“Good For the Price/Area - Helpful Staff. NOTE - This is a 'self-service' hotel.”

Residence Nice Fleurs
Ranked #172 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Firstly, thank you to the many trippers who rated this hotel. I did flag your reviews as 'helpful'.
The content of many of these reviews, which I read after we had booked and paid, upset me so much that I emailed the hotel with my concerns. I received a prompt reply with assurances that my concerns had been noted and would be addressed.
The hotel is in a side street close to everything. It is rudimentary and needs refurbishment but that is reflected in the price. Please note, the side streets are littered with dog pooh even first thing in the morning.
The staff were very friendly, helpful and welcoming but they do finish work at 8pm and you have to use a key and code after that.
We were assigned quiet, non-smoking rooms with clean sheets, towels and dish drying cloth (no mop, sponge or dish liquid though), small shampoo and soap, roll of toilet paper. The kitchen was not well supplied but they supplied what you asked for and repaired what you reported broken.
The main difference with a 'normal' hotel is that here you have to look after yourself. There are no daily cleanings, bed-making or refills of products but the staff will help out with products in an 'emergency'.For example, they provided us with milk the one time we forgot to get it.
Breakfast is served everyday from 7.30AM to 11.00AM in a room next to the reception (bit utilitarian) and you have to let them know one day before if you want it. It is a French Breakfast (Pain au chocolat plus a Croissant and bread, coffee, tea, milk or Orange Juice to drink) and we felt it was a bit expensive when you can walk to several good cafes/supermarkets for fresh coffee and pastries.
We switched the water heater on during the day as the 'overnight' setting did not always provide hot water and unfortunately, forgot to report the problem.
I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The 'garden' rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Tyntesfield
There are newer reviews for Residence Nice Fleurs

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I was there for 15 days together with my wife. Nice apartment, good service! Near the famous promenade anglais.Peaceful, Oke, i admit, you also have to be lucky what you get ! but for us it was wonderful, and the city of nice, beach, promenade, etc ,.was superbe!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank francois d
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed in Residence Nice Fleurs for three nights and were really disappointed.

We struggled with the smell of smoke in our room and had to leave the window open and fan on for the whole stay! The facilities were basic but okay - However, the smell of smoke was just fowl!

Also, consider taking your own toilet paper - we were provided with two rolls and asked to go to the supermarket should we need more!

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jared-Daina
Reviewed 15 October 2012

While I signed in!!! Camera bag strapped to my wheelie bag was unstrapped and snatched.... Camera lenses + kit, chargers for phones , eye glasses, wallet, £250.00, Visa cards, driving license, car keys, At the police station 10 or so reporting stolen items and on my return the next day another crowd. Be careful, have an emergency plan for such things, it seems the French supplement their economy this way. This is not an Hotel, it is a residence, it is not secure.
Our room was on the north side of the building ... street noise (it's on a 24h rat run) was high especially at 12.30am for daily bin collection. No air con. Dated decor. Bed was OK. We had very little money left so relied on the kitchenette, it is very basic but managed to make do, good shopping two streets away. Would not go back or recommend.

Room Tip: No good rooms! But price is low for location and dated decor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMarkJ
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed here for just one night en route back to the UK, and we were thanking our lucky stars that we'd only booked for the one night.

Before I start my review, I should point out that I am fluent in french, and so any unhelpful service cannot be put down to miscommunication, or the occasional shoddy treatment of tourists who cannot speak the language.

The room was tired, the bed was ok but the sofa bed was horrible, all saggy from use. The bathroom was a bit hit and miss, the toilet seemed to have been cleaned but there was mildew around the shower which was a bit nasty.
My son dropped a few crumbs from a biscuit on the floor, and soon enough I saw the crumbs migrating across the floor. Turns out that ants had been attracted and were busy carting off their prize. I wouldn't mind if this was outdoors, or even on the ground floor with doors open, but 3 floors up? Yuck.

I really should have done more research before booking, as I was most surprised by the lack of air conditioning. In an area which regularly hits the high 30s if not higher, I was astonished by the lack of any cooling. The ceiling fan would have been nice if it was over the bed, but as it was we had to push the bed into the middle of the room to have any benefit at all from the fan.

We didn't use the facilities in the kitchenette, but there was a gaping hole where I presume a dishwasher should have been. The dishes and glasses left for use were a little grotty, I suppose seeing as the previous guests hadn't been able to use a dishwasher they were not as clean as I would have liked; hence why we did not avail ourselves of the facilities.

The staff too were a bit hit and miss. The woman who checked us in was supremely unhelpful: when I asked if they could provide a travel cot as per my booking she said that they did, it was in the room, and she even showed me the reception notes to 'prove' it. I had to insist that I am neither blind nor particularly unobservant, but there was in fact no cot in the room. When the cot did arrive, I was amused to find that it was quite obviously an old linen basket (of the sort used by housekeeping when they clean out the rooms). It did have a perfectly serviceable mattress, so I didn't complain but was quietly amused nonetheless.
The receptionist on our checkout was, by contrast, lovely. We had checked out and went for a walk before our taxi arrived to take us to the airport, and we were caught in the mother of all rain showers. We (including my 15 month old son) were drenched, and the receptionist kindly gave us towels to dry off, and let us use the luggage room to sort ourselves out, change into dry clothes etc. If I could remember his name, I would send a formal letter of thanks to the management about him.

Overall, I can't say that I would ever come back to Nice Fleurs. The location is good, but the negatives far outweigh the convenience of venue, and next time I will just stump up more cash and stay somewhere a little nicer.

Room Tip: choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kicki21
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Dirty carpets in all apartments, not toilette paper when we arrived, nit air conditioning, not Internet in the room, and old and doubtful linens. Definitely not the experience you want to have in Nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KarenSchmidt
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have no idea how this hotel gained 3 stars. The rooms are filthy, with dirt and squashed mosquitos up the walls and the carpets made our feet black. My baby monitor was reading 29 degrees in the bedroom and that was with the wall fan on. If you are after cheap accommodation (which is few and far between in Nice) with a good location and don't mind a bit of dirt, then it is fine, otherwise don't bother!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family