for several hours during the day. I will not stay here again, nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone. There are better hotels with better customer service. Save yourself the condescending treatment and stay in a different hotel. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank conch2407
Reviewed 25 February 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We had a mezzanine room on the 1st floor - that is, the bed is up a flight of stairs inside the room, while the bathroom and a minuscule seating area are downstairs. This is really not ideal for a number of reasons. The ceiling in the mezzanine bed section is really low, so my partner stood up during the night and hit his head quite hard on the ceiling. The stairs are quite tricky to negotiate, especially in the dark - we both nearly fell down them during the night (and we are, you know, relatively young and fit). Even without that it's annoying to have to go downstairs to the bathroom. It's very difficult to walk around the bed to the far side as the space is so small. The same attempt to use the space well means that the bath and toilet are also minuscule - the toilet was tiny! And the bath is a joke - I don't know why they didn't just put in a shower unit instead of a half-size bath. The water also ran very slowly filling up the tiny bath. The sound insulation is really poor. The street noise was reasonably distant since we were sleeping up on our mezzanine, but the noises from other rooms was very disturbing - we could hear a tv all night, as well as the usual sounds of sexual congress.... There's more - it was a cold weekend in Nice and we turned the radiator up to warm the room. When we came back in after dinner it had been turned down again and the room was cold. This happened again the next day. Anything good to say? There is free wifi but I had to log in again every time I reopened the iPad. They give you a free one-day bus pass for the whole Lignes d'Azur area! (Buses are really good value. The one-day pass costs 4 euro otherwise (I think...), and a single trip is 1 euro no matter where you go - so you can go to Monaco and back for 2 euros!) Other good things - the location of course, as everyone has said. But I really don't think it makes up for the rest of the problems with this hotel. (Not all rooms have this mezzanine layout, but I think a fair number of them have.) Won't be back...

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms where the bed is on a mezzanine.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CityGirlCH
MERCUREFLEURS, aSSISTANTE DE dIRECTION at Mercure Nice Marche aux Fleurs, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Dear CityGirlCH,

We regret that you are not fully satisfied about the hotel and services.

We are sorry that the room was not according with your expectation, we are aware that the size of our rooms is not our first quality, but as you mentioned is our location.

Satisfying our customers is our priority and we hope we will have an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment and regain your confidence in our service.

Yours sincerely,

Céline Recasens
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Had booked Ocean view room with Balcony. Turned up, "sorry can you spend 1 night in another room, we have a plumbing problem".
Not a great start. Bed was 2 singles pushed together, very uncomfortable.
Did get compensated 1 free breakfast.
Got moved to our room we booked.
No lift, had to drag 20KG suitcases upstairs.
Room was small, bathroom outdated, and again 2 singles joined together, a pet hate of my wifes. unbeleivable location though.
Hotel is a bit overpriced.
Hotel is in 'old nice' which I recomend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple