“Stay away” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #159 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Tillsonburg, Canada
“Stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2007

Friendly, helpful staff, great location, great views, BUT the lobby is dirty and uncared for: dirty dishes on the patio tables for the 24 hours we were there, cob webs full of dead flies in the light fixtures,....and our room, (room 8): no hot water, rotting baseboards, 1 foot squares of peeling paint on the walls and over our heads as we laid in bed, mildew in the shower, large pieces of peeling wallpaper, dirty and water stained indoor/outdoor carpet and no hair dryer although they told me they did. We had reserved for 2 nights, but after one night, we couldn't wait to get out!! We're not picky, but this place was nasty.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — dirty, uncared for
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seattle, Wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2007

I left a very valuable necklace in my room when I checked out. When I called the staff and was frantic they said they found it and it would be at the front desk! Talk about happy. For that alone I will give Villa Eden a great review. The best room is the one with the view of the water. Room 205 was large but the place needs a bit of an overhaul and some new paint but for the money and the location it is perfect. The bathroom was clean and it was a great shower, and the beds were clean and comfortable too. The place must have been grand in its day with its high ceilings and large windows. If you are not into steps you may wish to think about another location with a lift but it wasn’t too bad. I would have liked a history lesson on the Russian Countess who lived there but it was a neat experience just thinking about it. It was perfect getting up in the morning and walking across the street and either go running or swimming. The hotel is right on the bus line, which will take you to the airport or into town. Also, there is a Taxi stand right around the corner and the casinos are about six blocks down the street. A nice walk and you will pass many choices of brasseries to stop and get a bite to eat or something to drink. I really did enjoy my stay and will go back again!

• Liked — the location and the price along with the friendly staff
  • Disliked — needs a little paint.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank G8life
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2006

Nice little hotel overlooking the boardwalk and sea.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Not a bad hotel for the money.

But not for everybody. I've stayed in cleaner and nicer hotels, but this hotel was only 74 euros a night plus breakfast. If you want luxury, this is not your place to stay.

The carpets and rooms are a bit worn. Bath is small. Slight smell in hallways. But great views of the sea from windows.

Again a very friendly staff, if you are looking to save money, and need a place just to sleep while off seeing the sites by day this might be for you.

• Liked — Staff, location.
  • Disliked — Age and wear and tear on rooms.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank D10S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2004

Yuck. We stayed in September, 2004. We had two rooms, not the ones facing the ocean. The word is: get the top floor ocean-facing room, or don't go at all. There were odd odors, the bathrooms were too small to avoid getting everything wet when showering, toilets cheap cheap cheap, I felt uncomfortable showering and walking on the carpet w/out shoes. The air conditioner worked and it is right across from the beach but be advised that Nice is noisy and huge. I would opt for Menton next time, I have been there twice and had a great time. Good luck!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2004

I visited the hotel once again October 2003 and was pleased with the service then. The workers were terrific and we had another great stay. However, in the year since then it seems the service and quality of the hotel isn't up to those standards any more. I referred some friends to the hotel - and being used to staying in hostels - didn't get good service nor were their rooms comfortable. It seems the management is changed (or is completely lacking)...meaning the owner may be skimping on essentials.
I will not be staying there because I don't want my recent good memories tarnished which is a shame because the hotel is (was) so cool. It was once the home of a Russian Baroness if my history serves me correct. The receptionists were always nice and even let me borrow their computer last time - I felt like I worked there. They had the nicest lady who was the most warm and welcoming person...and really a hoot to talk to. Alas, she is no longer there. I remember the staff bending over backwards for us each time and we are not demanding, glamorous travelers either.
My advice is to maybe look into it, but try this site for other alternatives in Nice. We are full-on American travelers so I don't think my friends were singled out and treated rudely for simply being Americans. I just don't know what happened to my once favorite hotel. It must be the ownership...problems always start at the top. I'll keep you updated if I hear any more.
Happy travels in the meantime!

4 Thank wago70
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2004

I stayed at this Hotel Villa Eden abt 2 years ago as I had read so much about it in travel guides and on the net. However, I was a little disappointed at it's shabbiness and antiqe-y old furniture given the fact that I had paid a premium for the room over other budget hotels. To top it all off, I was burgled in the middle of the night and my room was on the 2nd floor!! If you like their rustic style and decide to stay there anyway, please make sure you keep the balcony doors locked!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2003

I have been to Hotel Villa Eden twice now: in October of 1999 and October of 2001 - and have loved both times. The gentleman that works the front desk is friendly and out-going (great sense of humor). The rooms have that shabby-chic thing happening and some rooms have a great view. The old decor just rocks my boat! It is nice and quiet and the place is just overall very comfortable. Yes, this will be the hotel I stay in this October (2003) as well. There is a laundromat around the corner and a crosswalk right in front to get to the beach. Have breakfast right on the front porch, relax and enjoy your day. Nice is a wonderful city - clean, safe and very relaxed.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member