“Excellent!”

Hotel Comte de Nice
Ranked #152 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Just got back from 3rd (or maybe 4th?!) visit.Booked to go again in July.
Very clean.Helpful, friendly, multilingual staff.5 minutes from the tram and station.Breakfast sets you up for the day.Everything works and it`s Bohemian.VERY good value.
I should say I`m a 63 year old and pretty fussy but never had a problem here.

Room Tip: You will probably get a choice so do check out each option.If you find a room that particularly suit...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Graham S

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel after walking from the train station. we got in the checkin line and the staff completly ignored us, literally helped everyone besides us. They were really rude when we did get them to talk to us. The rooms was small and dank, it didn't seem very clean and I didn't want to stay long. They did have a good breakfast at the hotel. Can walk to beach and bars which is good. Do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
ManagerComte, All Front Office Members at Hotel Comte de Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Guest
At first I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Tripadvisor. But we must say we are all very surprised to read your comment. Especially since your stay is 7 months ago. Normally our hotel is known for its very friendly and helpful staff. It could be that there were lots of people and so we did not notice you right away but we really never had complaints of being unfriendly or even rude. Could you possibly tell us when exactly you stayed at our hotel so we can look up who was on duty that day. Are you sure you mean our hotel? This really doesn’t sounds like us. Our guests are always very impressed with the cleanliness of our rooms. We are very sorry to hear we couldn’t satisfy you. We would be grateful if you could contact us soon.

Best regards

The whole FRONT OFFICE TEAM from the Hôtel Comté de Nice

Reviewed 13 December 2012 via mobile

In planning our trip to Europe we had many hotels to book, and somehow slipped up and booked this hotel without realizing that is was only 2 star.
Although not right in the desirable 'old Town' area, it is conveniently located very close to the ramline that takes you right to the old Town or waterfront area in just a minute.
Our room was old and dingy - a fact which I think they were trying to hide with the very low wattage lighting.
Staff were friendly enough, breakfast was good.
I have never been asked to pay a deposit for a hairdryer before - but then maybe that is standard for a 2 star hotel. I am not likely to be booking a 2 star again anytime soon and so may never know!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Janice L
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I was worried where to put my parents for the weeks visit and found this little gem. I walked all around Nice and didt find anything that was ...."right". Clean and friedly and above all the right location. I saw plenty closer to town but......double the price...

In the mornings you walk through the Libertion Vegetable Market (Fun) to the tram stop, 98meters meters away . then on the tram and 4 minutes (2 stops) and bingo you are in the Massena square. The centre.

It really is that easy. Within 1 day my parents were off and running and the proximity of the tram stop made life sooo easy and above all peace of mind as you new how to get home just get the tram and get off at Liberation. Very important after two bottles of Vin de Var.

Absolutely no no need to be any closer to the centre and pay double. The tram is €1.

Hotel: Excellent staff and VERY friendly , which can be a bit rare, The room was cosy with nice decor qne it was a nice touch they gave us two rooms to look at before we chose, Which is conforting at all times.and the beds were excellent as they both slept like logs.(also a bit rare).

I will have no doubt in sending all my friends there.

So if the Negresco is full then go to this hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank BeenthereBerlin
Reviewed 12 November 2012

While the staff is very nice and responsive, my room here was very small and cramped, the bed was uncomfortable and I got eaten alive by either mosquitoes or bedbugs. I'm not sure which, but I think in may have been bedbugs as they were mostly in clusters.

So back to the rooms, mine was very cramped, with little space for mine and my roommates bags. We were stepping over them all over the place. Also, the bathroom was tiny and the shower did not have a curtain, so you have to be very careful to try and not spill water all over the place. Our hot water would not turn on in the sink and there are very few amenities in the bathroom. Only soap, small shower gel packets and plastic cups. The area was also fairly noisy, even at night. We slept with the window open to get air, but unfortunately there are no screens (hence why I'm not sure if the bites were caused by mosquitoes) and there was a good about of street noise.

It's about a 20 minute walk to beach. You get one key per room, so if you are with a roommate and you guys have different plans for the day, you might be best off leaving the key at reception. Lastly, there is only one small lift, which seemed to take a really long time to arrive. There is a set of stairs, but it is spiral and very small. Not good for carrying luggage up.

I would not stay here again if I visit Nice again. I'd rather splurge a bit and stay somewhere nicer and closer to the promenade.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
ManagerComte, Front Office Clerk at Hotel Comte de Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comment. I am sorry your expectations to our hotel couldn’t be fulfilled. Weren’t you given the choice between two rooms? Normally every guest in our hotel gets the choice as every room is different. I apologize if that was not the case. Maybe the next time you could book an apartment which is bigger and even has a little kitchenette. Since our hotel is situated in the city centre it can always get a bit noisy outside although most of our guests say that it’s rather quiet for a city hotel. I hope you still enjoyed your time in Nice.

Best regards

Your front desk staff

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The major take away from our visit to the Comte de Nice was that room quality varies SIGNIFICANTLY. We were given a choice of 3 rooms in which to stay and were able to view each of them. They were all listed as the same price yet were hugely different from each other.

One of the rooms we viewed in the main building was small, dark, and had a foul odor. It reminded me of a freshman year dorm room. Ugh. The room we ended up selecting was in the back building and on the top floor. It had a vaulted ceiling with skylights and even a small kitchenette. We were able to save money by cooking dinner in the room and then enjoying the awesome Nice nightlife and people-watching.

Location-wise, the Comte de Nice was really great and felt safe. There is a local farmer's market in the summer that was operating just around the corner and the tram line stops 1 block away. The hotel even provides free baguettes to guests in the morning!

This hotel was a solid choice for us and we recommend it to other travelers looking for affordable accommodations in an overly expensive city. Since room quality varies, if possible, ask to see several rooms so that you can pick the best one.

Room Tip: Room quality varies significantly! Ask to see several rooms before making your choice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelFiend5
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Clean bathroom and linens. Room is very worn down and poor lighting. Was given the option to choose between 2 rooms and it was good that we checked both rooms - one was really unacceptable and the smell was just bad. The experience being in Nice made up for what was lacking in cleanliness of the whole hotel. Staff were nice and could speak multiple languages which was an advantage.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple