“You get what you pay for”

Hotel Saint Gothard
Ranked #123 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Lyon, France
“You get what you pay for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

If you need an expensive place to stay in Nice on a week-end or a short holiday then Saint-Gothard is definitely the place. It doesn't pretend to be something better than it is - a solid budget hotel. But as such it answers your demands for a price as low as 45 euros (end of September 2013 prices).

Area near hotel is a bit of an immigrants' neighbourhood and a bit shabby, but doesn't have a dangerous feeling around it. Its location near the train station is perfect if you're planning on making day trips from Nice - either by the coast or into the mountains. The sea is around 15 minutes walking distance or just a short ride on a tram.

The room was simple, but clean. My only complaints come from the fact, that there was just one (!) electric plug in the room, plus the doorway to the bathroom was low and I (1.82 height) had to mind my head every time I stepped into it. But overall the impression was good and I will consider hotel Saint-Gothard as an option for my next stay in Nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

This hotel is your typical 2 star hotel, it does not pretend to be anything else. We had a twin bedded room on the first floor. It had everything that we needed for our 3 night stay.
The beds were clean and comfortable. Built in wardrobe which had plenty of coat hangers and shelving at the top and bottom. Air-conditioning that worked. Did the room have a view...no, as I didn't request or pay for one! There was a television in the room but only French channels were available.
The bathroom was recently refurbished so was of a very good standard. Hot water at all times of night and day. We had clean white fluffy towels every day.
Free WiFi was available in the foyer and had not problems connecting.
As we book a hotel room to basically sleep in and not spend the whole of our holiday in, this was all we needed in a hotel.
The staff were 5 star, very helpful even helping me with a problem with my mobile phone. If you need any information of the area they are more than willing to help you.
The location is superb as its central for everything you may require but there is no noise whilst in the hotel. Its very hard to believe the hotel is where it is as its so quiet.
My conclusion is this......if you are hoping to get a 5 star hotel for a 2 star price then this isn't the hotel for you. If you want good value for little money then this is the hotel for you.
I will be using this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I had read plenty of reviews before I booked the hotel, so I was not expecting luxury. I certainly did not get luxury!! What I got was a very good value hotel, well located for everything I wanted to do. The hotel is only about 200m from the train station (NiceVille), but the trains cannot be heard at all. The surrounding area is not the best but, as you walk down towards the sea front, it gets a lot better. A lot of people tend to hang around the streets in the vicinity of the hotel, and chat. I suppose that is the way things are done there, but I could imagine some people feeling intimidated by it. I had no problems whatsoever, The reception staff are very friendly and helpful, as are all the staff in the hotel. (One of the cleaning staff even complimented me on the way I kept my room so tidy!) What strikes you immediately is the garish colour scheme, but you get used to it! The next surprise is the lift. Absolutely tiny, but it works. My room was 316, at the back of the hotel. No view, but one big bonus - very quiet at night. The room itself is as basic as you are going to get. Again, garish colours, but quite fresh. The surface of the walls is like breeze block, not quite what I would have expected. The room was spotlessly clean, and kept that way. The room was cleaned every day, towels changed every day, bed linen changed after 3 nights. The bed was very comfortable, and I slept well. The shower, though effective, is tiny. At 5'11, and nearly 15st., it was a tight fit for me! There was a TV in the room, but all the channels were in French. (Have you ever watched "Les Simpsons?!") The air conditioning worked fine, and kept the room at an ideal temperature during the night. Breakfast was nothing special, but served its purpose. So, what have we got here at the Hotel Saint Gothard? A bog-standard, very basic hotel, that is very clean and fit for purpose, and represents very good value for money. I would certainly stay there again, and I am very grateful to the staff for their efforts on behalf of the guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Deauville-biker
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This is well located hoel near the main train station and tram line. It very clean and the staff are friendly. The old town and sea front are approx 15 mins away by foot. Iwould stay again. There are very good restaurants near by which is a great bonus

• Stayed September 2013
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Bearing in mind the price of stay, everything was ok! Very clean bathroom and the room. Actually, that is all that I usually expect from the two star hotel.
The smell was nice and the furniture was in adequate condition.
We got a room on the first floor and were lucky to have wifi right there.
The only thing that disappointed me was the number of jacks (sockets): only two - one in the bathroom (very uncomfortably situated) and the other one near the bathroom (so high that my phone was just hanging on the charger), having two phones, two ipads, electric shaver and a photocamera to charge we were confused.
And the other thing is hot water. You have to keep it open for 5-7 minutes before it starts getting warm.
If I won't get rich before coming back to Nice, I stay in this hotel again! ;)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Saint Gothard for one night on 19.08.13 as a family of 4 adults.

Booked it 2 months in advance through Booking.com. The hotel staff were very helpful prior to reservation, as we were travelling with one adult electric scooter user and needed to know all about acces, curbs, steps, lifts etc. we were explained all, even sent photographs and assured that although there are some stairs to go through in order to get to the room, we could leave the scooter downstairs near reception to charge it overnight. Eventually we did not need to and left the scooter in a car but it was good effort.

The location is very good, because 5 mins walk from the Promenade, shops nearby, police station around the corner. However the area looked a little shabby, mostly because of the groups of foreign man standing and sitting around every possible door and shop. It didnt feel safe in the evening, especially knowing that all eyes were on you, and a lot of comments were heard ( I need to stress that I was very modestly dressed, because I was warned before travelling to Nice).

Reception staff was very helpful, given us a map and explained all we needed.

Lift was reasonable size, but as well as everything else in the hotel, very dated.

The lobby had vending machine and free wifi.

The corridors looked shabby and the furniture in the room well used. There was an air condition in the room which kept us comfortably cool. Room and the bathroom were very clean. Beds to our surprise were 2 single and 1 bunk bed, not what we expected for adults.. The single beds were very comfy, not so much the bunk bed.

Tv in a room, but only French channels available

The floor was tiled, which helps keeping the room clean and also cool. The view from the window was a bit depressing, somebody's windows and a huge roof right in the middle of the courtyard, which turned out to be a roof of breakfast room.

In the bathroom, although it was clean, there was not a piece of equipment that wasn't broken or damaged. Very small shower, with doors not closing completely, toilet flush cracked in a half and seat loose, taps mismatched and only one out of 2 lights above the sink working. There was a hairdryier to my surprise! Working one :)

The hotel was very quiet overnight, we has a very good sleep.

We had continental breakfast included, which was in a large a little depressing dark room, with dead quiet around you. The breakfast consisted of 1 plain croissant, 1/2 baguette, and the rest was unlimited: butter, jam, cearials, orange juice, water and hot drinks. Not very impressive but it kept us going for few hours.

The downstairs toilets located by breakfast room were the same standard as the one in our room, with the difference that one of them didnt have a lock!!

All in all, it is ok for 1 night stay. I don't think I would leave my stuff there while out, just didnt feel secure enough.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed here with my boyfriend in beginning of August. The hotel is easy to find, though the rooms are quite old and the corridor is very smelly. The staff is changing everyday, some of them are very rude. Only a few rooms have wifi, otherwise there is only access in the lobby. The prices for rooms are decent I would say but there is not much else other than that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple