“Beware of debit card charges with this service”
Review of Velo Bleu Bike

Velo Bleu Bike
Ranked #64 of 77 Outdoor Activities in Nice
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Whilst in Nice we found bikes convenient, and as very few buses at night a good way to get home. We did find some of the bikes in poor condition and it did take quite a lot of working out how to use the bikes initially. However, beware if you use your credit/debit card to pay for the bikes as despite info saying that 300 euros not debited from your account but is just a way of providing a deposit, I got home to find that 300 euros had been debited on 4 occasions that we got bikes and almost 1 week after getting home I am still waiting for return of this 'deposit' for 2 of these occasions - quite a shock!! On average it is taking 4-5 days for return of deposit which is not acceptable. Certainly wouldn't use them again if we return to Nice!

6  Thank Jenny W
"port"
in 6 reviews
"prom"

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We rode the Velio bikes in Paris and Lyon where the systems are much easier.

In Nice, you can't set it up online as there is no English version. Also, they take a 300 Euro deposit which still hasn't been returned 3 days later. Finally, you need to enter a phone number however our Australian number was excepted (French number not required).

Overall I would recommend hiring a bike - it's the best way to find secluded beaches and see the area!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

As a traveller it's a terrible system, unless you have a cell phone working in the country you need to start at one of only 7 machines that take credit card (and it puts a 150euro deposit on card). Once you find a machine that works and rent a bike, you find out they're very rickety and rattle, and change gears on a whim as you're biking. Next time I'll just pay a few extra euros and rent from a real bicycle rental place. Only positive thing is that the price is right (1euro/day) and there are stations everywhere (once you get pass code from first station that takes credit card directly).

3  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I regularly visit Nice and I have tried for a second time to make this work. I have registered for Veloblue via the Internet and entered my credit card details. On trying to pay for a days hire, it would not accept my UK postcode.

So this morning I have gone to the office opposite the Nice train station. Assistance only in French. In short, advised just to call by mobile phone when at a bike station. So much for wasting my time registering online. The one thing that is important was that I was shown a sheet of paper by the assistant written in several languages saying that €150 per bike will be charged to your credit card as a deposit. I emphasise: will be charged. Hence the reports from other users saying that deposit money was charged not just that credit card details were taken in case a deposit needed to be charged. €150 per bike will be charged. No details were given about when the money would be "uncharged" after the rental period is finished.

I have read today the Veloblue leaflets in French and English. Read the website in French and translated English. I can find no reference to this €150 euro actually being charged. Even in the Terms and Conditions I cannot see it ( I am no expert at understanding legal French ).

Overall this seems unsatisfactory. I will therefore give the Veloblue a miss until it becomes more user friendly and upfront with its credit card charging policy. Come on Nice, get this sorted.

7  Thank SlimRobert