“A taste of real French life”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
GreedyGou...
England
“A taste of real French life”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

We always wanted to stay in a typically French apartment in a French neighbourhood where we could shop, eat and mix with the locals. Eat breakfast at the boulangerie round the corner. Eat dinner at one of the many restaurants - was it 1037 at the last count? But we also wanted comfort, convenience and (relatively) low cost. Yes, and warmth, without taking a long haul flight in February. Previous reviewers have commented on noise. You don't get to stay in the centre of any city without a certain amount of hustle and bustle. That's part and parcel of the experience. We found the apartment perfect for our needs. Large, airy, spacious and very French!

rpretl
Baltimore, Maryland
“Perfect location, great experience”
Reviewed 12 February 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

Since our daughter lives in Nice, we travel from the USA frequently to visit her. We have stayed in many apartments, and Rue Papon now rates as our favorite. The location is ideal - very close to the Old Town, but just far enough away that you don't have the noise from the many late night establishments there. The tram is just steps away, the airport bus is around the corner, the Mono Prix supermarket and many great shops are nearby, and the port and Promenade are within easy walking distance. The apartment is very comfortable, and does have the Old World France flavor that visitors appreciate. My wife and I are 60+, and had no problem with the walk up the stairs. We especially appreciated that the apartment even had a Pack 'n Play crib and a high chair, since our daughter and granddaughter visited us every day. I would recommend the Rue Papon apartment to anyone looking for an authentic Nice experience.

Liked best: The location
Liked least: We had to leave to come home
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Catriona3...
Dublin, Ireland
“Sleepless in Nice!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 for a stay in October 2013

Wishing to experience a little more than a taste of Nicoise life, we rented this apartment for three weeks from the end of September 2013. It is in an excellent location, within walking distance of many wonderful amenities; the old town, the port, seafront, the modern art gallery, the main library, the chateau hill, trams, buses, a good supermarket and Pauls, a wonderful bakery. We were welcomed by the owner with the gift of a bottle of wine and were able to get access c90 minutes before the actual check-in time which was really helpful.

When I asked about noise level before booking, I was assured that as "Rue Papon' is a 'no through road' so there is no passing traffic day or night!" (quote). On this basis, we booked for 3 weeks. However, we found this was definitely not the case. At times, there were up to 20 motorbikes parked just below the bedroom window, each of which had to start up, rev up and zoom off!!! Worst of all, the tram system, which operates 21 out of 24 hours went within 30 metres of the said bedroom, sounding warnings! At around 4.50 am, a council van flashing warning lights and hazard beeps would hose down the street. Bin lorries noisily collected the rubbish in the early hours. While we have stayed in a number city centres before, the bedrooms were all located at the back of the apartments and so outside noise was not an issue.

Besides the noise, we found the bed, and its accompanying linen, below standard. One usually expects a good quality mattress with a 6 foot brass bed head. What we found instead were 2 single foam mattresses loosely attached, with single bed linen. Snuggling up was indeed precarious! When I asked for a double flat sheet, I was assured that if too hot, guests normally remove the single duvets from their covers and use these as top sheets. This response was not what I was expecting from a quality, and not inexpensive, apartment in Nice. The second bedroom is very small and it would be difficult to see how two adults could share this room. The couch/bed in the lounge is very uncomfortable with springs protruding randomly. Although included in some of the websites, there is no tumble dryer, which would have been useful on occasion.
Overall, I would say that the pictures of this apartment promise luxury accommodation and in my view, 2 Rue Papon, 2nd floor falls far short.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Noise
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
20 Nov 2013
My 'Rue Papon' apartment is indeed in an excellent, convenient and very central location and near the wonderful new state-of-the-art tramway system.
As other visitors have said, it is charming, comfortable, airy, spacious, gorgeous and spotless. I have had the same cleaning lady for 14 years. I have never employed itinerant, temporary or student cleaners.
For such a central location this apartment is not noisy by normal city-dwelling standards. It is indeed in a street with no through or passing traffic. That is unusual in Nice.
I have 9 different apartments in Nice. 2 of them are in what one would describe as in 'quiet and calm' locations, although even then, you might hear a motorbike at night. If I had been advised that these visitors were finding this apartment not to their precise requirements I could have offered them other apartments to move to, but it would not be possible to guarantee silence at night.
Unlike some cities I have visited, the Nice authorities care very much about the cleanliness, health and hygiene in the city. They have teams who wash down the streets with hosepipes and clear all the rubbish away every night. They don't only do this at Rue Papon - they do it in every street throughout Nice. Most people are very happy about this and appreciate it. (Much of the time I live in England . The streets are never washed down, and most of the rubbish is only collected once every 14 days !)
This apartment regularly accommodates up to 6 people and for them the price goes from £11 per person per night through to a maximum of £21 per person per night in the peak season. This can not be described as a 'luxury' price.
This is a very popular apartment all year round, and the prices I charge are the same as I charged in 2001. I have never increased my prices. But furthermore, I gave these visitors an extra special discount of £300(GB£three hundred) below my normal price.
Jane S
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Charming, comfortable and very conveniently located.”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013

The owner has carefully provided the mod cons that we look for (plenty of hot water, powerful shower, good signal wi-fi, comfy mattresses), while retaining the old-fashioned look and charm of a city-centre apartment near the heart of old Nice.

The apartment really is only minutes from Vieux Nice, and seconds from the Place Garibaldi where there is every kind of restaurant you could want. I have stayed at places which were billed as "ten minutes walk from .... but were actually much longer, so it was lovely to be so near everything we wanted to do. We could easily walk to the port and the Promenade des Anglais as well.

The apartment building has a lot of charm, the old marble staircase makes you feel you have walked into the set of a film and the shutters are all original!

Inside the apartment is comfortable and spacious.

I only had one problem and that was the tram. It was noisy, and whilst other sounds you would expect in a city centre location I could screen out, somehow the tram penetrated more. It didn't spoil the holiday, though, and my husband rated the holiday as a very good one.

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: The central location
Liked least: The proximity of the tram (although I am aware that one goes with the other!!)
810scottw
San Jose, California
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 11 July 2013 for a stay in July 2013
person found this review helpful

My wife and 2 teenagers stayed at Rue Papon for 3 (of our 5 paid nights).

Positives:
There is a tram stop around the corner, only 2 stops and a short walk to the beach and many great restaurants.
The kitchen and bathroom are updated, the bathroom was clean

Negatives:
The rest of the apartment was not very clean. The floor was dirty - after showering, my feet got dirty walking to the bedroom. The table cloth on the kitchen table had pasta sauce on it, and the furniture in the living area was very uncomfortable - the sofa is so broken down, you end up sitting on the springs.

The bed in the master bedroom was extremely uncomfortable, and the trundle bed (basically foam pads on springs) in the 2nd bedroom would only be acceptable only for small children. My teenagers were very uncomfortable.

We ended up moving to a hotel room after 3 nights of a 5 night stay.

The owner arranged ahead of time to send us a set of keys, which worked out fine. I became concerned when I realized if the keys were lost or stolen, we had no easy way of getting a fast replacement since there is no management company, fortunately this wasn't an issue.

While I don't recommend this apartment to anyone, I would especially caution older travelers and those with disabilities. The apartment is on the 3rd floor (no lift) with a narrow, steep staircase.

Liked best: Bathroom
Liked least: Cleanliness
Travelling group: Teenagers
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
26 Nov 2013
As other visitors have said, this apartment is "charming, comfortable, airy, spacious and very conveniently located " and that I "provide all the mod cons that visitors look for - plenty of hot water, powerful shower, good signal WiFi and comfy mattresses ! - while retaining the old-fashioned charm of a city-centre apartment near the heart of the Old Town. The old marble staircase makes one feel that one has walked into the set of a (French) film."
In my office I have a file full of thank-you notes, appreciative letters and kind e-mails from my visitors to this apartment.
This visitor states that the apartment is on the 3rd floor. He is wrong. It is not on the 3rd floor. It's on the 2nd floor (or, as the French say " 2e etage" ) I agree that one might not want to stay at an apartment which was on the 3rd, 4th or 5th floor if there wasn't a lift, but this apartment is on the 2nd floor and is easily accessible by the staircase. I have had many elderly and less-able visitors stay at this apartment and they have all loved it.
This visitor was concerned that he might lose the keys, and what would he do ? He didn't ask me ! - and he just assumed that if he were to lose the keys he's be stuck ! Of course, he wouldn't have been ! I have several back-up/emergency sets of keys easily available in the town for all of my apartments. He also states that I don't have a management team in the town . This is also untrue. Again, he didn't ask me - he just assumed ! In fact, with 9 different apartments in Nice I have an excellent team of people on call to cover any eventuality. I have been established in Nice since 1999. In addition to laundry people and cleaners (the lady who looks after this apartment has worked for me for the last 13 years and is one of the best in Nice) I also have an excellent handyman, a locksmith, a plumber, a carpenter, and an electrician all available on-call at very short notice should they be required.
The new state-of-the-art tramway is very convenient and goes direct to the central railway station within 4 or 5 minutes. There is a tram-stop within 30 metres of this apartment It's a great asset, and by any other standards for tram systems I have experienced in cities around the world, it is very quiet - the Nice authorities chose to use battery-powered trams. They are wonderful and much appreciated by visitors and residents alike.
In many hotels in Nice it costs more to stay in 1 room for 1 night than these 4 visitors paid me to live in a conveniently and centrally located and spacious 2-bedroomed apartment for 5 nights.
Cath123Lo...
London
“Great stay at Rue Papon apartment”
Reviewed 29 May 2013 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

We loved the location. It was in the best part of Nice for the old town and transport links to other parts of the coast, the train station and anywhere in Nice – perfect!. The apartment was airy and spacious, plenty of room for the two of us.

Liked best: location
Liked least: fridge
Travelling group: Other
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Sylwebydd
Nercwys, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed 5 January 2013 for a stay in December 2012

We stayed in this apartment over Christmas and New Year. It is ideally located for the Old Town, the Port and the more modern shopping centre in Plas Mesena, and yet it's still possible to get to sleep at night because there's no 'through traffic' going along the street. Excellent supermarket within a stone's throw. Public transport is very good - you can easily get to the apartment by bus from the airport for four euros, so don't take a taxi! Trams are great and cheap too. Plans for the tram line to be extended to the airport sometime during the next twelve months. Be warned - bus station is being revamped so bus departure points have been dotted all over the City instead. We left a leaflet explaining where to find the ones you need. Have a look at www.bestofniceblog.com - loads more information there.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Tiled floor but we were there in winter!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing