“Nice, simple and delicious.”
Review of Le Soleil d'Asmara - CLOSED

Le Soleil d'Asmara
Price range: US$11 - US$29
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Seul Etablissement de restauration traditionnel ethiopien et erythreen de la Cote d'Azur, dont les epices des plats sont achetees directement en Ethiopie. Ce qui garantit des saveurs authentiques, des evasions culinaires superbes sans meme prendre un billet d'avion! Venez partager un moment d'exception chez Elsa, elle et sa fille Virginie, gerante depuis 7 ans deja du Restaurant Le Soleil d'Asmara vous accueilleront chaleureusement et vous ferons passer un agreable moment. Au rythme de la musique ethiopienne et dans des decors typiques vous ne voudrez plus repartir !
Juan les Pins
“Nice, simple and delicious.”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I went to this restaurant with my colleagues yesterday. The restaurant is simple, nothing very big or fancy. The music was nice and happy and the staff too was nice. Liked the food very much. I never had Ethiopian food before, and with this restaurant the intro to Ethiopian cuisine was very good. I will suggest this place for sure. Hopefully I'll go back to this restaurant very soon.
PS. Lots of options available for vegetarians.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Pranav P

• Korean first
Spain
“Tasty and friendly”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We've been going to this resto a couple of years and it's still a favourite for a lazy, relaxed dinner. It's not perfect, but I always leave happy, hence the 4 stars overall.

Pros:

+ the food, definitely. It's very, very tasty (do try the spicy lentils -misser key wot-, I really can't get enough of them);
+ the atmosphere is laid back and friendly (family run, the owner is very welcoming from the first day);
+ not expensive at all. 2 veggie dishes + 1 meat dish + bottle of wine is plenty for 2 and sets us back around 50€;
+ kitchen seems to close later than other places. However, be careful: generous portions of spicy food don't agree well with late dinners. You've been warned.

Cons:

-It's not fancy. I wouldn't come here for a business dinner or to impress posh in-laws, but I always bring friends or when close family comes visit;
-the toilet. Sure, I've seen plenty worse, but definitely needs renovation - star off for that.
-Service quality varies depending on who's your waiter (but at least everyone tries to be nice);
(On a side note, I agree with the review that disliked the Ethiopian New Year menu last year: we felt let down and stopped coming for a few months after that. We eventually came back and I'm glad we did, but we'll stick to the regular menu from now on.)

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank nushh
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“We used to love it.....”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

As I have written in the title of this critics, we used to love it.....but we do not love it any more. There was a time that we came there quite regularly, as we are very curious, and we enjoy trying different types of cuisine. It did not shock us that one has to eat with hands-it was always fun. The quality of dishes was rather good, a litle overpriced for what it is, but anyway, we were always happy with the meals.We have even been invited twice for the Ethiopian new year, which is in September. The 1st time we went, there was a set menu, which was ... well, ok, but nothing special, but it was fun, as there was the Ethiopian dansing, music, and the atmosphere was really great. The set menu was , a susual, a little overpriced, but acceptable. So , this ( 2011) year, when we received the invitation with the description of menu, we decided to go again, and we also invited our friends. The description of menu in the texto sounded really exceptionnal, the indicated price, if I remember correctly, was between 35 ad 50€ per person for the set menu. Adn now, I will explain, why we will never coma back. The dinner was lousy, we had something really tastless, the portions were tiny, and we paid at least 50€per person, and left hungry. No music, no atmosphere. It was extremely dissapointing to be taken for tourists! the policy of owner was to rip everybody off, economise on food, earn a lot for once, being sure that these clients ar just stupid tourists , who will never come back again. Well, we will never come back again.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank NatachaMC
Belfast, Northern Ireland
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Whilst the food was ok, it wasn't great. This is my second visit to an Ethiopian restaurant (although in other countries, not France), and my husband's third. We both agreed that it was not as good as the others. The waiter wasn't able to explain the dishes, due to the language barrier, so I assume that they don't get many tourists eating there or the tourists who do go, know the menu already. There was no atmosphere downstairs, and it wasn't much better where we were seated upstairs. The back room upstairs was more traditional but we weren't offered a table there. The toilets were horrible. No hand soap or hand drier/ towels, which worried me. Service was minimal. Atmosphere was almost non-existant. Won't be going back.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Ash1971
Bergen, Norway
“Delicious, tasty and exciting food - to be recommended”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This Ethiopian & Eritrean restaurant is located between main street Avenue Jean Médicin and the end of old town, just by tramway Cathédral Vieille Ville or Garibaldi.

There are several dishes on the menu well suitable for all palates, including vegetarians. We ordered the Beyayennatou wish consisted of different tastes like chicken, meat and lentils, all served in both a spicy and a neutral sauce. In addition with this came vegetables, salad and the injera wich is a kind of tortilla.

The waiter/service was polite/excellent and it was very much appreciated that the food was explained and that the chef, a sweet woman, had a chat with the guests. Along with the authentic interior that made the meal something special and different.

Le Soleil d'Asmara is to be recommended!

• Visited July 2011