“Delightful bed&breakfast!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Delightful bed&breakfast!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Chez Josephine is a delightful bed&breakfast to stay at while in Nice! Josephine and her dog Rocco were the perfect hosts, and Josephine is a wealth of local knowledge. The room was spotless, and the scent from the orange trees in blossom outside was beautiful! Chez Josephine is in a great central location, easy to explore the surrounding areas from.

• Stayed April 2014
Josephine M, Owner at Chez Josephine, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The orange trees are only in bloom for a couple of weeks, & as you say, the perfume is delightful. I'm happy you got to experience it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at Chez Josephine over an extended weekend while she was attending a work conference.

Needless to say, we couldn't have a selected a more wonderful place to stay!!

LOCATION
The location is more centrally located in the city near the train station. Admittedly, we were slightly worried about this at first since it was a moderate-length walk to the Mediterranean and the incredibly charming Old Town portion of Nicé as well as the amazing city vantage points -- and quiet solitude, as we soon discovered -- afforded by the Chateau de Nicé. HOWEVER, all of those concerns were immediately alleviated when we discovered how wonderfully convenient the tram was to get around (with a stop literally 1 block from Chez Josephine).

Also, we were foolish and neglected to pick Josephine's brain on some of what's available further north of the B&B until our last full day. We were kicking ourselves when we learned that the BEST gelato in all of Nicé was a mere 2 blocks north, named Arlequin Gelati Italiani. It was infinitely better than the Fenocchio Maitre Glacier options available in Old Town.

Furthermore, heading north brought us to a sprawling sidewalk market (this was a Sunday morning) where many of the locals come out to purchase fresh produce from local farmers -- a far more authentic version than the tourist-laden market in Old Town.

Additionally, heading even further north to the Matisse Museum proved to be a relaxing stroll through quiet neighborhoods that culminated with the enjoyment of a sunken olive grove / park in front of the museum that's a perfect place for an afternoon picnic (don't forget a bottle of wine or champagne!).

ACCOMMODATIONS
The Chez Josephine is a far better option than many of the Mediterranean-facing hotels. My fiancé's work colleague stayed in one of those far more expensive hotels and suffice to say that the room was half the size and the price was far steeper.

Josephine is ridiculously kind-hearted and helpful in deciding what might be worth checking out if it's your first time in Nicé.

The B&B itself is very safe and secure, it was as clean (or cleaner) than any hotel we've ever stayed at, the street noise did not seem to affect our sleep tremendously when the balcony door was closed -- though it is, admittedly, a somewhat "active" street (we'd still say far less busy than we were expecting based on some other reviews that we'd read).

We stayed in the Orange Room. It was beyond spacious for our needs, and it proved to be a nice sanctuary to fall back to when we grew weary of exploring and required some rest. Though we didn't use it, the room had a mini-fridge should we needed to keep something cool, an assortment of teas at our disposal, and Josephine gave us a large bottle of water on our arrival (a true godsend). There was also a cute balcony to let the sun in and offer some air flow as necessary.

We shared a shower and separate toilet with the other guests, but was never an inconvenience or concern to us as we'd were already expected that based on other reviews.

Josephine also prepares a delightful breakfast assortment of fresh bread and croissants for the guests paired with some jelly, coffee or tea, orange juice and some yogurt or fruit. It was more than enough food for us to jumpstart our day and always fresh.

For dog lovers, Josephine has an adorable 20-25lbs dog named Rocco who loves a good belly scratch. He doesn't generally bother the guests -- preferring to stay at Josephine's side -- however, we took pride in the fact that we'd built enough of a bond by our last day there that he was entirely relaxed in our presence and even laid on the floor in a ray of sunshine with me for a short while in our room (I called him in to snuggle ;-)

A final note related to the accommodations: I purchased an electrical adapter / converter to charge our electronics during our brief stay, however, I foolishly neglected to pack it. Josephine, bless her heart, was willing to provide one that she had for the duration of our stay. Furthermore, we only had paper Euros with us and needed 10 Euros for the tram in coin form -- Josephine managed to pull together the coins we needed in exchange for our paper Euros so that we didn't have to figure out how to accomplish that task on our own.

I can't offer enough praise to Chez Josephine. It was all so incredibly wonderful!! And, we would love to stay here again should our travels take us back through Nicé!

TRANSPORTATION
The tram can be a great way to get around the city. It can take you to/from Old Town (our favorite part of the city, and easily some of the best restaurants and shops) in less than 10 minutes each way. But, it also can take you into less tourist traveled portions of the city as well. Just be sure to have some Euros in coin form -- the ticket stations won't accept paper money or foreign credit cards. Better yet, purchase a 7-day transportation pass at the airport!

The bus is another option if you're feeling more adept. Just be careful, we were feeling confident and ended up much further away from our destination than intended (and soon discovered that there are far fewer English speaking people to help you get back on track the further you move from the southern part of the city... that was our fault).

Taxi's seemed further and fewer between, so I'd recommend straying from those with one exception -- save 40 Euros for each the trip to and again the trip from Chez Josephine (to/from airport). You can certainly take another way, but we took a bus on the way to Chez Josephine and opted for a taxi on the return trip; the taxi ride was far worth the less stressful journey.

FOOD
You're already on TripAdvisor. Check out the food recommendations. We went to many of the top places, and not a single one disappointed. Come prepared to eat some incredible cuisine and drink some delicious wines!!

Room Tip: We were setup for the Blue Room, but upon arrival, we were the only scheduled guests, so we upgraded...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Dave S
Josephine M, Owner at Chez Josephine, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for such a detailed & complimentary review, I really appreciate you taking the time. No-one would ever know from your wonderful upbeat descriptions of all you did while you were here that in fact it poured with rain for most of your stay. Regardless, you didn't let the rain slow you down any, & I enjoyed hearing about your busy days over breakfast.
I have to agree with you on the airport taxi. It is so much less stressful to just bite the bullet & pay the price if you have heavy luggage or are exhausted from a long flight, even more so if you do not speak French. I know the price is outrageous but sometimes it's just worth it. In addition to the detailed directions on how to get here which are already on my website, I send all my guests a map from the train station to the B&B, some 500 yards/meters, so it is simple enough to make the trip on the bus, unless it is too early/too late or you cannot deal with your luggage.
It was a pleasure to have you as my guests. Please come again if you get the chance, you will be very welcome.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 February 2014

very well located! 3 minutes walking from the train station and tram. I was on a one day -shopping trip and I could not have found a better location than this.

Josephine is a great hostess and her place is spotless!! very comfortable and nice!

I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: better location impossible! spotless and nice!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kry_bp
Josephine M, Owner at Chez Josephine, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you!! Come again!!
NYC
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Before I go into the review, I would advise you to book with Josephine directly through her website. It's a bit cheaper and there is no middle-man to go through if complications arise.

This is the best B&B I've ever stayed in. Ideal location, excellent value, and very comfortable and clean.

I stayed in in the Orange Room, which was very spacious. The small balcony lit up the room during the day (and offered a nice breeze) and the numerous lamps in the room kept it bright at night. I didn't have a problem with street noise during my stay as I closed the balcony doors/windows at night due to slightly chilly weather.

Breakfast was delicious - warm just-out-of-the-oven croissants, great baguettes, jams, butter, coffee, tea, yogurt. Also, communal breakfast offered some great conversation with Josephine and the other guests. I got a lot of great advice and tips on things to do at breakfast.

Location was IDEAL for the following reasons:
1- It's 2 blocks from the train station. This is extremely convenient if you decide to take the train for a day trip to one of the many lovely nearby towns, or if you are taking the train to your next destination (for me, Paris). The public bus to/from the Nice airport stops at the train station as well (it's about 15 minutes ride from the airport to the train station).
2- It's a leisurely 10 minute walk to Vieux Nice and the beach. You can walk through one of the main avenues where there are a lot of shops, or you can walk through a quieter adjacent avenue - either way, it's a pleasant stroll.
3- The tram is 2 blocks away. I never took the tram, because Nice is a very walkable city, but if you get tired after a day at the beach or don't want to walk after dark, etc, you can easily hop on the tram for a quick journey back.
4- It's a 5 minute walk to the bus stop to get to the Matisse museum. I took the bus up (all uphill) and walked down. The walk down took half an hour, but it's an easy downhill walk through lovely residential surroundings.

Before I booked, I had concerns about sharing a bathroom, but the concerns were unfounded. There is a shower/tub and sink in one room, and a toilet in a small room next to that, so you can use the toilet even if there is someone showering. Both rooms were always extremely clean and tidy - through both the care of Josephine and the considerate nature of the other guests. I never had to wait for either room during my 4 day stay.

One last bit - Josephine has a small dog, Rocco, who is incredibly well behaved and he will win you over completely.

I would definitely stay at Chez Josephine again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank justlovely
Josephine M, Owner at Chez Josephine, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your excellent review. Quite apart from all the good things you say about me & Rocco (the dog), your review will be really helpful to anyone who reads it. I am delighted you were so pleased; do come again!
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 9 January 2014

2 1/2 blocks from the train station, so easy to get in and out; right by the tram to get to the major sights; close to the Chagall Museum. Josephine was such a great hostess, and she keeps that place spotless! My daughter & I were in the lovely Green room for 3 nights and never ran into the other 2 people staying there. With keys to the front door, we felt like we were in our own apartment. We had a delightful stay in Nice at Chez Josephine; couldn't be happier with this choice - thanks!

Room Tip: The Green room is the largest, but looks onto the street; Orange room might be quieter. Closing the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Josephine M, Owner at Chez Josephine, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for your review, I'm very happy you enjoyed your stay. In fact, all the rooms face the street; the main difference between the Green & the Orange rooms is that the Orange room has a little balcony with French doors with shutters while the Green room has very large bay windows with a roll-down shutter.
I enjoyed meeting you both, come again soon!!
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at Chez Josephine for a week in January in the Orange room, which was light., bright and spacious with a balcony. The bed was firm and comfortable and sharing a spotless bathroom was no problem at all.
We were of course served a Continental breakfast, but with Croissants, two types of bread, orange juice, plenty of butter and jam, yoghurt and a hot drink of choice, we set out well satisfied every morning. Josephine was mine of information about museums, restaurants and public transport. She is an excellent hostess who made us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: +The orange room is our favourite.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed in the "green room" for 3 nights. The location was good for us - about a 10 minute walk to the sea/old Nice, and extremely close to the train station. Merely a few blocks to the main shopping area (Nicetoile, etc.). There was also a lovely market that was a short walk north that we visited a couple of times.

Josephine was very accommodating and had lots of useful advice for our stay. She is Scottish, so English is obviously not a problem if your French is not adequate. Breakfasts were great - fresh croissants and bread, jam, yogurt, juice, coffee/tea. Room was lovely - we had a nice view of the street from a table and chairs in the room. Bed was large and the room was equipped with a fridge. We never had issues with the wifi. We appreciated the little touches, like Josephine providing wine glasses in our room (without us asking) when she noticed a bottle of wine on the table.

The only downsides were noise from the street and a shared bathroom. However, these were minor details and were far overshadowed by the positives. We also enjoyed meeting her small dog Rocco. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Green room was large and well-equipped.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple