“Good hotel”

Nice Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #12 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Good hotel, that has been modernised. The decoration of the room was modern, good toiletories and my girlfriend adored the free slippers! Staff were friendly. It's in a good area with shops nearby and a pleasant 20 minute walk to the city centre. I'd recommend this hotel.
There is no parking but you can park in the nearby car park at the railway station.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ScottishTemplar

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed in the Excelsior Hotel for 3 nights, from 28 to 31 March 2014. The hotel was situated in an ideal location, just 2 minutes walk from the Nice Ville train station, which has regular trains to Monte Carlo and Cannes. It was also a 15 minute walk to Nice's Old Town, which was really pretty.

The hotel itself was excellent. We opted for a superior double room, which came with an en suite bathroom. The rain shower was fabulous! Our room had large French windows and overlooked the quiet garden to the rear of the hotel. The only thing I would say is that the area around the train station can be a little unnerving if out late at night, but that is the same with most places and is certainly no fault of the hotel. We were made very welcome in the hotel and the staff were all very polite and (thankfully) spoke English!

All in all, an excellent hotel in a beautiful part of the world. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Room Tip: Go for a superior double, overlooking the back garden if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nickjpwoods1988
Reviewed 23 March 2014

A nice hotel situated close to the Railway station and tp the Bus from the airport. Short walking distance to the center and the beach. Calm area close to many small shops and muslim market places. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bertil B
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Lovely hotel, clean with quirky decor. Very helpful staff and tasty buffet breakfasts. Hotel location is good..........a 10 minute walk from the seafront, 20 minute walk to the old town, 25 minute walk to the port and a stones throw from the Nice Ville railway station and a trip to a variety of destinations including Monaco, Antibes, Cannes, etc. The classic room was not the biggest room ever but it was fine for us. The toilet was tiny but the shower room was fine. All in all, we'd definitely go back to this hotel given the chance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mart65B
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a very difficult review for me, because this hotel was a very strange experience for me. I have only 1 con for the hotel & many pros. However the 1 con I have was extremely important (for me) and I can’t believe that no one in their previous reviews have mentioned this as explicitly. So that has led me to believe that only I am disturbed by this, I hope not.

1 & only problem with this hotel was their toilet: the toilet bowl was not in the bathroom as you would usually expect. It was behind another door, which I think should have been a closet. (Please see pictures) If you close the door to the toilet, (which you will have to if you are more than 1 person) you cannot accommodate in the ‘toilet closet’ comfortably. I am not a very tall person but this was an extremely difficult thing to deal with, there was no room between the door & my knees. Now I have no idea who in their right mind would design such a bathroom. It’s as if they are forcing their customers to pay for the higher room category by designing an awful bathroom. I suspect once people see the rooms they often come down to complain to the front desk which is why the manager (the one doing the night shift) was very defensive on the onset, was rude & had his answers prepared. Immediately offered us a superior room at an extra charge, which means I would be paying 20 Euros extra per night for maybe 2 cms of space between the ‘toilet closet’ door & my knees. It’s the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. We had 3 rooms and all had the same design, I’m not sure if they have any rooms with the typically designed bathrooms.

Pros:
• Recently renovated room, quiet beautifully done in bright colours and a travel theme. They had these beautiful tables that looked like luggage but there were no drawers to them (although there were handle on them, pretend handles - another design flaw) however it wasn’t so much of a problem for us.
• Located 2 mins walking from the train station (for Monte Carlo & Eze)
• 10 mins walking distance from the promenade, city center, eating joints and the pubs.
• Beds & linen were of good quality, everything in room was clean and well taken care off.
• Manager that handled the front desk during the day, she was very helpful & courteous, always had a smile to offer (unlike the night manager)
• Supermarkets at 5 minutes distance- they don’t provide water bottles in the room, I suppose tap water was fine to drink but I don’t prefer that. Again not a major issue.

It can be value for money, if you can get over the design flaws. But if I ever have to go back to Nice, I personally wouldn't stay here again. The pros don’t offset the comfort to use the toilet.

Room Tip: if you must stay here, please go for the higher room categories, the toilet area for the classic roo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank SapnaJ
excelsiornice, Directeur général at Nice Excelsior Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for the time taken to give us your feelings about the Nice Excelsior hotel.
We understand the problem you have encountered about the size of the toilet room and we are totally agree with you. We are in a historical building Belle Époque style (1898) and unfortunately we need to respect the age of the building and it was impossible for us the push the walls and make bigger toilet rooms. The size you have encountered was not made on purpose and it concerns only few rooms.
We are also sorry about the way you were received during the night and we will do all the necessary actions to improve it.
It is very important for us to give our guests the best stay in Nice and we hope you can change your mind and come another time to see the improvement.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a week and had a very enjoyable stay.The location is excellent for transfer to and from the airport by bus which appeared to be the best option as the bus stop at the airport is right outside the arrivals and it then stops a couple of minutes walk from the hotel.The train station and local transport are all within easy reach as are restaurants, coffee shops and a supermarket for drinks etc.I would definitely go for a superior room if you are staying more than two or three nights as the standard rooms are quite small, and as the bed is a king size this limits the space .Also the bathroom and toilet in a standard room whilst being beautifully fitted out can be challenging,especially for larger people.We initially booked a standard room but as we were there for the week changed to a superior room, but the choice is down to the individual .The beds are king size with good quality mattresses and bedding and the rooms are decorated in striking colours with imitation orient express trunks.Unfortunately these are only decorative and cannot be used for storage which some guests may find a bit limited as there is just a closet with hanging space and one shelf.The wi fi worked fine,you basically had to sign back in if you had shut it down when going out.The staff were very polite and helpful and we could not fault this hotel for anything.We will stay here again if we return to Nice,

Room Tip: Any superior room overlooking garden.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozzie044
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed here for three nights, The hotel has been newly decorated and is very clean and fresh. We opted for the superior room which was spacious with a view on to the garden area. There are also three rooms at the back in a separate building which I would think about asking for on a second visit. A ten minute walk from the sea front. It's a two minute walk from the train station yet the street is quiet and the area seemed fine. Other things I liked were crisp good quality bed linen, good coffee in the morning and very helpful staff. Thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: One of the superior rooms at the back of the building or ask for the rooms in the garden
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple